Missing Gray Tank? Aerolite 213RBSL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

North Carolina
Exclamation Missing Gray Tank? Aerolite 213RBSL

Hi All, my husband and I purchased a new 2018 Aerolite a Luxury 213RBSL in May 2018. Due to several family emergencies over the last year, we were unable to use the unit until last week. We found a few minor issues that my husband can repair, but one major that we are baffled by. When looking at the systems monitor panel, it shows Gray Tank 1 and Gray Tank 2. It appears the shower and bathroom sink feed into Gray Tank 1. We thought kitchen sink may be Gray Tank 2. We could not locate a drain handle for another tank. However, that tank level never moved. We then noticed that whenever I washed dishes in the kitchen sink, the soapy water poured out of a black hose underneath the trailer. This is located right near the handle for draining Gray Tank 1. There is a sealed underbelly on this unit, so we can visualize the tank (s). It is outside of the one year warranty, and we are not sure what was done incorrectly. Is there a second Gray Water Tank on this unit that this hose was not connected to? Is this hose suppose to drain into Gray Water Tank 1? We just know it shouldn’t be dumping out of a hose under the trailer. I guess we should be happy it’s the kitchen sink and not the Black Water Tank Trying to figure out how it is supposed to be set up correctly from factory so we can fix this major oversight. Thanks for any information you could provide.

my3kidz60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:06 AM   #2

Wisconsin
My Dutchman Kodiak Cub has two gray tank level indicator buttons. I know the Cub has only one gray tank. I put a piece of black electrical tape over the unused button. Same with the black tank.

On the other hand, sink water should be going into a waste tank, not under the TT. Dumping on the ground is forbiden in most campgrounds.

You can try to make a claim, but don't hold your breath. Mfg support desk personnel are train to deflect all claims regardless if the unit is in, or out of warranty.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

Florida
They use the same control panel for just about all of the units (aside from the 5th wheels). I have a second Gray tank and Black tank indicator on my Denali. That being said, can you send a picture of the issue? Sounds like your kitchen sink is disconnected from the gray tank.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #4

North Carolina
Photos of open pipe 2018 Aerolite 213RBSL

Here are three photos of the issue. The first is entire septic area, with gray and black water pulls. The second is a closeup of the black pvc pipe the kitchen sink water pours out of. The third is labeling on trailer above the septic area. It looks as if the assembler thought there were two gray tanks. I’ve found specs on line that indicate this unit is built with one 39 gallon gray water and one 28 gallon black water tank. I know since it is out of warranty as of May 15th this year, asking manufacturer to repair is an effort In futility. We just need to know if this is a simple fix that my husband can tackle. Again, he is very good with house plumbing installation and repairs. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	808259AB-D5DD-4725-B147-E4A2B1FFDE2F.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	5723   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C558E98-EB8C-48BB-B304-B09AE285434B.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	5724   Click image for larger version

Name:	83B65E4B-5B7F-4699-A924-5C78153AFE82.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	5725  
Old 08-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #5

South Carolina
I am astounded at the lack of quality control! Sorry for your issues.

As mentioned above the control panel is generic. We have the 2018 243 BHSL which is very similar. One gray and one black tank. But the panel shows two. Obviously wrong.

Its incredible just a cursory look by anyone at the factory should have put your trailer in the NEEDS MORE WORK line ughh. Probably easier to just ship it to the dealer. UGHHH

You can obviously repair it yourself. I had to work on my gray water pull valve. The big problem is removing the undercover. I only removed the back third where the tanks are. In some places they used self tapping screws and washers and in some places rivets. When I covered it back up I used self tapping screws all around.

Good luck!

Holding Tanks
Number Of Fresh Water Holding Tanks

Total Fresh Water Tank Capacity
52.0 gal.

Number Of Gray Water Holding Tanks

Total Gray Water Tank Capacity
39.0 gal.

Number Of Black Water Holding Tanks

Total Black Water Tank Capacity
28.0 gal.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #6

Georgia
I have the 2017 213RBSL and it does have only 1 Grey/1 Black tank and our Panel also shows 2 Grey tanks. I would still call the dealer and/or Dutchmen and raise some heck with them. Maybe even visit the dealer to let them see how silly this is. That is an obvious manufacturing defect and they should pay for and fix, at least I would if it came to my company. But I am in the material handling business.... not the RV business so maybe they will, maybe they won't. If it is easy to fix for your husband, I would go ahead and do so after getting my pound of flesh. Anyway the 213RBSL is a great trailer, we love ours. There are quite a few that have them on this board. Best of luck with the issue!

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

Florida
I know it's not supposed to be funny but this clearly is a screw up from the factory! maybe something fell off or something from previous trips but it's very clear that there is supposed to be something there ...
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #8

North Carolina
It’s definitely a factory screwup. This pipe should be attached on top of underbelly to the gray tank in some manor. I took the advice above (thank you) and emailed our dealer even though it’s out of warranty. We didn’t have the opportunity to use it from pickup in May 2018 to July 27th when we left on our first trip.

Hopefully this small Aerolite dealer can act on our behalf with Dutchmen. I’ll let you know. Otherwise, hubby will be taking apart the back 1/3 of underbelly to access the piping in an effort to connect the kitchen sink to the tank.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #9

South Carolina
I think once Dutchman realizes the error ( very big shtupid error) you will probably get a Warranty fix. I can not imagine otherwise.

The only other issue is getting the work done. Summer time the dealers are very busy! Last year we were quoted 3 months just to get an appointment for AC work. Our selling dealer was just too far away. And we discovered "if you did not buy it here, you are at the end of the list".

We actually found a dealer (in the boondocks) that took us in and fixed it in one day! But there were other issues with the dealer. Ughhh

One recommendation is find a repair shop that does not sell RVs. Does only repair work. At least you are on a equal basis. We have one nearby and it has worked out well.

Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #10

Tennessee
How was this not found during the PDI? Also, the upside pictures do nothing to enable us to help you. One from a slight angle from either side right side up would allow us to get an accurate view of the problem
Old 08-09-2019, 12:46 AM   #11

North Carolina
Thanks Army Vet, fingers crossed we can have dealer repair or find a repair shop that Dutchmen will authorize.

Wild West, I took those photos straight on while crouching down near where holding tanks should be. I think they rotated on upload. I’ll try again tomorrow for a better pic. One of the photos shows the black PVC elbow pipe that leads to nothing except to send kitchen sink water to ground. I’ll repost that tonight and try to have it orientate as I had taken it. Thank you!!

Ugh! It rotated again. That black open pipe in middle is sticking out from under trailer. I’m sure it should be attached to a feed line to gray tank, but the tanks and their plumbing are covered by the underbelly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20C9A6C4-AA40-4E56-A224-5D71A3EA4665.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	5726  
Old 08-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #12

Tennessee
I was able to acquire a pic of what your dump valves are supposed to look like, you do indeed have 2 gray water tanks on your 213, which seems strange, but it is what it is. It looks like they didn't put the dump gate on it, so that's an easy fix if you are at all handy. If water was coming out of there it's likely connected as it should be underneath. It's less than a $30 fix if you don't wan't to mess around with the dealer for weeks. I'm assuming something else is connected to that tank and it was full and started overflowing out of the end when you ran the sink.

On my 213, you can see how most of the drains are routed by opening the outside kitchen and pulling the drawers out. there's also a panel below the fridge next to the furnace( if your fridge is on the slide side by the bathroom) you can remove to see the shower drain. If they did manage to tie everything up underneath, it's easy peasy, if something under the belly isn't connected, i'd raise holy hell on the dealer. That's a big, not so fun job to tear the underbelly off.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #13

Tennessee
If it's possible, I would try to tie that line in with the other gray water line so you didn't have to connect or move another sewer line. If you have good ground clearance you may be able to go under the black water line (picture a p-trap) and put the valve in front of the other gray water valve. More work initially, but easier to maintain in the long run.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:49 AM   #14

North Carolina
Thank you WildWest. My husband is going to check all of this out and see if we can just add another gate. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your help and posting the photo of what it should look like.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #15

Tennessee
No problem, please disregard what I said about the gray tank being full, I was thinking septic tank, any water going into the gray tank should come out, especially when the end is open
Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #16

Oregon
As has already been mentioned, I would certainly raise a ruckus over this with the dealer I bought it from. Doubt things will improve much if we continue to just deal with it ourselves rather than seeking repairs for something that is not normal wear or tear but outright criminal neglect and oversight. Well, “criminal” may be a bit strong - but not by much IMO.

Along these lines, I have to say that since getting into RVing I am amazed at the poor level of manufacturer warrantees and the obvious issues some units have coming right out of the factories. Although generally not a fan of government interference, sometimes it is a necessity. So I am surprised that the government, at least at the state levels (to begin with) have not taken steps to insure that certain quality levels are established before these things hit the roads. After all, if due to gross neglect, oversight, or quality control, something were to go wrong and caused an accident, maybe a fatality, it would be a pretty big deal. When you look at the levels of inspection and safety vehicles are subjected to, it is surprising that other rigs that are on the road as much as trailers are are not under stricter supervision from government safety agencies.
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:58 AM   #17

North Carolina
Researchhound - I agree 110%. It’s mind-boggling that these trailers and motorhomes are not regulated, at very least for safety issues, as motor vehicles. I’m willing to pay a bit more for a safety and security.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Here is a corrected picture...

Yes someone at the factory AND the dealer screwed up. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20C9A6C4-AA40-4E56-A224-5D71A3EA4665.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	5751  
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #19

Tennessee
Maybe that's a stealth dump for campgrounds without full hookups.

Tags
aerolite, gray water tank