Screw length recommendations for mounting to internal trailer walls? External walls? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #1

Arizona
Screw length recommendations for mounting to internal trailer walls? External walls?

In a bizarre twist, Dutchmen provided us with a 2-piece toilet paper roll dispenser in the same bag as the owner's manual... but no screws to mount the two brackets on the wall somewhere handy to the toilet. The spring-loaded T-paper roll holder goes between them - you know what I mean.

There's nothing complex here, except that I was hoping they'd provide the screws needed to give me some idea of how long of screws to use in trailer walls (2017 Aerolite 242 in my case). Nope. I'm on my own. Plus, there are a few other hooks, gadgets and doodads which need to be mounted to the walls, and screws are the only fastening system that makes sense to me. But which screws? What is behind the veneer on these walls?

I'm guessing that either half-inch or 5/8" #8 screws will be OK, depending on how thick the mounting surface is on the whatsit to be installed. So can somebody tell me, will about 1/2 inch of screw threads into the wall suffice? Is more needed or useful? I'm picturing 1/4 inch plywood behind the veneer, and if I'm right, anything that pokes through into the hollow space in the middle is pretty much wasted, as far as extra holding strength is concerned.

And, in a related question, what is "too long" when it comes to the threaded part inside the wall? Obviously I don't want to poke out through the other side of the wall. They appear to be about 2" thick... or 1.5" thick. It's hard to tell, so I'm also hoping for any info you all have on the shortest useful length, and the maximum length one should ever use, if one is strapped for screws and needs to attach something with, say, a 3/4 or 1" screw. Would that be OK?

I have a bunch of 3/4" drywall screws which are very sharp and work great for many applications like this... if a beveled head is suitable. For pan-head phillips, I normally drill a small pilot hole, but the drywall screws are their own drill, making them super handy where applicable.

Thanks in advance!

BRawlingsAZ

Quote... "Give me ambivalence or give me something else."
BRawlingsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #2

Illinois
Almost everyone uses a stand-up type paper holder so you can move it where you want it and keep it out of the way when not using it. Under $10 and holds multiple rolls.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #3

Florida
I utilized the stand-up paper holder (which holds extra rolls). I also placed one of the removable hooks ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Command-S...&wl13=&veh=sem ) at the top to hold it steady during travel. If you ever want to attach anything to the interior walls of your RV, use a POP RIVET GUN. 1/8" holes for each. It holds better than screws.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #4

Texas
Some of us outlaw Aerolite 213RBSL-ND'ers set our toilet paper roll on the convenient countertop space that just begs for it.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Some of us outlaw Aerolite 213RBSL-ND'ers set our toilet paper roll on the convenient countertop space that just begs for it.
set paper on counter = wife bit...ches
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
You're a blessed man then, in my book.
I'd give anything to get in hot water with the missus.
She was SO MUCH fun to torment gently.

My advice, enjoy every second of it!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
10-4 on that one. I can't even order a darn LED for over the Dinette....but thats another story....

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #8

California
Unless you find a stud, you will have to use some kind of molly bolt, the walls are 1/8 think. I used mollys for ours and it is sturdy. Hold the paper and stays on the wall. I did find some neat pop toggles with screws 1/8 inch at Home Depot which would also work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pop toggles.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	4387  

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #9

Arizona
Thanks for the recommendation on the fasteners. I'd like to attach some small hoops or hooks to the outside to secure the doors open with bungee cords ("friction hinges" really? In the breezy mountain campgrounds? Oh please...), so I'm also looking for recommendations on securely and tightly fastening something to the exterior walls.

Surely others have done something like this... Any words of advice, either how to do it right or possibly what NOT to do? Thanks all...

Quote... "Give me ambivalence or give me something else."
BRawlingsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote