Kodiak problems - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2016, 05:08 AM   #41

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlawnDon View Post

The only thing I'm wondering about is that I can't get the hot water tank to work on electricity alone, only propane. The manual states there are two types of heaters, one which works on both and one which works on propane only. I haven't been able to confirm yet which model I have.
WoodlawnDon,

If it is a dual Fuel (propane\electric) water heater, I think you will have a switch setup that makes it obvious. At least on my little 213RBSL on the master controls there are 2 switches side by said labels Hot Water Propane and Hot Water Elec . By having those switches, you can also choose to not have the hot water heater even on.

Also, if you open the access door to the water heater, it is easy to see the two methods and their associated hardware.

Good luck

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #42

Colorado
The 166E hybrid we bought new Nov, 2013 has been solid. Used 90% of the time offroad in CO, AZ, NV, UT, CA. It has handled some pretty severe offroading well. We haven't babied it, bought it specifically for boondocking in rough desert areas.

Used it maybe 13 months out of the 36 months we owned it, and that was in 3-4 month stretches offroading with weekly trips to town to replenish the fresh and LP tanks. Our daughter in law dearly wants it for her animal rescue operation she runs in the 4corner res's, they'll use it as a mobile spay/neuter clinic. That may be the best home it can go to.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #43

I must have got the one that was put together by a stoner!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #44

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
I must have got the one that was put together by a stoner!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Kodiak maybe went to aluminum frame after yours was built. Could have been built on a Monday with a hangover, could have been built on a Friday anticipating a barbash!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #45

Georgia
New 2017 291RESL Issues

Luckily we have found few and those really not Dutchman issues.

Two pulldown blinds had black finger prints...had them replaced.

One of the "leather" rocking chairs had torn artificial, imititation, synthetic nauga hide leather on the arm that was torn. We got a whole new chair.

One decal on side was torn...they replaced

The Norcold refrigerator does not cool very well on gas when traveling down the road. Probably this is due to all the rocking around messes with the ammonia refrigerant. While parked it cools on both electrical and gas.

The mattress supplies....$ucked is a mild term. Replaced with a Serta Posturepedic at my cost.

Had to re-caulk a few joints.

Other than this the workmanship was ok.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #46

Illinois
Kodiak 233 rsbl leaking

Well I purchased this trailer to use while on the road working because I travel so much. I pulled into a RV campground in Ohio and get everything set up level and ready to go. Well last night it started to rain and I didn't pay much attention at first but then went in to get ready for bed and the floor was wet. I went searching and found the front window was wet so I wiped it down and through I would get some caulking and be done. Then the water kept coming and then I realized it was coming from the trim on the roof. This side of the trailer on the outside is the awning which was pulled in. So I wiped it down and it started pouring in. I caulked but wasn't fast enough I then remembered I had a can of flex seal so I sprayed the whole area( also never do this at 11pm at night it is a bad idea).
I thought hey if a guy can spray a door and mount it on a boat I can easily stop a small leak.
It stopped I was happy and went to go to bed. Then I felt a drip on my leg. the roof is leaking so bad I had to roll up the mattress and place plastic bags on the bed. I ended up making the dining room table into a bed so I could get some sleep. This morning I woke up the whole roof is wet the bed is wet, floor you name it its all wet. WTH I would think the first thing about building a TT is to make one that does not leak straight off the showroom floor or maybe we are supposed to park in a garage everywhere we go to keep from leaking.
Now I am on a job for the next 45 days I cant sleep in this trailer until the water is cleaned up and dried up. I don't have any idea where to even start to figure this leak out.
I am almost at the point of selling the damn thing and staying in a hotel. I am so upset and bought this to make my life easier on the road now it is nothing but a hassle.
Sorry I didn't take any pictures because of 1000 things going on at the same time.
msandlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:07 PM   #47

Georgia
msandlin15

I guess its welcome to the Club for me... I bought a Kodiak Ultimate on 2/29/2020 and had it in my driveway for a week, now it has been at the Dealer for three weeks with no idea of its return. Page long Repair/Provide list given to them.
Horrible Dealer, Horrible Company (Dutchman) to Deal with. Hw can an RV get through the assembly line and a Dealer prep and have ALL THINGS THINGS WRONG WITH IT! Then Dutchman just puts the job on the Dealer: "Not our problem anymore!" The Dealer says they are waiting on Dutchman for Warranty repair authorization. Then the Dealer lies every time we speak because they forget what they told me the week before but I TAKE NOTES.
Reminds me of the old joke: "How can you tell if a politician is lying? His mouth is open!"
So it is 3/31/2020 and still no RV and of course, the FIRST payment is due... Too bad Dutchman did not finance, but now I know why... They would get what I got: "the image of money!"
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #48

California
Interesting thread.. I bought a used 2014 and just spent 2 weeks in isolation in it. Some heavy rain, cold every night. nothing leaked, everything worked just fine.
I added a foam topper from Walmart to the bed.. now it's perfect, sleep like a baby. Bathroom is nicer than the Class C or Class A motorhomes I've had in the past. Shower is roomy enough and gets nice and hot. Kitchen is easy to work in with the slide extended.
I do wish it had more outside-accessible storage but I can live with using the truck for stuff. and it seems higher off the ground than needed, almost like it was lifted but there's no evidence of mods that I can see. I have to carry lots of wood blocks for the scissor jacks to work. a place to store a decent-sized generator would be nice. no serious complaints though.

