Kodiak Express 172e Leaking Canvas and more issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Ontario
Kodiak Express 172e Leaking Canvas and more issues

So I purchased a Kodiak Express 172e in September of 2013, and used it for the remainder of the camping season. During that time we noticed some extremely disturbing issues, two that I have listed below, others the dealer has been quick to fix.

1) The Canvas leaks in all four corners of the bunk ends at mattress level. Water drips in at a very steady rate and pools under the mattresses. We brought it back to the dealer and had them look it over, and they have told me they have raised the issue with Dutchman so I’m hoping to have a resolution before next season.
2) Condensation on the inside of the canvas bunk ends to the point that it’s like a rain forest in there. We tried everything to remove the moisture and only slightly reduced it with many tricks suggested on here and other web articles.

Overall we are disappointed with this trailer so far, I understand there would be minor issues to work out, but something as major as water interring through the canvas is something I didn’t expect. We used to have a 20 year old Tent Trailer and it never had any of these issues.

Thaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Ontario
I hope your dealer gets the issues fixed for the spring.

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

Idaho
We used to have a tent-end Kodiak and we also had some of the same issues.

#1) The water leaking in,,, Check and see if your down spouts are running water onto the canvas. If the are, get the gutter extensions and re-direct the flow. We had issues with the canvas coming out of the channels and having to unscrew the channel and put it back in, thus no more holes and leaks.

#2) The condensation in our trailer ends was solved by simply zipping open the window/screen vents on opposite sides of the bed and letting air flow through. You can also turn on the bunk end fans and help move the air around. You need to have air flow in the tent ends while you sleep or you will get the moisture build up. Same thing with tents when you backpack. Your old tent camper was probably not as airtight as this Kodiak, so moisture didn't build up in it.

Every trailer has its little issues, and it helps to be a jack of all trades. We got rid of our trailer and upgraded to a newer hard side Kodiak. We camp in the fall and on the Oregon coast most of the time, so the tent ends just didn't fit us.
jtaylor1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #4

New York
Quote:
The Canvas leaks in all four corners of the bunk ends at mattress level. Water drips in at a very steady rate and pools under the mattresses. We brought it back to the dealer and had them look it over, and they have told me they have raised the issue with Dutchman so I’m hoping to have a resolution before next season.

In the process(have put a deposit) of purchasing a 2014 172E, this makes me very nervous about the whole thing. We love the camper. We were able to walk in campers of the same exact design at the RV show and really scrutinize them and though the 172E was $4k more, the quality of inside and outside didn't compare.
adkcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation, kodiak express 172e, leaks, upset, water damage