Problems with new Kodiak Auto-Levelers - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #21
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
I tend to concur. LCI's been around long enough to know better.
LCI has been around long enough that they have started cutting corners in the name of profits. I have a sneaking suspicison what happens is that LCI sees a new product on the market from a small manufacturer, they either buy the rights to the product or or reverse engineer it. Lippert is another one that pretty much does the same thing.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #22

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
LCI has been around long enough that they have started cutting corners in the name of profits. I have a sneaking suspicison what happens is that LCI sees a new product on the market from a small manufacturer, they either buy the rights to the product or or reverse engineer it. Lippert is another one that pretty much does the same thing.

Aaron
Isn't LCI (Lippert Components Industry), the same as Lippert?

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #23
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Isn't LCI (Lippert Components Industry), the same as Lippert?
They used to have separate divisions, but I suspect they are all the same now.

Aaron[emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #24

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
They used to have separate divisions, but I suspect they are all the same now.

Aaron[emoji41]

Can't tell the players without a program. Who knows who owns what these days.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #25
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Can't tell the players without a program. Who knows who owns what these days.
The whole RV industry is pretty incestuous...

Aaron😎

Old 05-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #26

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindsurge View Post
I've been thinking about that myself, but I think the optimum solution would be for Lippert to place the motors on the inside of the assembly rather than on the outside. I suppose you could turn the assembly in its current configuration around, but it would have to be done at the factory since the six-bolt attachment configuration on the frame would have to be reversed and the electrical connections to the motor would have to be rerouted. It would also likely shift the weight to more of the center of the trailer rather than to the outside corners, which could be a concern for stabilization; I don't know.
We have a two month old Kodiak Ultimate 230rbsl with the same system. I too was initially concerned about the placement of the levelers, not so much the front ones, but the rear ones. However, after much research i have concluded that the levelers were indeed installed properly according to the Lippert installation manual, as far as location is concerned. The only difference i see is they varied slightly from Lipperts' direction to install the front arms in-line with the i-beam frame, and instead installed perpendicular so as to make them not only levelers, but also more efficient as stabilizers, more in tune with normal crank-down type stabilizers. They are stronger than the front tongue jack on any trailer, and the rear ones are actually the same ones used on large fivers. They will each lift thousands of pounds individually and more than necessary collectively for any application. I did notice on our first trip that the roadside tires were actually lifted completely off the ground, so since i knew that wasn't desirable under any standards, i just lowered back down and place a couple jack pads under the roadside front and rear levelers...leveled again, and problem solved.

They actually work as well as levelers on our motorhomes we owned. This trailer doesn't rock, like others we have had with crank-down stabilizers.

Just need to make sure we are careful when turning and don't take trailer into a 1000 Trails campground ! Sorry...

The thing that really scares me is the Jensen In-Command control center !
gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #27

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotohatteras View Post
We have a two month old Kodiak Ultimate 230rbsl with the same system. I too was initially concerned about the placement of the levelers, not so much the front ones, but the rear ones. However, after much research i have concluded that the levelers were indeed installed properly according to the Lippert installation manual, as far as location is concerned. The only difference i see is they varied slightly from Lipperts' direction to install the front arms in-line with the i-beam frame, and instead installed perpendicular so as to make them not only levelers, but also more efficient as stabilizers, more in tune with normal crank-down type stabilizers. They are stronger than the front tongue jack on any trailer, and the rear ones are actually the same ones used on large fivers. They will each lift thousands of pounds individually and more than necessary collectively for any application. I did notice on our first trip that the roadside tires were actually lifted completely off the ground, so since i knew that wasn't desirable under any standards, i just lowered back down and place a couple jack pads under the roadside front and rear levelers...leveled again, and problem solved.

They actually work as well as levelers on our motorhomes we owned. This trailer doesn't rock, like others we have had with crank-down stabilizers.

Just need to make sure we are careful when turning and don't take trailer into a 1000 Trails campground ! Sorry...

The thing that really scares me is the Jensen In-Command control center !
Yes...DEFINITELY be careful when turning, especially when pulling out of camping spots or gas pump stations; that's how I broke my front ones.
mindsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #28

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindsurge View Post
Nope. Didn't buy it sight unseen. Didn't assume the levelers would be as fragile as they are either. As mentioned in another response, the levelers actually work great; it's just the design with the vulnerable motor placement.

Glad it only takes you 5 minutes; you must be a pro. But, but being handicapped and as I grow older, I don't much like even five minutes leveling when it's cold, raining or both, especially in some campsites that are muddy and difficult to use levelers under the wheels. But, thanks for your input.

Those are the exact reasons I went with the leveling system. Paid off last week when I parked in a NC downpour. I backed in, in hooked, hit the button and got back in my warm dry truck and watched the other campers play with their blocks.

TH4

thehoffmans4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kodiak, leveler, lippert, poor, quality