Mattress buying advice for 2017 Aerolite 213RBSL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #1

Arizona
Mattress buying advice for 2017 Aerolite 213RBSL

I added a 3-inch memory foam to the top of the crummy mattress in the trailer but the bed still kills my hips. I need to get a new good, soft memory foam mattress for the bed. It is such an odd size King bed so I'm hoping to get some advice on what to purchase. Thank you!!!!!!

MichelleW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

Massachusetts
I went to a regular mattress store to buy one after I modified the bed frame

Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

Arizona
Good to know. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

Texas
Towed it home from the dealer. Parked in driveway. Open RV door. Threw mattress out into yard. Think one of my kids hauled it off.
It was HUGE. But thin as a slice of cheese when you sat on it.

Ended up remodeling the bedroom because of how BIG the 213 got when that mattress was gone.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 AM   #5

Texas
We bought a really nice mattress topper at Bed and Bath - I think it was a Brookstone brand - not cheap - and it came in a regular looking box but - believe me - once we opened the plastic wrap it ""exploded"" in size and fits the king sized bed in our 298 RESL - I think it was about 3" too long and hubby used the electric knife to trim it down - it works wonderfully!! and we get a good night's sleep almost as nice as our Tempurpedic at home!
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleW View Post
I added a 3-inch memory foam to the top of the crummy mattress in the trailer but the bed still kills my hips. I need to get a new good, soft memory foam mattress for the bed. It is such an odd size King bed so I'm hoping to get some advice on what to purchase. Thank you!!!!!!
The issue I have with getting a "regular" mattress is when you store things in that handy storage space (life up the end of the bed) is that a regular mattress won't allow you to lift it up. I had to go the route of getting a really decent memory foam topper for mine. Now it sleeps just like our expensive bed at home and I can still lift up the mattress to get access to the storage compartment (where I keep my fly fishing gear).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:38 AM   #7

Oklahoma
We replaced the original, thin, mattress-like object with a Cal King memory foam mattress from Mattress Firm. The width fits perfectly but I extended the bottom (hinged portion) of the bed support. Slide fits right past it.

I'll admit that it is heavy when trying to access the storage so I fixed the hinged portion of the bed support by screwing it to the bed frame for rigity and then cut and framed-in a new access to access that space.

We just camped for a week in it and it was great. Easy access to (4) crates we store in there.
2017 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Special
robbsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #8

Texas
That's how you do it!!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 AM   #9

Arizona
Thank you for your response.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:13 AM   #10

Arizona
I found a Brookstone king RV mattress on Amazon that I'm ordering. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:05 PM   #11

South Carolina
I ordered a Zinus 10" pillow top mattress of of Amazon and put a 3" memory foam topper on it. It works great. Much better than the factory mattress that was in our camper.

http://https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-...queen+mattress
JASONRN97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONRN97 View Post
I ordered a Zinus 10" pillow top mattress of of Amazon and put a 3" memory foam topper on it. It works great. Much better than the factory mattress that was in our camper.

http://https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-...queen+mattress
Wow! How close is your nose to the ceiling?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #13

South Carolina
LOL.. it is not bad at all. I just have to be mindful not to sit straight up in bed or I might hit the underside of the upper cabinets!
JASONRN97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONRN97 View Post
LOL.. it is not bad at all. I just have to be mindful not to sit straight up in bed or I might hit the underside of the upper cabinets!
We really like our Zinus coil mattress. We put our 2" foam under it, to protect the mattress from the platform board. Like you, at 6'1", my head just barely misses the cabinet edge above us when I sit up. My legs even dangle loose when sitting on the edge; we got a stool for my wife's side for her to get up onto the bed!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 AM   #15

Idaho
King size

We bought our 2018 213rbsl knowing that the king size bed was history and after sleeping on it one time we knew it was to be replaced.
We decided to take out the footlocker storage at the foot of the bed and replaced it with a jackknife sofa. That allows us additional seating. So we purchased a tri-fold queen to fill the void. The difference between a King and a Queen is so insignificant you cant tell the difference, especially while you are sleeping. However we are having an aircraft/cabinet maker build in a fold down system to allow the changes in design.
Hope to have it all completed by mid Sept
If you would like to see the new modified sleeping area, let me know and I will post some pictures.
We are really excited about the modifications and looking forward to the completion.
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
We bought our 2018 213rbsl knowing that the king size bed was history and after sleeping on it one time we knew it was to be replaced.
We decided to take out the footlocker storage at the foot of the bed and replaced it with a jackknife sofa. That allows us additional seating. So we purchased a tri-fold queen to fill the void. The difference between a King and a Queen is so insignificant you cant tell the difference, especially while you are sleeping. However we are having an aircraft/cabinet maker build in a fold down system to allow the changes in design.
Hope to have it all completed by mid Sept
If you would like to see the new modified sleeping area, let me know and I will post some pictures.
We are really excited about the modifications and looking forward to the completion.
Sounds very elaborate. Please post pictures when you can.

Thanks.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #17

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
Bring on those pics, especially during the process so we can copy it.