Roof Leak in 2012 Aerolite 195 QB - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

Michigan
Post Roof Leak in 2012 Aerolite 195 QB

Hello all,
I have searched the forums and have not seen issues with roof leaks however last year we had a leak along the front of the trailer where the front meets the roof (poor design per the repairman). We had some bowing of the interior roof in the overhead cabinet over the bed which isn't a big deal.
It had been over a year since the roof had been inspected since neither my husband or I can get on the roof to check it so that was our fault.
The roof was repaired Aug 2015.
We are taking it in for another check next week.
I was stripping the bed today doing the end of season prep and noticed water stains on the mattress under the memory foam and some bowing of the roof just on the outside of the overhead cabinet. With the hot weather this year I'm hoping its old. I can't believe I missed the mattress getting wet--duh!
Has anyone else had roof issues?

RetiredRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:09 AM   #2

Ontario
Sorry for the delayed response... I am not often on this forum. We also own the 2012 Aerolite 195QB. Last Sept (2016) I noticed the pillow on the bed was wet, noticed the water dripping through the light fixture above the bed. the ceiling panel in the cupboard above the bed and extending a few inches in front of it was soft and soggy. Long story short, we removed that panel and all the moldy insulation behind it. Fortunately the wood was still in good condition. We opted to take it to a local dealer (CanAm in London Ontario) to have it repaired at a cost of $1800. When we purchased the trailer, I noticed the roof line at the exact place you mentioned had a dip in the metal transition strip. That was where it leaked, the water was just pooling there until it found a way in. They replaced the metal strip sealed with eternabond tape and dicor lap sealant. We have had no problems this year and fortunately no mold issues. (probably because we took out all the wet and ran the air conditioner for a couple of weeks before it went in for repair. Other than that issue we love our condo on wheels.. Best upgrade we have done is change the bathroom fan for a MaxxAir with remote control. Also switched all the lighting to LED. Let me know how you have managed with your leak please and any other issues with your trailer.

Dutch Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

Michigan
Thumbs up Dutch Girl-Trailer Leak Update

Hi,

So far, so good with our roof. It makes me nervous though wondering if its going to happen again. At first we only noticed moisture in one closet by the bed then in the overhead cabinets above the bed. Since the repair I have notice some warping of the ceiling in front of those cabinets but my husband thinks I'm paranoid which I am! No mildew smell thank goodness.
We have had the trailer in last fall for a roof check and there is always something cracked or a screw hole which needs caulking. I would never buy used after I drive around and see RV's sitting for years in yards and its anyone's guess as to the damage on those.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

Michigan
You need to inspect the roof at least once a year. Inspecting and repairing the sealant on the roof is normal yearly maintenance.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

Michigan
Wink Roof Leak

We know that yearly roof maintenance is mandatory unfortunately it got away from us for a year thus the problem. Due to health issues my husband cannot get up on the roof and I'm not about to We take the trailer to a dealer every fall.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:06 AM   #6

Ontario
Yes we are checking the roof regularly now. Was an expensive oversight, but is all good now.

Dutch Girl is offline   Reply With Quote