Seriously Considering a 2015 Aerolite 282DBHS - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2015, 05:57 AM   #1

California
Seriously Considering a 2015 Aerolite 282DBHS

Hello all, first of all I am new to this board, post #1 yea!

I am looking at a new 2015 Aerolite 282DBHS that has been sitting on a lot for a bit and the dealer is advertising a pretty good price plus I am sure I can negotiate it down even more. It is in for warranty repair right now for some issues with the lamination on the fiberglass sides. They state is is 40k MSRP and selling for 27k. So about a third off with no negotiating.

The 2015 Aerolite 282DBHS is the perfect fit on features for my family of 5 with 3 small kids. I love the storage with the triple bunks that go up out of the way. The king size bed is a very nice option that I rarely see and when the kids climb in bed with us in the morning every bit of space helps!

A few questions:
1. Why are the Dutchmen Aerolite's so hard to find on the west coast? Seems like when I do searches most of them are over a thousand miles from here or more.
2. Assuming the factory takes care of the laminate issue(s) is that a bad sign and should I keep looking? Might be good that they are getting that out of the way and not being my issue down the road.
3. I see so many different variations with the windows being border-less or not , slam-latches or standard latches, different colors, some are a tan base and others are a grey base. Even the slide out sides look different on some. So why so many variations? The one I am looking at does NOT have the 20th anniversary package but has everything else.
4. The dealer that has this one is about 3 hours from where I live so not exactly convenient. I assume I can take it to just about any dealer that sells Dutchmen or Keystones for any issues, right?

The front looks totally different on the 2015's and newer from the 2014's so obviously they did some changes, I assume mostly cosmetic.

Any advise or comments on the 2015's specifically the 282DBHS are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

dcovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #2

California
Would like to add one thing. I am reading a lot on AC ducting issues but it seems that relates to the 2014 and 2013 models. Did Dutchmen resolve this in the 2015's and higher? Something about the bathroom gets really cold and the bedroom hardly gets any air.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Ron

Louisiana
I don't know if this relates to the Aerolites but I have a 2015 Denali 289RK and when I wasn't getting air in the bedroom I started pulling vents, I found the cut outs for 2 vent in duct in the bathroom that was stopping the cold air at that point. After removing them it made a big difference in the cooling of the bedroom.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

Michigan
I would not buy a camper with delamination issues at any price. Delamination is a sign of water leaking into the camper. There could be hidden damage. Down the road you could be looking at a $5K to $10K fix. Buy new one, order it if you have to.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

Nevada
Hunter, Hit it right on the nose, I have a Truck Camper also, and I replaced one side of it because of what you stated and because I did it my self, after removing the wall, there was a lot of other things that needed replacing, yes some of the items could pass, on being replaced but don't play with any water leaks.....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

California
Great advise guys. I would "assume" that when the factory fixes the issues under warranty that they would repair any other problems associated with it. I can always ask the dealer what was fixed and what caused the issue. When I spoke to them originally the guy said that it happens on about 2% of them as it was not done just right from the factory. Obviously this might be BS.

I could even try to ask for an extended warranty/guarantee that if there are any issues with the lamination or water damage on the walls in the next 10 years that they would be responsible to fix it. That might be a stretch but if they want to sell it...