Purchasing 2017 282DBHS - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Idaho
Purchasing 2017 282DBHS

Hello, I'm a new member here and we are in the process of purchasing a 2017 Aerolite 282DBHS. We absolutely love the floor plan and the features of the Happy-Jack bunks in the rear. When we were looking at other Aerolites at the dealer, they didnt have a 282 on the lot, but they did have the 242 which is fairly similar. We were looking at the interior colors and really liked the Onyx and the Granite. When our salesman told us he found two at the factory that were being built and we could take one of the we were thrilled. Then he called and said that the new model is coming with an interior color called French Roast. None of the brochures nor the website shows anything called French Roast as an option. I'm just curious, has anyone here heard of this interior color in the 2017 models? I found this color in an earlier 2013 and it is a horrible tan color. Now thinking of pulling my order until something else comes up.

jelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #2

Washington
Awesome, welcome to the forum and that is one bad unit, I'm picking mines up Wednesday that the wife and I are excited to get, this will be our first. Don't forget to take some pics when you get it.

Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

Idaho
Big1, thanks for the welcome. We really like the layout of this trailer, especially the adjustable bunks in the rear. As soon as we find out about the interior color option, we will make a final decision. If we like it, it will be here around the 15th of Sept. If we dont like the French Roast color option, we may have to wait a little longer or do something different. What color did you get in yours?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott View Post
Big1, thanks for the welcome. We really like the layout of this trailer, especially the adjustable bunks in the rear. As soon as we find out about the interior color option, we will make a final decision. If we like it, it will be here around the 15th of Sept. If we dont like the French Roast color option, we may have to wait a little longer or do something different. What color did you get in yours?
I wouldn't worry about colors, if the floor plan works for you. You can do things to add colors that you like, buying the wrong floorpan and your going to kick yourself in the backside.

There isn't a camper built that has a color scheme we like, but new duvet cover and some toss cushions, a few wall hangings/pictures, makes it your own.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #5

Idaho
Good point Jim! To me it wasnt that big of a deal overall; however, we didnt mind the original colors that were shown and could make them work. The problem with this color for my wife is that it is almost a dried mustard yellow/tan, almost retro. My hope is that the fact that it was a 2013 color and not from the 2017 brochure has me thinking it wont be the same.
As for the floorplan, its definitely what we are looking for. Now to just sell the Toy Hauler we currently have and we'll be even better.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #6

Arizona
We have a 2016 282DBHS and absolutely love it. The bunks are great for our kids and that dog door in the back is the most beneficial part of the entire trailer. I don't know what color we got and frankly we don't care. Like Jim stated, you can make it your own with just a few changes. Good luck.

2016 Dutchmen Aerolite 282DBHS
2015 Ford F250 Diesel SRW
jcs1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:05 PM   #7

Idaho
Thanks for the input jcs1377. The bunks in the rear with the dog/storage door access and them being adjustable were a couple of the main selling points. We wanted to have the bunks for sure and them being adjustable like we have in our toy hauler was awesome. Plus it give us a spot for our 4-legged family members who often go camping with us.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

Texas
Wish you could trust that "French Roast" is the color of French Roast!

I'm a coffee junky (espresso, actually) and the accurate term of French Roast is a dark roast. Almost burnt coffee beans. The oil is even escaping and the bean will be shiny and very dark brown. (Over roasted, in my opinion. But we yankees seem to like it)

However, I DON'T think we can trust the accuracy of color naming. Martha Stewart is who I blame.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #9

Idaho
I have to agree with you on that one Snakebitten. I would hope, that if they call it French Roast that its dark and bold, just like I like my coffee.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #10

Idaho
We finally took delivery of our new 282 this past Friday. So far we absolutely love it. It meets and exceeds our expectations. Hopefully we'll be able to take it out once before Winter arrives. I did get one unexpected addition to the trailer that even surprised the dealer. Instead of the normal stabilizer jacks, the new trailer has a self-leveling system. I'd seen these on the larger 5W's and motor coaches, but hadn't seen one on a TT. As with anything you buy these days, there are so many electronics. To be honest, some of this is not comforting, just one more thing to potentially develop a problem. But, it seems that you cant get around that anymore.
As for the color concerns I'd mentioned awhile ago, those are resolved and the color is fantastic, it is a dark chocolate brown color, as we had hoped.
Can't wait to get on the road!!!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #11

Illinois
You know the rules. Photos! Congratulations by the way.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
What's "winter"?

