Looking Seriously at 242RESL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #1

Florida
Looking Seriously at 242RESL

Greetings to the community!

I just recently retired and my wife is not far behind. We have often discussed getting an RV and doing some USA traveling. We rented a Class C for a week one time when the kids were young and loved it. I have a 2006 F-150 Lariat 5.4 gas 4x4 that I don't want to replace, so I'm looking for a comfortable TT mostly for the two of us with very occasional fly/drive-in guests as in adult children (2 at a time) or grandchildren.

Until recently I was fixated on Keystone lightweights but everything that looked like a comfortable tow only had curtains between the MB and the main cabin. A post somewhere recommended the 242RESL and we really like the floor plan.

As I calculate the tow capacity of the F150, the CCW is 1278#. Assuming there will be the two of us and the dogs in the TV and little else I subtracted 500# and came up with 778# remaining cargo capacity, read allowable tongue weight. Taking the F150 Owner's Manual max trailer (which includes fuel and a driver) I subtracted 350# for wife and dogs and came up with a trailer weight of 8250#. Even allowing for a 20% margin for hills, it looks like a fully loaded 24RESL should tow with no problems. Obviously, I'll get a WD hitch with sway control.

1. Does anyone see a problem with that tow (I know, F250 is better, and diesel is better than gas, but I'm not ready to make that jump yet)?

2. Can anyone give me some realistic tongue weight data for a loaded 242RESL? I was just assuming 12.5% of TT GVWR. At that, it's actually over by about 43# but I assumed I could work that with the WD hitch or by reducing the cargo load in the TT.

3. Does anyone have any suggestions for TTs that might meet our purposes better than the 242RESL?

Thanks,

Al
2006 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 153"WB, 2.73, HD Tow Pkg.

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Greetings to the community!

I just recently retired and my wife is not far behind. We have often discussed getting an RV and doing some USA traveling. We rented a Class C for a week one time when the kids were young and loved it. I have a 2006 F-150 Lariat 5.4 gas 4x4 that I don't want to replace, so I'm looking for a comfortable TT mostly for the two of us with very occasional fly/drive-in guests as in adult children (2 at a time) or grandchildren.

Until recently I was fixated on Keystone lightweights but everything that looked like a comfortable tow only had curtains between the MB and the main cabin. A post somewhere recommended the 242RESL and we really like the floor plan.

As I calculate the tow capacity of the F150, the CCW is 1278#. Assuming there will be the two of us and the dogs in the TV and little else I subtracted 500# and came up with 778# remaining cargo capacity, read allowable tongue weight. Taking the F150 Owner's Manual max trailer (which includes fuel and a driver) I subtracted 350# for wife and dogs and came up with a trailer weight of 8250#. Even allowing for a 20% margin for hills, it looks like a fully loaded 24RESL should tow with no problems. Obviously, I'll get a WD hitch with sway control.

1. Does anyone see a problem with that tow (I know, F250 is better, and diesel is better than gas, but I'm not ready to make that jump yet)?

2. Can anyone give me some realistic tongue weight data for a loaded 242RESL? I was just assuming 12.5% of TT GVWR. At that, it's actually over by about 43# but I assumed I could work that with the WD hitch or by reducing the cargo load in the TT.

3. Does anyone have any suggestions for TTs that might meet our purposes better than the 242RESL?

Thanks,

Al
2006 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 153"WB, 2.73, HD Tow Pkg.
Hi, Al...

I had a 2000 F150 7700, 5.4l, that I towed a 6500 Airstream with. It was great once I got across the Rockys and onto the plains, but to get there was hell.

I know the the '06 had a more power, but???

Since the F150, we upgraded to a diesel, then took the leep to a bigger TT. I wish we would have just gone to the larger rig to start.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Hi, Al...

I had a 2000 F150 7700, 5.4l, that I towed a 6500 Airstream with. It was great once I got across the Rockys and onto the plains, but to get there was hell.

I know the the '06 had a more power, but???

Since the F150, we upgraded to a diesel, then took the leep to a bigger TT. I wish we would have just gone to the larger rig to start.
Thanks for the data point. What is meant by 6500? Is that the GVWR for the trailer? I thought the 7700 was supposed to be kind of a F150HD with higher towing capacity.

It may not be the cheapest route, but I don't want to tie up a big pile of money until I know I really want to do this. Going to try to get my feet wet on a little budget.

Thanks,

Al
Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Thanks for the data point. What is meant by 6500? Is that the GVWR for the trailer? I thought the 7700 was supposed to be kind of a F150HD with higher towing capacity.

It may not be the cheapest route, but I don't want to tie up a big pile of money until I know I really want to do this. Going to try to get my feet wet on a little budget.

Thanks,

Al
Sorry, the trailer was 6500# GVRW

Basically the 7700 was a Light Duty F250, if that makes any sense. I did have a higher GVWR and GCVR than the F150. The but is it had the same 5.4l power as the F150, so I was passed by everything going through the Rockies.

The challenge that you will face is finding a TT that you will be happy with and will give you a buffer in the weight.

I would look at the used market, you can find some real gems, you will know one when you walk through and there is not a lot of wear and tear on it.

We had just about bought new, we told the salesman we were going to talk it over and sleep on it. The next morning I said to my wife that we had better go look at the used market. Glad we did, we found a 5 year old Colorado 30' rear living double slide. We paid half the MSRP and wound up with a unit that had seem very little use. The oven had never been used, nothing had ever boiled or on the stove, to leave that scunge mess that cooks onto the drip tray. The carpets show no wear and the original owners didn't pound any nails in the walls to hang stuff up.

If you find a gem of a used TT, you will not take the big hit if you decide it's not something that you want to do. It won't hurt as much if you do decide you want the lifestyle and want to upgrade to a larger TT and or tow vehicle.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:06 AM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Sorry, the trailer was 6500# GVRW

Basically the 7700 was a Light Duty F250, if that makes any sense. I did have a higher GVWR and GCVR than the F150. The but is it had the same 5.4l power as the F150, so I was passed by everything going through the Rockies.

The challenge that you will face is finding a TT that you will be happy with and will give you a buffer in the weight.

I would look at the used market, you can find some real gems, you will know one when you walk through and there is not a lot of wear and tear on it.

We had just about bought new, we told the salesman we were going to talk it over and sleep on it. The next morning I said to my wife that we had better go look at the used market. Glad we did, we found a 5 year old Colorado 30' rear living double slide. We paid half the MSRP and wound up with a unit that had seem very little use. The oven had never been used, nothing had ever boiled or on the stove, to leave that scunge mess that cooks onto the drip tray. The carpets show no wear and the original owners didn't pound any nails in the walls to hang stuff up.

If you find a gem of a used TT, you will not take the big hit if you decide it's not something that you want to do. It won't hurt as much if you do decide you want the lifestyle and want to upgrade to a larger TT and or tow vehicle.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Thanks again. Well, that trailer is about the same weight as the 242resl. I think I should have 20% margin on trailer tow, but I don't know what the HP difference might be between the 2000 and the 2006. My gear ratio is 3.73, but I think that is what the 7700 had, so I guess forewarned is forearmed. I just don't think I'm going to find anything with a floor plan I like with a GVWR under 6500. We really like the TT, so if we get it and love it and have towing trouble I guess we can always upgrade to an F250.

I am looking strictly at used, but this TT has only been built since 2012 so the selection is limited.

Thanks again for your input.

Al
Old 08-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #6

Alberta
I have this trailer and an f-150 eco ,towing it is not an issue hardly know its on the back of the truck
rid415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rid415 View Post
I have this trailer and an f-150 eco ,towing it is not an issue hardly know its on the back of the truck
Like wise, didn't know the trailer was back there with the 5.4l on the prairies. The challenge is getting over the Rockies.

The Ecoboost is putting out more power than the 5.4l.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #8

Saskatchewan
Greetings. We have a 242RESL that we purchased in the fall of 2011. DW and I love the floor plan but had some issues with quality control. We originally towed with a 2010 Silverado 5.3L which powered out every time we drove into the Rockies. Just took ownership of a 2013 Sierra with the 6.2L engine and can actually keep up with traffic. Not sure we'll get to the Rockies this year but look forward to early next year (our son and family are in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada).

Things about this trailer we didn't like:
1) Akuret tires I don't think I've got 8000 miles on this unit and the tires look horrible
2) Frame making up the couch is 1X2's and was full of knots and poorly fastened (staples). I already have had to rebuild this.
3) Like all trailers you'll need to upgrade the mattress.

If you have to purchase a hitch any way please consider the Andersen Hitch. I got a Husky hitch with the trailer and replaced it after only a few pulls as the trailer was all over the road. With the Andersen I have very little effect from wind and big trucks.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Greetings. We have a 242RESL that we purchased in the fall of 2011. DW and I love the floor plan but had some issues with quality control. We originally towed with a 2010 Silverado 5.3L which powered out every time we drove into the Rockies. Just took ownership of a 2013 Sierra with the 6.2L engine and can actually keep up with traffic. Not sure we'll get to the Rockies this year but look forward to early next year (our son and family are in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada).

Things about this trailer we didn't like:
1) Akuret tires I don't think I've got 8000 miles on this unit and the tires look horrible
2) Frame making up the couch is 1X2's and was full of knots and poorly fastened (staples). I already have had to rebuild this.
3) Like all trailers you'll need to upgrade the mattress.

If you have to purchase a hitch any way please consider the Andersen Hitch. I got a Husky hitch with the trailer and replaced it after only a few pulls as the trailer was all over the road. With the Andersen I have very little effect from wind and big trucks.
Hey, Kayak

Wave when you go through Kamloops.

I looked at the Anderson Hitch on the web, looks like some interesting technology.

I bought a Hennsley, when I bought the Ram. The box on the Ram is taller than the F150, so I couldn't drop the tailgate with the tailer hitched. The Hennsley fixed the problem. I did't need the sway control with the Airstream, but the Colorado sure does.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #10

Ohio
Looked at the 242resl but the 241rbsl has more storage to boot we tow with a trailblazer but looking at a Dodge Durango 2005-10 next June just got to pay the trailblazer more hove saved 9.13 in a month a little every pay check but the 241 has more storage see
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kodiak floor.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	599  
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #11

Alberta
the 242 is a 1 bedroom apartment with a bathroom close ,wife likes this not having to walk a long distance to go pee in the middle of the night
rid415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #12

Saskatchewan
Hello hddecker - will have to contact you and Cooper on our way through next summer and we can meet in one of the local campsites. During July and August we always take the long way through Jasper to the lower mainland (less traffic). It seems that we always camp up near Canoe River but there's nothing saying we couldn't come a little farther to chew the fat with you two. It will also give me a chance to show off our Andersen Hitch. We just completed a very long trip to Rochester, MN and the hitch worked wonderfully. We also just upgraded our tv to one with a 6.2L engine and it purred along at 100 k/h and 21000 RPM. We were able to pass when we needed to and kept a straight line most of the time - had a little wobble when passed by several semi's in a row.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #13

Florida
Looked at that but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak 2013 View Post
Looked at the 242resl but the 241rbsl has more storage to boot we tow with a trailblazer but looking at a Dodge Durango 2005-10 next June just got to pay the trailblazer more hove saved 9.13 in a month a little every pay check but the 241 has more storage see
I'm 6'2" so a 74" bed is a deal breaker. I don't get how they can call that 60x74 a Queen Bed, but all manufacturers do it.

We have shifted our focus to look only at TT with full (60x80) Queen Beds.

Thought is we'll try it with the F-150 (around 10% GCWR margin) and if that doesn't work out, we'll upgrade the TV.

Al
Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #14

Saskatchewan
Al you are absolutely right about the Queen Short not working for you. I''m just under 5'11" and the mattress just works for me. We just upgraded to a Sleep Number mattress (another queen short) and my toes just peek out the back.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
I'm 6'2" so a 74" bed is a deal breaker. I don't get how they can call that 60x74 a Queen Bed, but all manufacturers do it.

We have shifted our focus to look only at TT with full (60x80) Queen Beds.

Thought is we'll try it with the F-150 (around 10% GCWR margin) and if that doesn't work out, we'll upgrade the TV.

Al
It's wonderful how the RV industry takes liberties.

I have had the same problem and have put a "full queen" in the last two TTs we have had.

The mattress hangs over the end, but it hasn't been a problem as long as nobody sits on it.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #16

Towing 2013 242RESL with a MB GL450. Using tongue weight scale, I try to stay at 600# (have been as high as 800#). Tows perfect, but I'm in Texas and the only foothills I travel to are Arkansas and Missouri. Colorado is planned for next year. I use an Anderson WD hitch.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #17

I'll add a little more. The 242RESL published tongue weight is 505#, with the front storage bin loaded, my tongue weight hits between 700# to 800#. I use an Anderson hitch (which is great for this trailer by the way). Like you, it's must the wife and I retired. We tow with an SUV that's rated to tow 7,500#/600# tongue. Tows great, no problems. We looked at hundreds of units before we settled on this one and we're happy with it. Only thing I don't care for is the bumper mount grill (so I never use it).

hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote