Kodiak problems - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 02:37 AM   #21

Tennessee
So far, so good

We have a 2013 Kodiak 221RBSL. Something on the order of 10K miles so far. Dealer support has been good for the couple of minor issues we've had. Heading out west again in June. We'll keep y'all posted if we have any issues.

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #22

Maryland
all of my previous problems that I listed on 04-09-2015 have been corrected with my own repairs. We are still experiencing a problem with the living-room slide-out but are going to give it a few more weeks before we take it in for repair.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #23

Maryland
Status update:
1. It seems all the leaks I repaired are working. There has been several storms since the initial discovery and repair and (knock-on-wood), no further leaks in the trailer.

2. The living-room slide issue seems to have been resolved by:
A. Lubricating the drive unit per their recommendation.
B. Ensuring the unit is level. (followed recommendations from "TT Leveling" thread.

3. Caulking of the bathroom and kitchen sinks solved the leaking problem.

Now I only have to do a few more improvements/enhancements from the "honey-do/wish list", then everything should be great.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #24

California
I find the "honey-do/wish list" never ends.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #25
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I find the "honey-do/wish list" never ends.
There are so many items on my list I will never die!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #26

Maryland
One of the items on her "Honey do" is a magnetic board. Since we started camping, every place we go we pick up a magnet or get a smashed penny and put a magnet on the back of it and display it on our wall inside the trailer.

On our old trailer, we had two 9"x13" cookie sheets (steel type) that were great, but after 12 years of camping, we ran out of space. When we purchased our new trailer, we didn't want to put up the cookie sheets so we are looking for something about 36"x36" to put on a wall.

Anyone have any idea where I could find a magnetic piece of material in that size?

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 05-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #27

Arizona
Magnetic boards

You can find magnetic white boards at any office supply store. They usually also act as whiteboards with a tray to hold the markers. if you want more of a flat panel take a look at the attached website. You can even wallpaper or cover these panels. A little more expensive than a regular white board.

MagPanelâ„¢ Magnetic Board, Magnetic Dry-Erase, FreeStanding Display and Magnets
2015 Polaris Ranger 900 EPS
Aztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #28

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetwood View Post
well this has to be the worst built trailer i have ever had. there has been so many problems since purchasing aug 10. Leaks in slideouts. cracks in fiberglass, trim falling off etc , every week there is something new, its to bad becouse is a nice looking trailer but i hope someday all the issues will be worked out of it. hope i have not offended anyone but i wish i had read something like this before buying my kodiak, i would have went with another keystone

I know the feeling, we had so many problems when we got our Kodiak that we thought the list would never go away, but after about two trips with big list of problems each time, the issues started to trickle down to a here and there thing. Hang in there man, things should ease up.
Wakeisland53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #29
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcarte View Post
One of the items on her "Honey do" is a magnetic board. Since we started camping, every place we go we pick up a magnet or get a smashed penny and put a magnet on the back of it and display it on our wall inside the trailer.

On our old trailer, we had two 9"x13" cookie sheets (steel type) that were great, but after 12 years of camping, we ran out of space. When we purchased our new trailer, we didn't want to put up the cookie sheets so we are looking for something about 36"x36" to put on a wall.

Anyone have any idea where I could find a magnetic piece of material in that size?
What color? You can by metal flat stock with a baked on enamel finish, all you would have to do is come up with an edge detail or have a shop hem the edges for you.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #30

Maryland
We found a metal shop in our area that will cut a piece of magnetic metal to our dimensions. I have to measure the area again then we will get with them. They said a piece about 36"x36" should cost between $25-$30 depending upon thickness and "color" we want.

I read online that someone actually went to their county dump and found a panel from the front of a dishwasher that was clean and used that. The dump actually let him have it for free. I may have to check them out as well.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 05-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #31

Maryland
This past weekend we ended an 7-week camping trip. A local campground had a spring special which allowed us to take the trailer up there and leave it there for the entire period. We were able to just go there every weekend for the past 7 weeks. It worked out great for setting up the trailer and getting things working.

The problems with the living-room slide out have not surfaced again. Making sure that the trailer is level or just slightly higher on that side and lubricating the slideout per Lippert's recommendation seems to have corrected the problems we have experienced.

The leaks in the roof have not come back.

