Swaying while towing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Massachusetts
Swaying while towing

Picked up my Kodiak 300BHSL the other day and was alarmed by how much it sways going down the highway. I am towing it with my 2003 Ford Excursion and it was set up at the dealer with a weight distribution hitch. Every time I approach 65, the things starts swaying uncontrollably. I have to back off the throttle on the truck and tap the trailer brakes to get it to stop. I have a fair amount of towing experience and this is the first time I have run into this with a production trailer. I would think that the trailer was designed to go down the road well. Anyone have any experience like this with one of these trailers? Is it possible it doesn't have enough tongue weight?

cassatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #2

British Columbia
Some points from an article written by Jose Adauto de Souza & Mark Polk.. that I found on line. Mr. Polk is the RV Guru. Hope this helps.

The most important items associated with trailer sways are:
a) underinflated tires
b) improper weight distribution
c) improper hitch adjustments
d) no sway control
e) air pressure from transfer trucks passing
f) long downhill (descent)
g) lateral wind
h) towing speed
i) inadequate towing vehicle
j) overload conditions
k) hitch to tow vehicle rear axle distance
l) poor trailer design
m) Mismatched tow vehicle & trailer
n) Not completing trailer/tow vehicle checklist

Coops

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
You need sway control.
zzpw3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

Massachusetts
I might have failed to mention that I do have a sway control bar. I may have had a tire issue. The morning following my trip down the highway, I noticed that I had a flat tire on the rear axle. I am sure it was somewhat round when I parked it but it may have been low.

I havent been back to trailer since (it is in a park in Florida). I am going next week so I will fix the flat, fill all the tires up to spec, and tighten the sway control bar.

Thanks for the help!
cassatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

Wyoming
I'm sure you checked but ensure that your tow vehicle weight capacity has not been exceeded after loading your trailer. This is one of the primary causes of excessive sway.

You should not be towing at 65 mph either. When towing you have to think like a trucker- a professional one, that is. You shouldn't be driving like you're in the family car. Remember you're stopping distance is much longer and your reaction time is also longer.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
I don't know about towing at 65 MPH, but you certainly should not exceed 65 MPH (at least not for long). Trailer tires are not rated beyond 65 MPH.
zzpw3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

South Carolina
Best solution but cost $2,000 is a good hitch set up such as Propride (I have this one), or Hensley. This will absolutely stop you sway problem. I travel comfortably at 65 all day with no problem.
428303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Michigan
Have towed a lot of miles with a tow behind, work trailer is still a 28 ft beaver tail, no equalizer, no sway control, tandem axle, pulled by a dually currently but a lot of years towing it with a F250 single wheel about the same wheelbase as your Excursion. So here's my list to check, Tires should be aired to the top of the recommend manufacture rating, (Soft tire on the trailer could be a cause but have towed with a flat and not know it till a passing motorist flagged me down), sway control may need to be tighter, ( had a buddy that used a cheater bar on his sway bar tensioner), but the thing that is the quickest to cause sway for me is if I get the center of the load to far to the rear. By that I mean if I get one of my tractors to far back on the deck behind the trailer axles I get sway. So I would suggest take a quick look as to how the trailer is loaded, and you may need to throw more stuff to the front. I would guess one of the three things is causing your problem. My son has almost the same setup and he runs 70 all the time. Hope this helps.
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #9

Michigan
One other thought, if the trailer weight bias is to the rear, by that I mean less than at least 800 lbs of tongue weight, the soft tire would probably make the sway problem much worse.
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

Ohio
lat weekend we blew all over even with sway contol
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #11

Texas
Cassatia:

You have many good responses here to consider. Each and everyone of these recomendations can come into play. Take your time and work through them. Some of the hitch recomendations will help. Be advised that there are several different hitches that can make a big difference, but none of them will compensate if you have bigger problems in play. I have used a pretty affordable hitch (Equalizer) on three trailers with great control.

In addition to the fine recomendations above, I will add the following...

Whatever hitch you use, make certain that it is hooked up properly. I would not accept that it is right, based on a dealers installation! Your trailer should be very level when hooked up to the tow vehicle, allowing for even load distribution on your trailer's tires. When using a hitch that redistributes the load, you need to make sure that you have not "unloaded" your tow vehicles front wheels. Depending on what type of "sway control" you are using, you might have to revisit the settings. You have a pretty long trailer, compared to your tow vehicle. Trailer length along with tongue weight can dramatically effect your sway. For example, I went from a 26 foot trailer to a 33 foot trailer and needed to make adjustments. In the end, the longer trailer swayed less, I think this was due to a heavier tongue weight.

Take your time and get it right so that you will not be wore out after each drive. I for one prefer slower speeds for many reasons. My wife will only go with me if I stay under 62 mph, sure would miss that woman's cooking!!
dave56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #12

Florida
I agree, a lot of good suggestions on the forum, I also would stress not taking a dealers word for the correct hitch hook up....Mine was originally hooked up by dealer and it was so wrong and the information they gave was incorrrect.. I now use an equalizer hitch which is fairly inexpensive and does a great job when set correctly...I usually tow at 62-65mph and have very minimal problems with sway, No white knuckle ride....
Anderson Hitch
Coneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #13

Indiana
I'll have to admit that the reason that I have had 5th wheels is that the front weight of the trailer is right on the rear axle.
We've had pop ups previous to that about 17 or 18 years ago.
Our first 5er was a 21 and 1/2 foot Jayco, a 27 and 1/2 foot Prowler, and a 32' Sportsman KZ. Finally, we have purchased this Infinity in March 2012.
My motive was that I would not have to worry about sway control with a 5er. Also, I could back into places at sharper angles if I needed to. I do have to be concerned about weight over the axle (whether I have enough truck to haul the rig). I do lose storage space in the body of the pickup due to the hitch.
If I had a large SUV with several children I would probably have a TT.
I personally have felt more comfortable with 5ers.
Everybody enjoys what they have and have their reasons for what they've purchased.

"Happy campin'".

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #14

Texas
I believe for TT over 26' you should have a dual anti sway setup. I can vouch for the Equalizer hitch.
kjconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #15

North Carolina
no sway just rockin

I dont have a problem with sway, but with kinda rockin front to rear if you know what I mean.I have a sway bar and e-hitch.you can adjust cargo for more tongue weight or less but it still does it.My truck likes to run 52 to55 mph and no sway and 11mpg..just rocks the baby sometimes
oldrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #16

Minnesota
When I switched from a 26 foot trailer to a 31 foot trailer I immediately noticed a difference in sway. I bought the Reese cam sway control and it made a huge difference to the better. Rear tires on my truck make a big difference. Load range E with 80 pounds of air is needed but even then all tires are not equal. Wrangler never works for me, Firestone seems better Goodrich works too. Load is a big cause too. If I have water in the back tank the sway changes. I try to stay under 65, it is safer.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #17

Minnesota
Read more suggestions and I agree the dealer has not been a reliable source to set up a hitch for me. I found a shop here and have gone back each time I get a new trailer and had them set it up and advise me. They installed my Reese sway cams and leveled the truck and trailer. They checked my hitch and greased all the parts. This was after the dealer said all was OK.

Louie is offline   Reply With Quote