Slide Out Manual Crank Aerolite 213 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

California
Slide Out Manual Crank Aerolite 213

Does anyone know where the manual crank connection is for the slide out on this trailer. The guy doing the orientation showed us a tool and said you had to rip off the head board over the slide out. That did not sound right. I did a lot of searching but cannot figure it out.

Expect it will be important some day.

Mauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauger View Post
Does anyone know where the manual crank connection is for the slide out on this trailer. The guy doing the orientation showed us a tool and said you had to rip off the head board over the slide out. That did not sound right. I did a lot of searching but cannot figure it out.

Expect it will be important some day.
If that is where the motor is located he may be right. It depends on what type of slides you have as to the means and methods for operating them manually.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
wyo

Virginia
If I remember what I was told... dead center on top of slide out.. behind center wood trim.
wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo View Post
If I remember what I was told... dead center on top of slide out.. behind center wood trim.
On our camper, it's was just pin nails holding it up. I last time it fell off I put it back with some real finishing nails.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

California
Manual Slide Out

Thank You. That is consistent with what the dealership said although they were not as specific about left or right side. Turns out neither. I would have had more confidence if he did not keep saying, "I think".

I will have to research how that header comes off but on first impression it looks like you have to pry it off. Maybe you can push it up with two people. Hard to believe you would have to ruin the header to get to the mechanism.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Thank You. That is consistent with what the dealership said although they were not as specific about left or right side. Turns out neither. I would have had more confidence if he did not keep saying, "I think".

I will have to research how that header comes off but on first impression it looks like you have to pry it off. Maybe you can push it up with two people. Hard to believe you would have to ruin the header to get to the mechanism.
Unless they have changed their fasteners, you won't have to use much more than your bare hands to pull it off. Just don't try to drive the pins out the front, pull them out from the back side and you won't damage it.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #7

California
Slide Out Overhead

Thank You. Does not sound too bad. Hopefully it will never be needed.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Thank You. Does not sound too bad. Hopefully it will never be needed.
If it's any consolation, my slide has been in and out probably 30+ times in the last year and a half, with zero problems. I'm actually impressed with how fast it goes in and out. Most of schwintecs problems seem to be with the big fancy slides on those high dollar voltages

Just keep it lubed with this http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industrial.../dp/B000P1E7ZS
Old 05-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #9

California
Slide out lube

Just ordered it. Just on the cables I assume.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Just ordered it. Just on the cables I assume.
You have a cable slide? Whoops, i'm sure it needs lubing, but I was referring the the "old" system from 2014. Forgot they went to cable slides.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #11

California
Cable Slide Out

Okay. That explains not getting a big response.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:09 AM   #12

Oregon
I am as puzzled as you Mauger. I have the cable system also. My dealer told me the same thing. He said to take a wrench and manually turn the sprocket to close the slide. I took a closer look and find it very hard to believe that this procedure is possible. The motor and spocket is mounted on the wall above the slide. If the slide is in the closed position, you will NOT be able to reach the sprocket when you remove the center wooden plate cover. Therefore the reverse is true. If in the extended position, you will not be able to fully close the slide. Another note, there is nothing on the sprocket that you can attach a wrench to.It's just not possible. So what is the correct answer?
Maybe the correct answer is that there is no manual override.
toes in the water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:20 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Look very carefully at the motor sprocket. IIRC there is mounting nut that can be turned, not going to be easy that is for sure. I haven't ever messed with a top mounted cable slide. I do know on the bottom mount that the sprocket on the motor is mounted with a nut and that is what you need to turn to bring it in.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:28 AM   #14

California
Found Manual Slideout

It is behind the headboard over the slide out on top. All I had to do was go to the side and look over the top to see the cables and the chains. The head board is an easy removal.

Thank Everyone
Old 05-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #15

Michigan
What part of the slide are you supposed to lubricate and where is it located at? Do you happen to know if there are instruction in the owners manual. I bought the spray you recommended, just want to do it properly. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #16

California
Slide Lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefboggum View Post
What part of the slide are you supposed to lubricate and where is it located at? Do you happen to know if there are instruction in the owners manual. I bought the spray you recommended, just want to do it properly. Thanks!

I also ordered the recommended spray which is arriving today. I need to do more research on exactly how to use it. I am assuming it will go either on the cables, chain, or both. Not even sure it is the right type of lubricant as the recommendation came specific to a different set-up.

We are talking about this:

CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 16 oz. (Net weight: 11 oz) Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White
Old 05-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #17

Michigan
Yes that is what I ordered from a previous post that recommended it.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #18

California
Manual Slide Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by toes in the water View Post
I am as puzzled as you Mauger. I have the cable system also. My dealer told me the same thing. He said to take a wrench and manually turn the sprocket to close the slide. I took a closer look and find it very hard to believe that this procedure is possible. The motor and spocket is mounted on the wall above the slide. If the slide is in the closed position, you will NOT be able to reach the sprocket when you remove the center wooden plate cover. Therefore the reverse is true. If in the extended position, you will not be able to fully close the slide. Another note, there is nothing on the sprocket that you can attach a wrench to.It's just not possible. So what is the correct answer?
Maybe the correct answer is that there is no manual override.
With my Owner's Manual there was a (maybe 12") drill adapter that I believe goes into the motor to manually crank it. If the slide out is extended, which is the biggest potential problem, then it is accessible but harder to get the Head Board off because the screws are in the back.

With the slide out in, then it is easy to take the head board off but very hard to reach the motor.

I realize we are saying the same thing. It may be possible to add a connection to the head board making it easier to come off, such as hanging it more than drilling it.

At least if the problem occurs when the slide out is in there is still mobility.