Roof Leak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #1

Nova Scotia
Roof Leak

I've had my 242RESL for a little over a year now and never had a leaky roof problem. It's only been towed and set up for this past summer and half the summer before. No travelling other than that. I just got it home start of this week and spent the better part of a day washing and cleaning the roof with a soft carwash brush that hooks to a hose. Once done I gently crawled across the center of the roof and scrubbed the mildew from around the A/C unit, rinsed it off and put an A/C cover on it for the winter.
Everything seemed ok afterwards. Yesterday there was small puddle on the kitchen floor that you could tell had dripped in. Cleaned it up and hoped that it was only from spraying the AC unit off. Now, today after a windy/rainy day went out again to check and another big puddle on the floor again. Watched and noticed that it's coming from the light, about a foot from the A/C unit. Took the light fixture out and you can see the wire channel between the stryrofoam, it's a steady drip flowing from that channel.
Didn't notice any bad sealant or cracks on the roof.. looked brand new when I was up there.

Any advice on how to figure this out? A/C unit if a dometic,, can you just pop the ceiling cover off of it?
How long is the warranty for something like this?? I'm past my 1 year.
Can't really look at it till the morning now. Driving me crazy.

Thanks.

caper_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #2

Washington
My guess is its a leak around the air conditioner. When I had mine off this year (to re-tape the ducting) I noticed the gasket was barely making contact on one side. I purchased another gasket at Camping World and made the necessary adjustments to get a good seal. If your handy removing the A/C is pretty easy. Just remove the outside cover, about 6 screws, and remove the lag bolts holding the unit down. Where its leaking, if this is the location should be pretty obvious.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #3

Nova Scotia
Thanks sawpilot,, I'll have a look at it first nice day I get. Cover screws on the Sides? I don't remember seeing any on the top.

Sounds easy enough, never had one off before. I'm more worried about the water that's already IN MY ROOF!!.
I'm hours away from any dealer and off season up here now. Might be a problem getting a proper seal within the next month.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #4

New York
Tarp it for now until you can get to a real fix!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_6 View Post
Thanks sawpilot,, I'll have a look at it first nice day I get. Cover screws on the Sides? I don't remember seeing any on the top.

Sounds easy enough, never had one off before. I'm more worried about the water that's already IN MY ROOF!!.
I'm hours away from any dealer and off season up here now. Might be a problem getting a proper seal within the next month.
Yes, the screws are around the side where the 2 halves come together. After you remove the lag screws take your time and lift gently to work the unit lose.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #6

Nova Scotia
Is that doable by one person or should I have someone hold the inside roof unit up? Will it hit the floor?
I'm thinking I might just leave it till Monday and call my extended warranty company to see if it's covered. It does say a/c unit seals and gasket on it. I'd probably void it if I took it apart.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Is that doable by one person or should I have someone hold the inside roof unit up? Will it hit the floor?
I'm thinking I might just leave it till Monday and call my extended warranty company to see if it's covered. It does say a/c unit seals and gasket on it. I'd probably void it if I took it apart.
Doable? Yes, but if you have any doubts and have a warranty that covers it, I'd go that way. That's what it's for. Get a tarp over it to prevent more leakage and take it in when they can do it.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #8

Nova Scotia
Thanks for you help,, much appreciated.. I'll let you know what comes of it. Nearest dealer's hours away and will be busy "Winterizing" now I'm sure.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
Update
Sawpilot was right, drug it to the dealership for extended warranty and only found out that all 4 bolts were very loose. Probably never torqued. Warranty won't cover it, nor will they cover the damage if I have mood issues next year. What did I pay for???
Anyway, quick and easy fix, hopefully minimal damage, and only out a couple of hundred bucks for gas and labour.
I think when I get it home ill crank the furnace for few days and try to heat the dampness out before anything swells.
Thanks Sawpilot.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #10

Nova Scotia
LoL. "Mood damage"??
I meant MOLD damage.
Darn spell "changer".
Old 10-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #11

Washington
Glad it was that easy. If you want to see what you paid for in that extended warranty read the document very carefully and verbatim. If it does not specifically say it's covered it's not. In other words yours says the seals are covered on your a/c, but the seals are good and the unit was just loose, not covered. Consequential damage, mold issues later?, not covered because the seals were not the problem just the installation. It takes a lawyer to determine what's actually covered or not. Just another way to get money from the consumer and look like their looking out for us. BS. I think you discovered the problem pretty quickly so any lasting damage? Probably not. Glad we were able to help.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
LoL. "Mood damage"??
I meant MOLD damage.
Darn spell "changer".
I knew you meant mold, I just thought you were typing with that Cape Breton accent. Lol
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
I would run the furnace and possibly put a dehumidifier in there to really dry the air out. However if any mold has gotten it's start that isn't going to get rid of it, just slow it down a bit.

Good Luck!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #14

Nova Scotia
Adair. OUCH!! LOL

My plan exactly Wahoonc. Don't have dehumidifier but might rig up a shop vac in reverse to blow some of the warm air through a light hole to dry it up better. Chances are it's only been a week or so so should be fine.
Thanks ALL.