LP tank holder - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2016, 11:34 PM   #1

Florida
LP tank holder

Here is a few pictures of the old LP tank holder. It is only 6 years old and it was totally rusted out. Only one bolt was holding it on! I bought a new one on line for $30.00 and put it on with new SS bolts and washer. I would suggest everyone check out their LP tank holders at least once a year. I am thankful it did not fall off and hurt someone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0145.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	3777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0146.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	3778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0147.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	3779  

masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #2

Florida
Looks like you probably have avoided a big problem,,Thanks for reminding us about a usually forgotten item.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:20 AM   #3

California
Another one of the those forgotten maintenance items. Spray on Rust-Oleum should help this. Looks like the drain slots did not do much.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #4

California
You are aware that your new SS bolts will now last a lifetime but cause the new pan to corrode even faster at the interface than before? You should install some type of insulating washer or material between the dissimilar metals, especially in Florida.
Kuhl951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

Florida
SS bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhl951 View Post
You are aware that your new SS bolts will now last a lifetime but cause the new pan to corrode even faster at the interface than before? You should install some type of insulating washer or material between the dissimilar metals, especially in Florida.
No, I was not aware of this! Thank you! I will replace with galvanized bolts and washers.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:34 AM   #6

Illinois
Also careful when tightening them, they aren't as strong as regular steel bolts. The elements added that give stainless steel it's corrosion resistance take away some of the strength in normal carbon steel. I build RC airplanes and in trying to keep costs down, I found Stainless socket head cap screws are less expensive than the alloy cap screws, and also found out they are not as strong, broke a couple that were used to secure the engine to the plane. needless to say, I now use only alloy bolts.

Here is a neat site regarding the dissimilar metal contact mentioned above. Article: Bimetallic (galvanic) corrosion risks from contact with galvanised steel or aluminium
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #7

Florida
SS bolts

Thank you for the link and info, I plan on re-doing this on the next camping trip 7 days at the end of Dec. Can't wait. Iam happiest when camping. Wish I could do all the time!!