Radio comes on randomly - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Radio comes on randomly

Radio just comes on. I keep the volume low and on the internal speakers so I don't embarrass myself. Who should I call?????

Plapper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #2

New York
Just a thought - do you have an alarm on the radio? Don't ask me why I'm asking !!!!!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #3

Oklahoma
You nailed it. I turned the alarm off. Do I have to leave this post on to show what a dolt I am?
Plapper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #4

Oklahoma
That was close, I was gonna suggest calling the Ghost Busters.

We all do dolting things, don't sweat it.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #5

New York
That was a simple fix wasn't it!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #6

Nevada
There are no dolts here.

Actually, this is a valid question as I recall threads on rv.net discussing a certain radio brand (TouchAudio) being installed by a certain manufacturer (Dutchmen) wherein the weatherband would automatically turn on the radio when there was a weather alert. We don't get many of those out west, but I understand it was more of an issue in other parts of the USofA. Further research suggested Lippert obtained a bunch of these units and sold them to Dutchmen and possibly other manufacturers.

With our unit, the sound was too loud even at the "1" setting. We couldn't find a workaround solution, so we ended up taking this POS out and installing another brand a lot of folks consider a POS (Jensen). Unfortunately, there weren't many options for us due to unit dimensions and my limited woodworking/cabinet remodeling skills. Knock on wood, so far the Jensen is working for us (2 years) and a much better option than the one installed by Dutchmen.

Happy Trails!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

Tennessee
LOL! When I read the post, the first thing I thought of was that &%@# weather radio! Our 2013 Kodiak has the Touch Audio unit. First time it went off, speakers were on inside AND outside and it scared hell out of EVERYBODY! I am happy to report that if one spends a little time with the owner's manual in one hand and the remote in the other, it IS possible to disable (de-select?) the weather alert function. If you like a bigger challenge, try alternating between the owners manual and a rum & coke while playing with the remote!

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
LOL! When I read the post, the first thing I thought of was that &%@# weather radio! Our 2013 Kodiak has the Touch Audio unit. First time it went off, speakers were on inside AND outside and it scared hell out of EVERYBODY! I am happy to report that if one spends a little time with the owner's manual in one hand and the remote in the other, it IS possible to disable (de-select?) the weather alert function. If you like a bigger challenge, try alternating between the owners manual and a rum & coke while playing with the remote!
What, not Boubon? Tsk tsk.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 AM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
What, not Boubon? Tsk tsk.
No, my friend. Rum. Up until we sold the sailboat last month we were long-time sailors and very much in tune with the tropics (we still winter in south Florida). I notice you claim Kamloops as your homeport. I had never heard of Kamloops until day before yesterday when I started a novel, Slow Curve On The Coquihalla by R.E. Donald. Kamloops is the backdrop. Small world. Hope you're enjoying summer!

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
No, my friend. Rum. Up until we sold the sailboat last month we were long-time sailors and very much in tune with the tropics (we still winter in south Florida). I notice you claim Kamloops as your homeport. I had never heard of Kamloops until day before yesterday when I started a novel, Slow Curve On The Coquihalla by R.E. Donald. Kamloops is the backdrop. Small world. Hope you're enjoying summer!
Yes, it is a small world and summer is starting to heat up, but it's a dry heat

Had a buddy from Newfoundland, got me drunk on Screech about 40 years ago (worlds absolute worst Rum), been off of Rum ever since. Got to get down to TN to compare your Bourbon to KYs.

We started the KY Bourbon trail last fall, so many Bourbons, so little time. Found a little corn liquor too.

I'm going to have to look up Slow Curve On The Coquihala. Last thing I read a book from around home is Interred With Their Bones, the life of the train robber Billy Miner in BC.

I presume that Slow Curve has something to do with the highway I love to hate. It's the fast route to Vancouver and is absolutely the worst road I have ever driven in the winter. It's a common occurrence to have a foot or more snow over night and shut it down for a day or more.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:34 AM   #11

Illinois
weather radio keeps going off!

You nailed it, I'm so SICK of that weather radio, I have no idea how to disable - is there a special owners manual for the radio? it's killing me!! thanks - not enough Rum in the world for this thing!
richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:03 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by richv View Post
You nailed it, I'm so SICK of that weather radio, I have no idea how to disable - is there a special owners manual for the radio? it's killing me!! thanks - not enough Rum in the world for this thing!
Have you tried this or some facsimile of same?

To turn off weather alarm:
Note: Radio must be on.
  1. Press the mode button to select NOAA function.
  2. Press the alarm button on the remote to turn the alarm off.
Note: Alarm is on when the alarm icon on the LCD is displayed and off when it isn't.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #13

Michigan
I'll admit to my "Dolt". I would be listening to a radio station then all of a sudden the radio would start scanning. Took me two days to figure it out. First day I just gave up and turned the dang thing off. Second day I finally found it in the owners manual. A few weeks later, the next time out that stupid thing did it again! Back to the owner's manual. Why do I get the feeling I should bookmark that page in the owner's manual?

nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote