The saga continues, Can not open GRAY WATER TANK. - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #21

Florida
you may want to check to see where this is coming from...

As to the under belly cover material. It holds water! I got a bit of a bath when I first opened it up. Scared me! Think Black Water

could be a leak in the plumbing!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #22

South Carolina
Not sure. But it is not coming from the trailer it self. No plumbing leaks.

The material is totally intact. The only place for water entry is on the edges. Along the frame rails. Soooooooooo. The only way for water to enter is:

Rain water on the highway.

Me being indiscriminate with a garden hose.

Or condensation.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:32 AM   #23

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Not sure. But it is not coming from the trailer it self. No plumbing leaks.

The material is totally intact. The only place for water entry is on the edges. Along the frame rails. Soooooooooo. The only way for water to enter is:

Rain water on the highway.

Me being indiscriminate with a garden hose.

Or condensation.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I would guess, no, no and no. The belly should be dry....
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:01 AM   #24

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I would guess, no, no and no. The belly should be dry....

The belly is dry. No plumbing leaks.

Read my description: "The water gets trapped in all those little holes and it goes all the way across the width of trailer. A surprising amount of water. At the rear of the trailer the material is humped under the big dump pipe. Creating a reservoir."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190122_154947.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	5214  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #25

South Carolina
This is where the water is collecting and coming out of when I dropped the under belly cover in the back.
Out of the little holes in the "corrugated" material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water source.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	5216  
Old 01-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #26

Arizona
Thanks ArmyVet....I was wondering about that last week as I lay underneath the trailer taping up the side edges of the underbelly material.
Guess this weekend I'll look at the fore and aft edges as well.....see which way the ridges are running. Tape is cheap...

BTW, there is a black Gorilla tape that is thick and very sticky and strong. That's what I'm using and sticking very well after a month so far....Found it at WalMart...but make sure you get the really thick stuff.
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #27

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
Thanks ArmyVet....I was wondering about that last week as I lay underneath the trailer taping up the side edges of the underbelly material.
Guess this weekend I'll look at the fore and aft edges as well.....see which way the ridges are running. Tape is cheap...

BTW, there is a black Gorilla tape that is thick and very sticky and strong. That's what I'm using and sticking very well after a month so far....Found it at WalMart...but make sure you get the really thick stuff.

Arizona,

I actually used the Gorilla tape on the leading edge of the trailer last year. The factory job allowed the wind at highway speed to catch the material and created a "sail effect" . Just have not checked it to see how it is standing up. Will check when we get another 70 degree day

I guess I will join you and do the rest of the trailer also Again as soon as we get a nicer day. We put out trip on hold for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info!

Have fun!!!

Bill
Old 01-25-2019, 11:40 PM   #28

Colorado
tank heaters

While you have the belly cover off, consider adding tank heaters, if you don't already have them. I had to slice the belly cover to get to my tanks to add the heaters. Stitched them together with tie wraps, then foamed, then gorilla taped.
I found the 120VAC tank heaters VERY CHEAP on ebay and amazon. I have big batteries and inverter, so this works well for me. The 12V heaters seem to be expensive for some reason.
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:09 AM   #29

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuresolar@gmail.com View Post
While you have the belly cover off, consider adding tank heaters, if you don't already have them. I had to slice the belly cover to get to my tanks to add the heaters. Stitched them together with tie wraps, then foamed, then gorilla taped.
I found the 120VAC tank heaters VERY CHEAP on ebay and amazon. I have big batteries and inverter, so this works well for me. The 12V heaters seem to be expensive for some reason.

Good idea to do while you can. I only have about 4 feet off the rear. So not a lot I can do there. And I will depend on the under belly heat ducts that are there for now. We camped in 16 degree weather so far with no problems.

Im sure someday the whole cover will have to come off.......ughh

Have fun
Bill
Old 06-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #30

Ohio
Hi ArmyVeteran !

We have 2018 283BHSL with the same issues with the valve cables. Just wondering if your fix is holding up? We are debating whether to cut the underbelly and attempt or take it to the dealer. I can't find any plumbing diagrams, so I'm not sure where to cut. Thanks for any updates.

Thank you,
Deborah
Debalynn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #31

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debalynn8 View Post
Hi ArmyVeteran !

We have 2018 283BHSL with the same issues with the valve cables. Just wondering if your fix is holding up? We are debating whether to cut the underbelly and attempt or take it to the dealer. I can't find any plumbing diagrams, so I'm not sure where to cut. Thanks for any updates.

Thank you,
Deborah
Sorry we went and traded in the Kodiak. Have not been on the forum for a while. Since January 2020.

To answer your question the fix worked until we traded it in. Hopefully still working for the new owners. I am assuming you fixed your problems by now.

Have fun!