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle w/ factory towing package
JTMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #49

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMD View Post
...and it seems higher off the ground than needed, almost like it was lifted but there's no evidence of mods that I can see. I have to carry lots of wood blocks for the scissor jacks to work...
Just thinking out loud here... but perhaps the previous owner flipped the axles?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #50

Georgia
Quote:
Interesting thread.. I bought a used 2014 and just spent 2 weeks in isolation in it. Some heavy rain, cold every night. nothing leaked, everything worked just fine.
I added a foam topper from Walmart to the bed.. now it's perfect, sleep like a baby. Bathroom is nicer than the Class C or Class A motorhomes I've had in the past. Shower is roomy enough and gets nice and hot. Kitchen is easy to work in with the slide extended.
I do wish it had more outside-accessible storage but I can live with using the truck for stuff. and it seems higher off the ground than needed, almost like it was lifted but there's no evidence of mods that I can see. I have to carry lots of woodblocks for the scissor jacks to work. a place to store a decent-sized generator would be nice. no serious complaints though.
The previous "Original" owner worked all the kinks out and fought the battles for you! LOLOLOL! You should thank them! BTW: My unit sits very high as well. I thought maybe because of the enclosed underbelly but???? I can get under it very easily so that is good, but how about handling on flat windy highways?

I have the same limited external storage with my new unit also, even though we have never used it...I see some "workarounds" already coming due to limited exterior storage space. We are still gathering supplies, accessories, etc., for our RV as we are being positive that the hostage situation will eventually have to be over and the Dealer completes the requested maintenance/warranty work and will release it back to me by the end of the Summer.

BTW: They are still open for business but tell me they are not working in the service area...But they are selling/sold new units and have to be servicing them to turn over to the new owners. Gander RV is a SLIMY place of business.

I am going to sectionalize areas of my truckbed for the storage of specific gear required when traveling with the RV. Luckily and unluckily my truck came with a top-notch "very water-resistant" sliding bed cover. (Ran it through a car wash purposely with it closed to check it!)
It would be PERFECT however if my bed was a little deeper to store my generator under the cover when closed! So I need to chop some height off of my generator by taking its handles and wheels off.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #51

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerga View Post
The previous "Original" owner worked all the kinks out and fought the battles for you! LOLOLOL!
I thought about that, but there's almost no evidence that the trailer was ever used. The remote for the entertainment centers was still in it's plastic as was the low-tack tape cover for the slide and awning remote. The oven looked totally unused. The pull-down curtains looked factory fresh. None of the usual and understandable signs of use typical for a 6 year old trailer. Even found some appliance manuals in it and the feet for the flatscreen still wrapped up in plastic. About the only evidence of use was the drilled holes for the sway bar mount and some additional straps for the battery.
Yes, wind is definite felt but no worse than the class A I used to have. My first trip home with it was on I-10 at 3am and the semi trucks were a lot more annoying than the ambient winds. Getting load-equalizing and sway bars added helped that a lot. Back in the 70s I had a early-60s era 34' Kencraft that was MUCH lower to the ground. It was uber heavy but towed like a dream. In those days I had a 69 GMC with a 352 V6 and a 4-speed with compound low gear. That was a great rig but the trailer had twin beds - not ideal for a single 20-something Towing an ultra-lite with a 350 hemi and 8 speed auto is a different animal altogether.

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle w/ factory towing package
JTMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #52

Georgia
Quote:
I thought about that, but there's almost no evidence that the trailer was ever used. The remote for the entertainment centers was still in it's plastic as was the low-tack tape cover for the slide and awning remote. The oven looked totally unused. The pull-down curtains looked factory fresh. None of the usual and understandable signs of use typical for a 6 year old trailer. Even found some appliance manuals in it and the feet for the flatscreen still wrapped up in plastic. About the only evidence of use was the drilled holes for the sway bar mount and some additional straps for the battery.
Yes, wind is definite felt but no worse than the class A I used to have. My first trip home with it was on I-10 at 3am and the semi trucks were a lot more annoying than the ambient winds. Getting load-equalizing and sway bars added helped that a lot. Back in the 70s I had a early-60s era 34' Kencraft that was MUCH lower to the ground. It was uber heavy but towed like a dream. In those days I had a 69 GMC with a 352 V6 and a 4-speed with compound low gear. That was a great rig but the trailer had twin beds - not ideal for a single 20-something Towing an ultra-lite with a 350 hemi and 8 speed auto is a different animal altogether.
Good for you!!! I do not think I have ever been that lucky. That sounds like an RV that will take you many places for many years! Happy trails!
Yes, I agree with the need for sway/weight distribution with an ample tow vehicle combination. I have an almost total 34’ sail behind me. (29’ box) so I bought the 4 - point Equalizer hitch. I have been a loyal Equalizer customer for three prior RV’s.
I also stepped-up up on the tow vehicle by buying a 3/4ton with a 6.6 liter diesel and 750 ft pounds of torque. 😀
Hope to see you on the road someday, Joshua Tree is on my bucket list!