Kodiak problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Kodiak problems

well this has to be the worst built trailer i have ever had. there has been so many problems since purchasing aug 10. Leaks in slideouts. cracks in fiberglass, trim falling off etc , every week there is something new, its to bad becouse is a nice looking trailer but i hope someday all the issues will be worked out of it. hope i have not offended anyone but i wish i had read something like this before buying my kodiak, i would have went with another keystone

sunsetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Re: Kodiak seem to be pooly built

Sorry to here this. Hope you do get things worked out.

Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #3

Re: Kodiak seems to be poorly built

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetwood
well this has to be the worst built trailer i have ever had. there has been so many problems since purchasing aug 10. Leaks in slideouts. cracks in fiberglass, trim falling off etc , every week there is something new, its to bad becouse is a nice looking trailer but i hope someday all the issues will be worked out of it. hope i have not offended anyone but i wish i had read something like this before buying my kodiak, i would have went with another keystone

I concur with your assessment of kodiak trailers. I have a 195 Hybrid. About 6 months after I got it the front bunkend fabric ripped from the seal and it was very difficult to get them to replace it. They (dutchmen/kodiak) actually had me contact the maker of the tent to get it replaced. The replacement doesn't fit right either. Then a while ago, since I never used the water tank I decided to fill it and then run the pump to flush out the plumbing. I discovered that the fill hose leaks inside the trailer and the water pump doesn't work anymore and won't prime so I had to drain the tank via petcock valve. And NOW the fiberglass is delaminating from the wood on the front right of the trailer. I really consider my trailer to be a lemon, but I will need a professional advice on that matter.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #4

Re: Kodiak problems

Don't get me started!

I purchased a Kodiak 300 BHSL at the end of August. I had 9 night in the trailer and it leaks like a basket.

I have approximately 9-10 major leaks - all of which are because of defects in workmanship. Caulking missing where it should be - caulking placed in the right spot, but not enough to create a seal and places where the caulking was started off right but then not continued and finished.

Otherwise I'm pleased.

Service with any RV dealer is like dealing with the Mafia. Especially in my case where I didn't purchase in my own province and there is only one dealer in my province. They don't wanna touch my trailer out of spite.

In any case I have an independent tech coming to my place to fix my work and he will get paid from Dutchmen - but I've been two months getting resolve to my issues and thankfully now I'm getting somewhere.

M.
waltersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #5

what province you in
Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #6

Sorry to hear all your problems, sunsetwood. What does your dealer say about everything. Where did you buy your trailer from ?

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #7

i bought it at truway recreation 10 aug here in newfoundland. i traded becouse i wanted my son to have more confort but its been a horible experence, all of my issues and then the cracks in the fiberglass has put alot of strain on me and my wife. my dealer doesnt want to do any work on the trailer, there answer to thing is we cant fix it come pick it up . we live 6 hours away so its a real pain. dutchmen keeps telling i will be taken care of , hearing this for month now, i dont know how to resolve this , i have nowhere to turn.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #8

Have you spoken to Dutchmen directly ?,if so have you talked with Joni. She is very helpful & gets things taken care of pretty fast..

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #9

i have talked to several people now at dutchmen, the 2 quote that have come in for repairs are to much for dutchmen so, they havent rerolved the issue
Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #10

Just keep on at them. If it's a new trailer & the cost is to much for them, tell them you want a replacement.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #11

dutchmen is going to fix it, the approved the bodyshop to repair. the thought the quote was to high but i had been through enough with the selling dealer,,, way to go dutchmen
Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #12

Good news. Hope it all gets sorted.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #13

We had several issues you mention here in my posts. We have now had our trailer almost a year and the items are slowly getting worked out.
I find that Dutchmen and the Dealer we have do a fine job of getting things repaired.
I have only had one negative experiance with Kodiak/Dutchmen and it involved the fact they advertised an option as a package on our trailer.
The dealer made it right and gave us that option after several other people made the same complaint to dutchmen. So I'm not exactly sure if the Dealer coughed up the money for it, or if dutchmen did.
But I will tell you. Who ever did, it was the right thing to do, and I have nothing negative to say about dutchmen.
I also understand that things fall apart and need repaired. At first it freaked us out, and now, it doesn't even bother us. We just add it to the list for when we take it to the dealer.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #14

Did I miss something? What exact model Kodiak did you buy?
rsanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #15

rsanderson, you asking me? Ultimate Fall Platinium Package. Advertised with a Bumper mount grill.
Never came with the trailer. Several other dealers listed it as the same "package" special deal. After calling several dealers back east some were confused as everyone else. The West Coast rep made it right with our dealership. My complaint about Kodiak at the time was how when we called, the person that answered must have been having a bad day and was very rude over the phone. Then a week later we received by mail a packet of papers that was the build sheet for our trailer with a post it note. All the post it note had as an arrow placed at the serial number of the stove top in the outdoor kitchen. No explaination or anything about what they were trying to say.
I finally had enough and drove across town to the dealer and we spoke with the owner who promptly called the Kodiak rep. Things worked out very quickly after that.
According to other people here they have not had the same experiance with talking to Kodiak customer service. That may be, but I did. It is so far the only complaint I had, but let it go as, sheesh, it's been a year and why let it bother me. Even I have a bad day.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 PM   #16

Resurrecting this old thread. Wondering if there is any news about these issues, especially the bunk end issues.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 AM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
Resurrecting this old thread. Wondering if there is any news about these issues, especially the bunk end issues.
The OP (and several other posters) haven't been on the forum in over 2 years...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #18

Maryland
Kodiak Problem???

Having just joined this forum recently, I am hoping that I do not have any of the problems that folks have encountered. We just purchased a 2015 Kodiak 300BHSL and will be taking it out on our first campout later this month.

Will keep you posted as to what we find on our outing.
Attached Images

mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #19

Colorado
Hopefully none of your experiences mirror mine. We picked up a 2014 284BHSL last March. Since then it has spent a total of 4 months at the dealer for repairs. Part of this I put on the dealer as I haven't been the least bit impressed with their service. However, it isn't their fault that the trailer has had so many issues.

We've had the front and rear cap replaced because of delamination, the curb side wall above the slide has had work done because of delamination. A support bracket for the slide was only tacked in place instead of welded. Thankfully that broke at our storage lot and not in the middle of nowhere. One side of the battery tray was also only tacked, we were really lucky not to lose the battery on the highway. There were also several minor issues that I either fixed myself or were fixed under warranty.

This is my first trailer and I can say with certainty that my next will not be a Dutchmen product.
woob44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #20

Maryland
My first outing with Kodiak 300BHSL

So here is the list of things I've found the first campout with the new trailer:

1. The shower hose connector between the Hot/Cold faucets was cracked and leaking; presumably due to water in the line during the winter. I replaced it myself.

2. Leak in roof above master bedroom. I discovered during rain storm water running down the wall from the ceiling to the floor. Looked at roof in that corner and discovered that there was a small hole where the metal portion of the front of the trailer meets the rubber roof. The caulking they applied over the brace apparently didn't ooze enough. Since I applied caulking into that hole, I haven't seen any more rain water inside the trailer.

3. My 125 lbs son sleeps on the convertible table in the rear of the trailer. When he sat down hard on the table-top when it was in the down position, the brace supporting the table-top came loose from the seat support. Discovered it was connected to the seat with 3 wood screws and only a few dabs of cheap glue (I was able to rub the glue off with just my thumb). I used Gorilla Glue and 6 wood screws to secure the brace in place. Also went to all the other braces in the trailer and did the same.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote