Television mount - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Television mount

I just purchased a 2014 Aerolite 174e and there is a sticker approximately 3.5x3.5" indicating "LCD tv mounting location" does that mean the mounting bracket must be on the sticker or on that wall in line with the sticker?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

yankpuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #2

Wyoming
On that wall. There will be a plywood panel in the wall behind that area for mounting. I suggest using a stud finder so you can identify the exact boundaries of that panel.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:31 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Thank you so very much. The manual doesn't mention a word about mounting a tv, only the sticker on the wall.
yankpuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I have a similar sticker on my Coleman. FWIW the piece of plywood on mine is roughly 2'x3'. Use a stud finder, or just push against the wall with your hand and you can probably figure out where it starts and stops.

Also a word of warning about mounting the new bracket MAKE SURE THE SCREWS ARE SHORT ENOUGH!!! No I didn't do it, but I saw screws protruding through the side wall of a very expensive 5'ver. Apparently someone used the screws that came with the bracket, they were a good 1" too long. That is going to be one expensive TV bracket install.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:37 AM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have a similar sticker on my Coleman. FWIW the piece of plywood on mine is roughly 2'x3'. Use a stud finder, or just push against the wall with your hand and you can probably figure out where it starts and stops.

Also a word of warning about mounting the new bracket MAKE SURE THE SCREWS ARE SHORT ENOUGH!!! No I didn't do it, but I saw screws protruding through the side wall of a very expensive 5'ver. Apparently someone used the screws that came with the bracket, they were a good 1" too long. That is going to be one expensive TV bracket install.

Aaron
Maybe the guy should have used bolts, with sealant, washers and nuts on the outside! Ouch! On our little guy, I used wood screws so small I worried they wouldn't hold. But 4 of anything can hold a small, 12lb TV. I wedge the original Styrofoam blocks onto the sides of the TV while traveling, it wedges the TV tight against the wall. Otherwise, the TV can rattle a little, stressing those little screws.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #6

Ontario
My mounting area in our was on an inside wall, so I knew the max length of screws I needed. I mounted a 24" flat-screen with built in dvd player with no issues. The bracket is hold good and tight on the wall.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #7

Wyoming
I'll just add that I attached a velcro strap to the wall so that I could hold the TV in place while travelling. Good point regarding screw length, I remember screwing slowly and constantly checking the other side of the wall because I was paranoid about going all the way through, lol.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
I just checked my new bracket that came in late last week... yup the screws are too long. I have some lag bolts the same diameter but a good bit shorter. Plan on using those. Also plan on the velcro hold down strap. Still have to pick out a new TV, the old one is a 17" LCD with a cracked screen.

Aaron
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #9

South Carolina
Aaron, here's the one we bought. Like it for three reasons. Price good, runs on 12V, so the cigarette lighter outlet by the mount is perfect. (To run on 120VAC, use the optional transformer, so obviously not needed in our Coleman's.) Finally, built-DVD (not BluRay) player. Downside - sound is weak, so I run a mini-plug stereo cord from headphone output to camper stereo aux input. Sounds great coming out of radio speakers. Amazon.com: Naxa LED AC/DC Widescreen ATSC TV with DVD: Electronics
Old 01-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #10

South Carolina
Correction, the 120VAC to 12VDC transformer is not optional, it does come with the TV. Using it is only needed when plugging in to 120VAC. The TV itself runs on 12VDC.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Marty,
We camp plugged in 99% of the time. Wifey likes TV, me not so much. I am actually looking at a 28" Vizio. We have a larger one in the house that she likes. I got this bracket, just the right size and fits perfectly.

For DVD player I usually use my laptop, or hers. We have a lot of movies in digital format saved to a portable hard drive.

Aaron
Old 01-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Marty,
We camp plugged in 99% of the time. Wifey likes TV, me not so much. I am actually looking at a 28" Vizio. We have a larger one in the house that she likes. I got this bracket, just the right size and fits perfectly.

For DVD player I usually use my laptop, or hers. We have a lot of movies in digital format saved to a portable hard drive.

Aaron
For the record we love our 32" Vizio, it's super light and has a good picture. My inside tv is an LG and it's super heavy so I like to pull it down while traveling, the mount is a Vue Point, and we got it at wal mart, but I can't find the link for some reason. You can pull the tv down in 10 seconds with this mount, no fooling around with an allen wrench or bolt head like most mounts have.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #13

South Carolina
Yes, I like Vizios also. Both our household TVs are Vizios. I got my mount from an internet specialty place, works well. I didn't need a left-right swivel, just a little up-down tilt. One allen bolt, which, come to think of it, I may replace with some kind of long bolt with a wingnut head. (will have to hand-craft that, they don't have those at Lowes! LOL)
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 AM   #14

Ohio
we bought a Kodiak in 2013 the dealer put it in in fall of last year 2014 we removed the factory one and it was a 22" we are going to put in a 28" or a 32" the one we added we like better had a lot more channels it would turn on the front one the(factory one ) it was a mess
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #15

North Carolina
Outdoor TV mounting

We have a travel trailer with an outdoor compartment for a fridge (included) and TV mount. I am trying to figure out if it is intended to be permanently installed, or if I need to mount it so that it gets removed and stored inside the RV when we are moving. Several follow on questions; from reading the forums, it appears the install area is only about 2 x 3 inches or so. Is there a mount that is preferred over others for this application? Do the standard H-harnesses work? I only have 2.5 inches from the mounting wall to the edge of the door, so are there any recommendations on TVs? (up to 34" diagonal) ...obviously this isn't an issue if I find out I should remove the TV each time.

Thank you to all for your expertise and assistance.
neumanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #16

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumanje View Post
We have a travel trailer with an outdoor compartment for a fridge (included) and TV mount. I am trying to figure out if it is intended to be permanently installed, or if I need to mount it so that it gets removed and stored inside the RV when we are moving. Several follow on questions; from reading the forums, it appears the install area is only about 2 x 3 inches or so. Is there a mount that is preferred over others for this application? Do the standard H-harnesses work? I only have 2.5 inches from the mounting wall to the edge of the door, so are there any recommendations on TVs? (up to 34" diagonal) ...obviously this isn't an issue if I find out I should remove the TV each time.

Thank you to all for your expertise and assistance.
I was told that my outdoor tv was to be removed when in transport by the dealer, but I removed the back wall to find that the mounting supports are the exact same as the inside tv has. I reinforced them a bit and hung a 32" vizio (very light) out there, bought a nylon strap, and have never had any issues with it.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #17

North Carolina
Outdoor TV mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I was told that my outdoor tv was to be removed when in transport by the dealer, but I removed the back wall to find that the mounting supports are the exact same as the inside tv has. I reinforced them a bit and hung a 32" vizio (very light) out there, bought a nylon strap, and have never had any issues with it.
What type of mount did you use? A square mount or h-mount (fixed or articulating)? How much room did you have between the wall and the door (when closed)?

Thanks.
neumanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #18

Nevada
Bought vizio 40 inch smart for living room. Installed and immediately started having problems. Have a 32 inch vizio smart tv in bedroom really like it. After the new 40 inch continually turning itself off returned it and got Samsung 40 and it looks and works great might be worth your time to check reviews on vizio. Anyway just think i could have even installed a larger one. Used a fixed mount that tilts up and down.
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #19

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumanje View Post
What type of mount did you use? A square mount or h-mount (fixed or articulating)? How much room did you have between the wall and the door (when closed)?

Thanks.
if you look in post #12 above, I have a link to the mount. My outside "kitchen' wall is angled, so it's very close on the left to touching when the tv is folded away and strapped for travel. I did that on purpose so if the strap ever fails, the tv should just rest on the door and not fly around. I don't have a specific pic of it folded in, but here's one of it pulled out.