The leaks in the bath and kitchen sinks have been corrected.

No I am just working on the "honey-do/wish lists".

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 06-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #32

Ontario
I concurr with your assessment of the Kodiak....think we got twin lemons.
carebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #33

Maryland
I wouldn't say that it is a lemon as I have not had any other problems since the first outing with it.

In fact we just returned from another outing this weekend. None of the previous problems "raised their ugly head" (knock -on-wood!). And with all the rain we have been having lately, it is nice to know that the unit is not leaking.

The same is true on the slide-out; since I have lubricated the unit, and made sure that it is level or just slightly higher on dinning-room-slide side, we have not had any other trouble with the slides.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 06-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #34

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcarte View Post
I wouldn't say that it is a lemon as I have not had any other problems since the first outing with it.

In fact we just returned from another outing this weekend. None of the previous problems "raised their ugly head" (knock -on-wood!). And with all the rain we have been having lately, it is nice to know that the unit is not leaking.

The same is true on the slide-out; since I have lubricated the unit, and made sure that it is level or just slightly higher on dinning-room-slide side, we have not had any other trouble with the slides.
Bare with me while I get the handle of the forum (please)-I had been responding to the initial poster but see they haven't been around in a while....but good to see your issues have not arisen again!

I've had my new unit since June 2013 a Kodiak Express 2014 and nothing but grief since the first outing with canvass, plastic seaming issues, metal door frame puncturing canvass, etc. What an ongoing headache. If I knew now, back then...I would have avoided this model like the plague. What we learn as we go.

The slide-outs sure look appealling though (dont' have that on mine but have looked at those models).
carebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #35

Maryland
I fully understand the grief that comes along when manufacturer don't seem to put quality before profits.

It wasn't till after I had purchased my unit (2015 Kodiak 300BHSL) in December 2014, that I found this forum and threads. Wish I had discovered it beforehand as there were several things I could have done during the inspection different.

However, my wife and I are enjoying our new trailer especially since we have worked out all the kinks.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 06-27-2015, 05:53 AM   #36

Ohio
since we had our now gone 241 RBSL we have little if any problems till this may the door glass over are slide broke in miny pieces and still don't think we have found all of it yet.
on the way home Joyce forge the hole and the coffee pot moved to the dinette seat out of the cabinet above
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #37

Indiana
questions

I've had my new unit since June 2013 a Kodiak Express 2014 and nothing but grief since the first outing with canvass, plastic seaming issues, metal door frame puncturing canvass, etc. What an ongoing headache. If I knew now, back then...I would have avoided this model like the plague. What we learn as we go.

....curious, I have a 2015 172E, that I am pretty happy with at the moment (only two trips so far).
How did the metal door frame puncture the canvass? I'd like to avoid that if possible.
boiler1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #38

Is there anything we can do??? Class action suit maybe??? My 08 195 is breaking down faster than I can fix anything. I'm camping in it right now and the step just pulled out of the rotting floor. Apparently water has got in the floor somehow!!! I'm using a step stool to get in and out of the camper. This thing is JUNK! The bunk ends are garbage and been unusable since about 2011, there's delamination, the fenders literally FELL OFF. The electrical system drains a battery, the outside shower never worked, the inside shower walls are buckling out in olaces. and then the step just pulled out of the floor as I was going out. I only weigh 155 too. I have 12K to pay on this thing and it's basically unusable! Complete garbage in my view!!!!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #39

Colorado
Kodiak 240bhsl - Very Reliable

For what it's worth, my Kodiak has been rock solid in its first year of action. I'm on 10 weekends up in the Rocky Mountains and so far have not had any major issues. Hopefully the good luck continues, and hopefully it means (most of) the rest of the Kodiak owners are in for a good experience.

Tim
onedoubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #40

Ontario
I'm always sorry to hear of folks with problems. Like cars, the dealer experience is usually what defines whether you end up liking the brand or not.

Not much solace to you, but my 2015 Kodiak 241rbsl has been great, everything works as should. This was our first summer ever camping with a trailer so I did manage to put it through some tough paces as I learned. Very happy with my choice so far.

The only thing I'm wondering about is that I can't get the hot water tank to work on electricity alone, only propane. The manual states there are two types of heaters, one which works on both and one which works on propane only. I haven't been able to confirm yet which model I have.

WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote