Short story, then question. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Short story, then question.

OK. The wife and I went out for the first time this year a few weeks ago. Great trip, nothing went wrong, wonderful time. Last friday we went out again to a new spot on our favorite lake. Pulled up, set up, opened the kitchen to start setting up, HOLY S%^&! WTF died in here?!?!?!? Back up, gag, regain composure. Look around kitchen from a distance, nothing. Open refer and just about lose breakfast all over the trailer. So I held my breath, squinted (cause I thought that might help) and opened the fridge. WOW. I've never smelled anything so foul. I've ridden a motorcycle past dead skunks on 100 degree days, and they were like smelling roses compared to this. Nothing in the fridge, so I pop open the freezer and see the offender. A bag of liquid hamburger patties. Yes, I said liquid. 2 weeks of hot storage did them in. After HAZMAT left with the biohazard, I tried to clean, deodorize and make the fridge useable. No go. Question: how can I get rid of the smell, without buying a whole new refrigerator???

Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #2

Florida
Ewwwwwww!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTWags View Post
OK. The wife and I went out for the first time this year a few weeks ago. Great trip, nothing went wrong, wonderful time. Last friday we went out again to a new spot on our favorite lake. Pulled up, set up, opened the kitchen to start setting up, HOLY S%^&! WTF died in here?!?!?!? Back up, gag, regain composure. Look around kitchen from a distance, nothing. Open refer and just about lose breakfast all over the trailer. So I held my breath, squinted (cause I thought that might help) and opened the fridge. WOW. I've never smelled anything so foul. I've ridden a motorcycle past dead skunks on 100 degree days, and they were like smelling roses compared to this. Nothing in the fridge, so I pop open the freezer and see the offender. A bag of liquid hamburger patties. Yes, I said liquid. 2 weeks of hot storage did them in. After HAZMAT left with the biohazard, I tried to clean, deodorize and make the fridge useable. No go. Question: how can I get rid of the smell, without buying a whole new refrigerator???

A few boxes of baking soda and leave the door open. Then a bleach wash and more baking soda.
It seems as if the plastics used in gas refrigerators absorb road kill smells worse than residential refrigerators.
It'll go away but it needs ventilated and tons of baking soda.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #4

New York
I'll second the tons of baking soda. AND more baking soda. Once you do get rid of the smell, I would recommend that you always leave an open container of baking soda in the freezer and one in the frig. It will help keep odors away during use and while in transition if the frig is shut off.
NYVOLTAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #5

Oklahoma
3 boxes of baking soda so far, and always keep one in each fridge. Cleaned with bleach first thing, went and bought 2 boxes of baking soda and still couldn't go near the fridge the whole weekend.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #6

Oklahoma
I was once told by an appliance salesperson that after a refrigerator has been used or operated and then shut down it's best to leave the doors cracked. That keeps the stuffy smells out.
Mine is that way now, doors open. Helps the mice get in and out easier.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
3 boxes of baking soda so far, and always keep one in each fridge. Cleaned with bleach first thing, went and bought 2 boxes of baking soda and still couldn't go near the fridge the whole weekend.

It'll take awhile to get it ventilated. The stank has penetrated behind the plastic lining and into the refrigerator box cavity and insulation.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #8

New York
Since you have already tried cleaning with bleach and are using baking soda, here are a couple more remedies that may help:
1. Use activated charcoal in an open bowl and place in the freezer; suppose to absorb odors.
2. Place coffee grounds in a bowl and place in the freezer....

Good luck!
John

Old 06-08-2018, 12:53 AM   #9

Florida
If you wipe it down with lemon juice and then place a bowl full of lemon juice in there for about a week or so, then it will smell prettier and you will have a sweet smelling stank.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #10

Tennessee
Old 06-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #11

New Jersey
Quote:
I've had a bit of experience with removing odors especially after having had 3 dogs, two kids, and at least on two different occasions, coolers with food in a similar state to yours..
I would take some white wine vinegar and wipe the interior and racks with it.
Let is sit for an hour or so and repeat.. Leave a bowl with about 1 cup of vinegar in the refrig. overnight.

Rinse everything the following day and dust with The old standby, baking soda..

The acid will breakdown the organic proteins that cause the smell and the baking soda will absorb and neutralize any remaining vinegar and organics that create the odors..

Leave the baking soda as is until you plan to use the refrig. That should take care of your odor problem.. repeat as necessary.

Good luck.....
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:40 AM   #12
nbb

Texas
Vinegar

I suggest to wipe it down liberally with regular vinegar. We had a capacitor on a spare refrigerator/freezer in our garage go out several years ago when we were out of town for a while. When we returned it was full of rotten food. My wife thought we would have to dispose of the refrigerator. I gave it a good cleaning and a couple of good wet wipe downs with regular cider vinegar and it took care of the smell. Still using the refrigerator/freezer to this day. Keeping baking soda, coffee and/or charcoal in it when you aren't using it is a good idea as well. We always make sure to defrost and dry ours out in the travel trailer and then leave the doors propped open.
nbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Hello
Try wiping/washing it out with pure vanilla essence. It has worked for me with household refrigerators. Sounds like you may need copious amounts though!
Good luck
AETHERIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #14

Florida
vanilla, lemon, vinagar, baking soda..... gee, I'm getting hungry, I wonder what kind of leftovers are in the fridge....

How is the hazmat cleanup going GT? have you found a solution yet? Keep us posted.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #15
Jan

Michigan
I had this happen once with an egg, ewww! I tried everything, bleach, baking soda,etc. I was ready to replace the fridge but tried one last thing. I put 5 or 6 charcoal bricketes on a paper plate and closed the fridge, got back a week later and no smell! Hope it works for you!
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #16

Oklahoma
All the above is right, I once had a chest freezer under shed by garden, it was a week away go home and between house and she'd I thought ever thing in the world died. Two days before I could open it, AND what a mess, tied fourwheeler to it dragged it off and pulled it on its side, weeks still couldn't handle the smell.
It was going to salvage, a friend wanted it, And yap bleach done the trick. A mouse chew the electric cord in to. 600. Dollar lesson it's now inside
djames37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #17

Virginia
open ziplock bags full of charcoal. Grilling Charcoal is fine, no match lite charcoal. you will have to leave them in there for a while ( weeks), you can still use your freezer but eventually the smell will subside. Hope this helps.

Voltage 3895
chwdavisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #18

Oklahoma
So 3 days ago, we went with bleach and baking soda. Cleaned thoroughly and sprinkled baking soda all over. Left a box in the fridge, propped everything open and we are hoping. Vinegar is next if this doesn't work.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I will keep trying, and let you know how it goes!
Old 06-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #19

Florida
We tried both of these with limited sucess. Using coffee,not Starbucks, needs to be changed every other day. No more than one cup.
Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:33 AM   #20

Florida
Just a thought on Oxi Clean. Never tried this on our rotten chicken, at the time we were not buying it for laundry.
Try diluting in warm water,bucket,wipe down walls. Oxi will remove Odors from laundry easily. Good luck.

Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote