New to TT....mistake on choice in Tow vehicle?? - Page 4 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #61

Tennessee
Thanks Rusty!

That is the conclusion reached today. No use beating ourselves up over it and may as well start planning to enjoy! I feel better after hearing back from one of my best buddies in New Mexico who just got a Lance that has a dry weight of 3500 and their Tacoma is a 1998 with probably 125,000 miles on it. Their weight capacity is listed as 5000 pounds. And he has used the heck out of that Tacoma as a snow plow and travel camper since purchasing. They just needed more room so changed living quarters but still using that work horse Tacoma . They made it up their switchbacks to 9,000 feet without any problems towing the new Lance!! I'm going to visit my sister next week and she has lots of experience with towing so will get her to give me some towing lessons (in her rig of course lol). Our other vehicle is a Subaru Outback or a '75 Corvette so we are small vehicle folks. No towing capacity there!!! But 33 miles to the gallon on that Outback so it will be an adjustment on the fuel scene. Thanks for the support!!

Hikergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #62

Tennessee
Don't forget to level that new camper side to side and front to back before you put the slide out. I keep a cheap 2 ft. level in the front pass through. They don't like being used when out of level. Also, a cordless drill works well for putting the scissor jacks up and down, saves a lot of time. Have fun!!

Old 09-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #63

Tennessee
Ohh good point!

We have a level but I admit I have had the slide out out showing it off without being assured it is level. Will have to check because there is no guarantee that our drive is level. This particular model has electric jacks so we don't have to use the drill. A delight for Chuck and me both when shown that feature. Not lazy but both have back problems and not getting any younger!!
Thanks,
Jan
Old 09-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #64

British Columbia
Jan,

Just wondering if you got the answer, you needed for your original concern, of the truck.

My 2 biggest concerns when towing with a smaller truck are,

1-stopping power, electric drum trailer brakes are notoriously bad at becoming out of adjustment and I'm not the kind of guy that likes to rely on adjusting the brake controller, to compensate. We have a totally different camping style, long miles, lots of boondocking and adjusting the brakes between 3-5K miles. I resolved the problem by converting the trailer to hydraulic disk brakes. One trip through Chicago, on a Friday afternoon, last preseason Bears game and first something game for the Hawks. That convienced me that I wanted and needed disk brakes.

2-transmission heat. I think I gave you most everything that I have in the three remaing brain cells and everything I have accumulated or fifty plus years of servicing and maintaining my own automatic transmissions.

Couple of other options that are reasonabily priced and DIY doable. They both include adding aluminum into the fluid supply, to act as a heat sink to pull some of that excess heat out of the fluid and increase fluid capacity. Either works well alone, in combination or add a fan.

First one is an aluminum transmission pan, provides additional fluid capacity and gets the pan down into the air flow a little more. This would be the most expensive, of the two. On the plus side is the ability to drain the fluid into a container. I do the majority of my servicing, even on the road. I can do a fluid change while on the road, this can bridge the need for an immeadiate service, to the end of a trip when I can do a complete servicing.

The second one is a finned aluminum oil tank, these add capacity, they mount along the frame rail and are a simple two hose hookup. Extra capacity, and the ability to do a better fluid exchange than the pan.

Have you had your first service where Toyota will reprogram the EMC, based on your personal preferences yet? I don't know if they can do it with a gas engine and if you have the Modified Atkinson Cycle engine, is a totally different animal. My tuner allows me to set the limits on the temperature of the transmission, coolant, turbo boost. When my truck exceeds any of those thresholds, the ECM will go into defueling mode, in other words the ECM takes fuel out of the combustion stroke and power, this allows the truck to recover and shed heat. Once it's back under the threshold the ECM returns to full fueling. It's worth asking the question.

I have a different take on the numbers game than the, RV and Auto manufacturers play. My truck, could without the aid of a WDH, tow the camper with the full weight of the hitch on the draw bar. My tires on the camper will support the total weight of the camper by themselves and still have another 1000# in reserve.

I firmly believe in "go bigger, or go home" when it comes to upgrades and repairs. The only time I will use OEM or jobber parts, is when there is no alternative, which is rare. In fifty years of hot rodding, surviving street racing, (we had an informal deal with our city police force, we keep or activities to the designated, don't care if you kill yourselves but harm no others. diferent time different place.), offroading and motorcycle riding. I have never had a failure due to parts failure when I use the overbuilt parts.

Couple of boondocking things. Full fresh tank Yes. Spread your grey water between the two sewage tanks. Our dishes get washed in a plastic dishpan, that water goes into a five gallon bucket that rides in the shower and is moved to the toilet when we stop. We flush with the grey water, and scrub the bowl with a toilet brush, rinse the bowl with the added sprayer if required. We start with 60 gallons of fresh and spread in out, we can routinely get a full week of boondocking and the best we have done is nine days, but that included using showers at public facilities.

I'm sure being as your an avid hiker and enjoy the outdoors, but if you would like some of the boondocking checklists, just PM me.

Anybody else wants them same deal PM me. I won't post them because I got them from another user forum. I feel it would be wrong for me to post them here and I would hope anyone that wants them would at least pay a visit the the site that owns them.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:52 PM   #65

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikergal View Post
We have a level but I admit I have had the slide out out showing it off without being assured it is level. Will have to check because there is no guarantee that our drive is level. This particular model has electric jacks so we don't have to use the drill. A delight for Chuck and me both when shown that feature. Not lazy but both have back problems and not getting any younger!!
Thanks,
Jan
The slides are more finicky when the trailer has a twist to the frame. As long as there is no twist to the superstructure.

Electric jackes.

The Voltage guys have talked me into adding an hydraulics system. I know that back probelm intimately, degenerative disk disease and ostero and psoricatic arthitis have taken away much of my strenght and endurance.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:48 AM   #66

Tennessee
Thanks Jim

Thank you so much for all that info on the transmission and braking system. I read all that info to Chuck who understood what you were talking about. I personally understood the dishwashing and toilet cleaning portion, sad to say. I was a nurse and could work on body parts but auto mechanics is beyond the scope of my knowledge base. Both my brother and nephew are mechanics and were avid drag racers (both street and track) for years. They will appreciate your info too. We will eventually do the boondocking but must get comfortable with the TT style. Me, I'm a Big Agnus tent person convert 😂. Take care of your back!!
Thanks again!
Jan
Old 09-26-2016, 04:14 AM   #67

British Columbia
Quote:
Thank you so much for all that info on the transmission and braking system. I read all that info to Chuck who understood what you were talking about. I personally understood the dishwashing and toilet cleaning portion, sad to say. I was a nurse and could work on body parts but auto mechanics is beyond the scope of my knowledge base. Both my brother and nephew are mechanics and were avid drag racers (both street and track) for years. They will appreciate your info too. We will eventually do the boondocking but must get comfortable with the TT style. Me, I'm a Big Agnus tent person convert 😂. Take care of your back!!
Thanks again!
Jan
Jan,

Your very welcome. I'm just happy that my long term memory still serves me well and all that stuff that is rattling around in my head helps to keep my mind young. Feels good to pass some of this stuff along to others that may benfit and continue to pay it forward.

Your brother and nephew probably have more upto date info on the modern drag scene than I do. I lost interest in drag racing, when bracket racing was introduced. I'm from the days of put your money and your pink slip where your mouth is. You run what you brung and there was non of this Pinks negotiating stuff. You get a challenge, you either accepted it or not.

"could work on body parts" I was in emergency many years ago, the Dr that attended me was an intern, I said to him, "I see your an apprentice bodyman too." I was second year and he was fourth.

We're tent refugees too, started with 2 adults and 2 kids in a two person pup-tent last was a "Family" sized canvass job, it took two good men and a boy to get it out the truck. I was a bear, all I could cobble together was one good (wo)men a boy and me.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:47 AM   #68

British Columbia
Snake,

Your on, the river ain't rised and god appears willing. This little set back has put this years plans on hold.

By the time I get most of the gezzer renos done next year and absolutely my last major upgrades to the camper will be completed. About January of 2018 I hope to by in Carlsbad NM watching the bats fly again.

But I am required by law to inform you that I spent a few less than many hours on the Liars Bench in front of a roadhouse on US 212 that cuts over from Little Big Horn in MT to Belle Fourche SD.

You sir are a much stronger man than I am. I know for a fact that I will not survive more than a year, should my soul mate pass before me.

This is the woman that I have know for over fifty years and I knew I had to marry from the first day I laid eyes on her. I was nineteen and she was barely legal. I kept pestering her until she finally relented. I asked her daddy for his blessing, he said I had to arm wrestle and beat him. Well it was 2-0 for him, he finally took pity one me and let me win.

We looked at the calender to set a date, it could be anyday after December 24, because I wouldn't need momma"s signature on the marrige license.

I guess that sort of falls back to the way I tried to live my life. Everyone has seen the signs in the china stores, "You broke it, you bought.". Well I've always tried to live with a different take on those signs, "I bought it, I own it, I broke it, it's up to me to fix it." I would never point the finger at someone to deflect blame, but I certainly wasn't shy about pointing out someone elses part in a negative outcome. That attitude got me a lot of smiley faces on my annual perfomance review and respect from all of the union officials I dealt with on a routine basis.

I could understand my kids thinking "dad dosen't care" when they were younger. I was too busy chasing that golden ring and missed many of the wonderous moments that fathers are supposed to share with with their kids. Last weekend gave me a good swift kick in the behind and told me, I have a chance to make some for of it. You know It's probably getting close to 25 years since I been camping with my kids. Sounds like a great way to kick of '07.

I think the most important thing to take away and pass down to my kids, is don't follow in the old mans foot steps too long or you'll miss life. I may even have enough time left to become a good grandpa.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #69

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
1-stopping power, electric drum trailer brakes are notoriously bad at becoming out of adjustment and I'm not the kind of guy that likes to rely on adjusting the brake controller,
Not sure I get this one, all campers have electric brakes. If it comes down to a truck braking contest, I win every time over a full size 1/2 ton. Same sized rotors, 4 wheel discs and I weigh almost a 1000lbs less.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #70

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Not sure I get this one, all campers have electric brakes. If it comes down to a truck braking contest, I win every time over a full size 1/2 ton. Same sized rotors, 4 wheel discs and I weigh almost a 1000lbs less.
Dawnie,

Yes, I still had electrice brakes on the camper, but mine are electric over hydralic disk brakes on the camper now. What I personally believe should be required by law on anything being towed by a passenger class tow vehicle. That includes everything from a Smart car all the way to 350/3500 TVs.

The proof really is in the first time some moron decides to chop three lanes on the Interstate and cuts you off just to make the exit he could have just as easily merged over for a couple of cars back and still been about were he was when he Chopped my lane.

I've got an 8% grade about 10 miles from home, I don't understand why, but it's like a magnet for single and multi-vehicle rollovers. I could start at the top get up to 65MPH and bring the whole rig to a stop in about the same distance.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #71

Tennessee
Tacoma and 213rbsl

Well, we did it! First time out and we survived although I have very little need for a manicure after the nail biting ride to Grayson Highlands. Man, kind of like the Dragon in Blount County for any locals on here!! Twenty eight miles of curving incline. The Tacoma did fine although the gas mileage was a shock after driving my Subaru Outback with 33 miles on the highway. But it's not like we will be towing daily. We loaded light as we were only going for three nights. Chuck was disappointed and I learned a valuable lesson......never forget the cold brew when packing for your driver!!! I did share my choice of beverage though so all was good and the fall colors were beautiful. Just thought I would let all you "go big or go home" guys know that Toyota Tacomas have always served me well with this my third one. Just hope it keeps on keeping on!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1527.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	3695  
Old 10-22-2016, 11:24 PM   #72

Texas
That's good news.

Ok, enough about the amazing Tacoma.

How about some feedback on that fancy new 213?
Comfy? Everything function as expected?
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:41 AM   #73

Tennessee
Great 213!!

Hey Snakebitten,
Sorry, I was so worried over the towing capability!! I was already sold on the 213 and would trade towing vehicles before giving that comfy cabin up! All worked well and we got lots of compliments on our choice. Even had a neighbor try to buy her from us when we returned and they took a tour. It is a perfect size for us and next time we are taking the dogs so will see how that plays out. We left them with a friend for the first venture and I felt bad as everyone had their canine companions along. So far we have found no complaints although the television was not on during the trip as I have adverse reactions to political discourse these days so that was off until Chuck could remember the headphones 😉. Plenty of time to check that out after November 8th and the subsequent coverage!!
Hope all is well with you!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:29 AM   #74

Texas
Yep, yaw sound like you've been bit by the 213 charm.
Isn't it awesome?
I predict many great adventures in your future. And by all means, bring the 4-legged kids next time.

No apologies needed for leaving the tv off. (For lots of reasons, including the one you chose)

Cheers
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #75

Georgia
Quote:
Well, we did it! First time out and we survived although I have very little need for a manicure after the nail biting ride to Grayson Highlands. Man, kind of like the Dragon in Blount County for any locals on here!! Twenty eight miles of curving incline. The Tacoma did fine although the gas mileage was a shock after driving my Subaru Outback with 33 miles on the highway. But it's not like we will be towing daily. We loaded light as we were only going for three nights. Chuck was disappointed and I learned a valuable lesson......never forget the cold brew when packing for your driver!!! I did share my choice of beverage though so all was good and the fall colors were beautiful. Just thought I would let all you "go big or go home" guys know that Toyota Tacomas have always served me well with this my third one. Just hope it keeps on keeping on!!!
Glad you all had a successful trip! That lil ole 213 is one heck of camper! Keep on Campin'!

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote