New owner 2015 242BHS Aerolite - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

North Carolina
New owner 2015 242BHS Aerolite

Over all, I like it a lot...

Some initial gripes...

- The gelcoat/paint on front has a lot of blemishes... Might have come from dealer lot or factory... not sure.
- One of the front LED strips started peeling off from the top end. They us run of the mill LED strips whose included tape isn't meant for exterior or UV exposure. Easy fix with some 3M automotive tape.
- What is with all the keys? Really? Separate keys for each exterior entry door. Separate keys for the rear bike door... Separate keys for the front passthrough storage... What were they thinking?

WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
What were they thinking?

LOL - Dutchmen workers don't think! But that is an easy fix - go to a locksmith and have him re-key the doors and then buy new compartment locks.....or

I was fortunate to have "defective" locks and the manufacturer replaced all 6 (we have a toy hauler) to the same key#! Try buying all the locks keyed from the manufacturer.....

Changing them was a 5 minute job per lock!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #3

Florida
Negotiating a deal on a 242BHSL 2015 Aerolite

In the middle of negotiating to purchase a 242BHSL Aerolite. Anything we should watch out for ? This is my first RV purchase. How are you liking the 242BHS? How can I expect this model to perform? Any known problems?

I'm also concerned about the tow capacity. I have v8 4.7L Toyota Tundra. The dry weight of the trailer is around 5400 pounds. Tow capacity is 6700 pounds on the Tundra. You see any problems there with towing?
Dreaming242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #4

North Carolina
Dry weight is 5460 from the factory. By time you factor in weight of battery, two 30 pound tanks, weight of any fresh water you bring and your gear you'll be pushing the limits or beyond of that 4.7 Tundra.

Had our first weekend out with it this past weekend and mostly went well. I think we have a problem with the AC unit cycling, but it just might be my misconception on it's operation. Otherwise all other systems work fine.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming242 View Post
...I'm also concerned about the tow capacity. I have v8 4.7L Toyota Tundra. The dry weight of the trailer is around 5400 pounds. Tow capacity is 6700 pounds on the Tundra. You see any problems there with towing?
It's a legit concern. We have an '04 Tundra quad cab limited with the 4.7L V8. Our Aspen Trail 2710BH had a 4624 lb yellow sticker dry weight and my estimate when fully stocked and ready to camp is 6000 lbs. With the WDH the truck sits level, but you can tell that the truck is operating at it's max capacity. It travels at 60 mph on the flat road no problem, but it is slow up mountain passes. I'm always day dreaming about getting more truck.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #6

Florida
Thanks for the info and I am concerned about the weight although most
people I talk to say I will be ok on the weight. My tow capacity is 6700
and the dry weight of trailer is 5460 so that gives me close to 1200 pounds
cargo to be at my tow capacity. Supposedly people tell me that will be
hard to get to including extra gear in the trailer etc...

Glad to hear you had a good outing with yours. We will be taking ours out
for the first time weekend after next. I will let you know how we do and I
will take note of the air conditioner cycling and let you know what ours
does.

Thanks for the information!! All the Best!!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #7

Florida
Thank you for the information. Big help. It looks like I will be ok with the weight although its pretty close. I pick up the trailer in two weeks and I'll have to let you know how it goes. Can't wait!! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #8

Montana
The first truck rating you'll bump up against is payload, usually well before you approach max tow rating. That's the weakest link in light duty trucks used for towing campers. While I'm estimating that I'm under my max tow rating by 700 lbs, I'm over my payload rating by a few hundred pounds when fully loaded.

If your dry weight is 5460 lbs, add 1000 lbs to estimate water and camp gear and assume your camper is 6500 lbs ready to camp. Estimate the tongue weight is 15% of that, so 975 lbs. That weight is supported by the truck. Usually a light duty truck has a payload capacity around 1400 lbs or less, so subtract 975 from 1400 and you've only got 425 lbs left for you, passengers, and cargo in the truck.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:13 AM   #9

Florida
Thanks for the info on calculating payload. I'll have to check my payload rating. That really doesn't leave much for truck cargo. Appreciate the info!!!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #10

Tennessee
Towing capacity also has a lot to do with vehicle control and stopping ability, not just how much weight you can yank around. When it's fully loaded see how comfortable you would be making panic stops and swerving to avoid teenagers texting and driving.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming242 View Post
Thank you for the information. Big help. It looks like I will be ok with the weight although its pretty close. I pick up the trailer in two weeks and I'll have to let you know how it goes. Can't wait!! Thanks for the feedback.
Well... Think about this. If you travel with the 52 gallon fresh water tank full (if you dry camping) that is 431 pounds of water.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

North Carolina
Turns out no issues with the AC unit... It was a thermostat setting. Have to make sure the fan mose is set to AU for automatic and not lo or hi for the AC to turn off once it reaches the desired temperature.