It has FINALLY cooled down to where camping is fun again. We will camp pretty much all year round here in the Carolinas. Might have to head a bit south every now and again, but a camping we will go!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #13

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
What's "winter"?

It has FINALLY cooled down to where camping is fun again. We will camp pretty much all year round here in the Carolinas. Might have to head a bit south every now and again, but a camping we will go!

Aaron
I'd love it if I could camp all year long - I'd have to head South for that, unfortunately, I still have this thing call work that I have to do for at least the next 7 years!! We got snow here in Idaho today in some of the mountain areas. Anything above 5,000 feet and your likely to freeze overnight this time of year!
Old 10-03-2016, 11:19 PM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott View Post
I'd love it if I could camp all year long - I'd have to head South for that, unfortunately, I still have this thing call work that I have to do for at least the next 7 years!! We got snow here in Idaho today in some of the mountain areas. Anything above 5,000 feet and your likely to freeze overnight this time of year!
Dang! and here I was thinking about moving to Montana!

I have another 6 years or so to retirement. I guess I lucked up and landed in the Carolinas as a place to live.

Of course my company sends me to NY in February for work. Couple of years ago I had a bottle scotch in my car trunk freeze.

Aaron
Old 10-04-2016, 06:11 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
What's "winter"?

Aaron
Yes Aaron,

Winter arrives day after tomorrow, it's finally shirt sleeve weather and I might have to change to my winter shorts.

This is the best part of the year, I get to hibernate in my nice warm den, throw a stick on the fire and watch the idiots play bumpers cars.

Snow and winter don't get in the way of us camping, we got to do it if we want to go south. But our parks become a whole new experience in the winter, like the 400' ice colums at some of our more spectacular waterfalls.

ATVing takes you on a totally different ride, but my favotire is riding the sidehack in the snow.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
I am not into hibernation... Don't do cold either, BTW cold is anything below 40°F (4°C)...

I have lived in South Dakota, Wisconsin and a few other god forsaken places where their idea of fun is driving vehicles on frozen lakes with spiked tires. I will take my heat and humidity of the Southeast. I wouldn't mind a move a few hours NW to the Virginia mountains where they get four decent seasons, and none are extreme. We have an office in Wytheville, VA and it is pretty nice up there.

Aaron
Old 10-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #17

Illinois
Dang! Leave Tuesday for West Palm Beach for the winter. Now worried my campground is going to blow away!
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #18

Ohio
We have the 2016 242bhs and absolutely love it.. The happy jack bunks are great, but the storage in that area is even a better advantage. FYI, you can pin the upper bunk against the top stops if you want to just use the bottom bunk (more headroom). We have the onyx pattern and like the more contemporary look. Please post a picture of your new trailer with the French Roast. Enjoy
mastwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #19

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastwh View Post
We have the 2016 242bhs and absolutely love it.. The happy jack bunks are great, but the storage in that area is even a better advantage. FYI, you can pin the upper bunk against the top stops if you want to just use the bottom bunk (more headroom). We have the onyx pattern and like the more contemporary look. Please post a picture of your new trailer with the French Roast. Enjoy
I'll have to get some pictures posted of it. So far we are loving it, taking it out this weekend for the maiden voyage. We'll see how well it does in cold weather, supposed to have snow this weekend here in Idaho where we are heading.
The happy jack bunks are the main reason we went with this model. We had happy jack bunks in our old toy hauler and the ability to pin the bed to the top and the extra storage space is wonderful.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:37 PM   #20

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastwh View Post
So the outing this past weekend, overall, wasn't too bad. This was our first time out with the new trailer and were excited to see how it performed. We only found a couple of issues that we will take back to the dealer to fix. One, the slide is rubbing against the cabinets for the TV in the front portion; so much so, that we had to take the handles off the upper cabinets to keep it from binding up. It also catches the decorative corner piece on the slide. Hopefully they can get it figured out. Secondly, the water heater quit working on us. I started it so I could do some dishes and my son could take a shower. Shortly after he started, he came out and said there was no hot water. I had enough hot water to put about 2" in the sink to wash and rinse. We were unable to get the water heater to work again. I checked the thermal-link on the access panel on the outside of the unit and it appears fine. It will not work at all, no electric, no gas, no dual. Only got about 30 minutes of use out of it.
So all in all, besides a couple of the minor issues, it was pretty successful. Nights got down to freezing and day temps were in the high 40's low 50's. This will also be the last trip for the season for us, too many other commitments going on the rest of the year.
Here are a couple of pics of the interior of the 282 with the new French Roast color.[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]