Thermarest Bunkends - Canvas or Vinyl ? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Thermarest Bunkends - Canvas or Vinyl ?

I'm attempting to purchase 303 Protectact for my Thermarest bunkends. However, after seraching online, checking the bunkend tag, and searching through my owners manual - I've found no information on what the material is. I think its canvas but I'm wrong at least 50% of the time. I want to make sure I purchase the correct protectant and the stuffs not cheap, so any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

Re: Thermarest Bunkends - Canvas or Vinyl ?

Its NYLON!

I contacted Dutchman/Kodiak customer service but they were unable to tell me what the Thermarest bunkend material is. They did however, give me the phone # for Cascade Designs, Inc. who manufactured the bunkends for Dutchman from 2006-2009. I left a voicemail and in 2 business days I had a return call from the VP. He informed me the exterior of the bunkend is nylon and the interior has a plastic coating (maybe polyoethelyne - can't remember for sure). The exterior should be cleaned with a mild, non-detergent soap. He suggested Nikwax be used for re-sealing and UV protection at the begining of each camping season. He did mention that if mildew forms on the exterior surface it can be washed off. But if the mildew moves into the fabric - between the nylon and the interior plastic coating - then it can't be removed. He was even kind enough to send me an e-mail attachement with Tent Care Instructions.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Hi DawgLB,
You got more results than I did when trying to find out how to care for my thermarest bunk ends. I have a 2006 Kodiak 235 and my bunk ends really need cleaning. I was thinking of using ivory liquid soap, because that is very mild. Did your camper come with the thermarest self-inflating mattresses? We replaced ours with regular blow up air mattresses.
Laurab is offline   Reply With Quote