Kodiak Cub Owners? - Page 8 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #141

Wisconsin
Couple of questions that people may have addressed themselves.

1) This thing has a Winegard connect 2.0 prewired. I see all the hardware and the panel inside. where do you get modules/parts to make this thing functional? I work IT and my wife has her own business, this thing would be helpful if I already have half the parts.

My 2018 Kodiak Cub did not come with a Winegard connect. You can find a manual on Dutchmen.com. Connect to the website and search for Winegard.

2) We FIlled our tanks + a few other freshwater jugs(+44L). This turned out to be more than enough water. Our grey water tanks might need some help. One of us had a very short shower, plus food prep and dishes. It is reading full by our second night. Tomorrow morning is going to be tight before we break camp. Is there enough room in the belly of this thing to have a second grey tank?

RV parks and public campground in the southern US often have sewer available in campsites. People connect to these services for showers.
Sponge baths and using the campground showers works better in northern climates.
You can get sewage carts to dump tanks into and tow (slowly) to dump sites.

It cost about $300 US to drop the bottom cover and reinstall it. I did see my Cub belly once, but do not remember enough to say for sure. Putting a second tank ahead of the fresh tank may be possible, but would require plenty of plumbing, relocating things, etc.
If you are going to open the bottom, there are other things you should do at the same time.
Use wire ties to bundle wires and padding over sharp edges to prevent shorts developing.
Insulate any water supply pipes routed through the belly (especially hot water pipes).
Seal and insulate the space around all three tanks. "All Season" means above 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) to Dutchmen/Keystone.
Verify the furnace duct connection to underbelly has been drilled fully through the floor.
Look for other shoddy work and correct.

3) We want to put a curtain along with the bunks so when the kids go to bed we can leave some lights on. If we use short screws will we hit anything critical in the ceiling?

I have not fastened anything to the ceiling. The walls are a thin soft paneling over Styrofoam. Wall studs are aluminum. Many short screws are needed to hold weight. Check out the bath curtain mounting for possible methods. Hitting something is always possible, but not likely.

4) Has anyone done anything to the water pump and the 12-volt converter fan to make them less noisy? The fan I can probably get a nice computer fan that runs silently. Was thinking of a rubber mat for the pump with maybe some insulation to deaden the sound.

I have a WFCO converter/charger with service entrance and fuse panel all in one plastic case. I cannot recommend modifying air flow. It is vital for health of the converter.
The water pump in my Cub is already mounted on rubber pads. Sometimes the pipes connected to the pump rattle against adjacent structure. Rerouting or installing clamps can stop the rattle.
Installing a small pressure tank can absorb the pulsing flow (consider winterizing issues).
The pump may change from noisy to more quiet operation all by itself from time to time. Mine does. It could be due to sticky check valves.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #142

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyte View Post
we are currently out on our first outing as a family with our 175bh. There are 2 adults and 2 children 9 and 7. So far everything seems to be working well. We are coming from backcountry tent camping so this is all very new to us. We can escape the black flies in ontario!

Couple of questions that people may have addressed themselves.

1) this thing has a winegard connect 2.0 prewired. I see all the hardware and the panel inside. Where do you get modules/parts to make this thing functional? I work it and my wife has her own business, this thing would be helpful if i already have half the parts. that thing comes on when the light is on. You should not need any other parts to get off air signals. Do you have a small power button on the cable outlet?

2) we filled our tanks + a few other freshwater jugs(+44l). This turned out to be more than enough water. Our grey water tanks might need some help. One of us had a very short shower, plus food prep and dishes. It is reading full by our second night. Tomorrow morning is going to be tight before we break camp. Is there enough room in the belly of this thing to have a second grey tank?

3) we want to put a curtain along with the bunks so when the kids go to bed we can leave some lights on. If we use short screws will we hit anything critical in the ceiling? There usually won't be anything in the ceiling. i would use pop rivets instead of screws.

4) has anyone done anything to the water pump and the 12-volt converter fan to make them less noisy? The fan i can probably get a nice computer fan that runs silently. Was thinking of a rubber mat for the pump with maybe some insulation to deaden the sound. change the lamps to led and the fan will not run as much. If at all. The water pump is a two stage fix. Rubber underneath the pump and change the "last mile" of the hoses. Use a flexible rubber hose within the last 4-6" of the connection to the pump and the vibrations usually stop.

thanks in advance, and so far we are happy with the trailer. We have only done a 2 night trip into algonquin.
welcome to the forum!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #143

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the suggestions guys, this and the one above.

I do have the panel in the trailer with the two buttons and the coaxial. The documentation for the Winegard hardware shows an LTE and WIFI option. But I don't see where there is a default SSID or any way to interface with the Winegard system for those options. I assume its those modules I need to add if I can? I will check Dutchman's website as well(I think I stumped the service department where we bought this trailer).

The pump ideas are good, I will start with those and see if the noise is reduced.

Now that we are back, we did manage to not overfill our waste tanks. But the anxiety was there. We will see if modifying our behaviours a bit might lengthen our tank use. But a second grey tank is a real possibility if space is there.
BlueByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #144

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys, this and the one above.

I do have the panel in the trailer with the two buttons and the coaxial. The documentation for the Winegard hardware shows an LTE and WIFI option. But I don't see where there is a default SSID or any way to interface with the Winegard system for those options. I assume its those modules I need to add if I can? I will check Dutchman's website as well(I think I stumped the service department where we bought this trailer).

The pump ideas are good, I will start with those and see if the noise is reduced.

Now that we are back, we did manage to not overfill our waste tanks. But the anxiety was there. We will see if modifying our behaviours a bit might lengthen our tank use. But a second grey tank is a real possibility if space is there.

This owner's manual covers two models, the wifi and the wireless (being cell phone 4th generation and Long Term Evolution (same-0, same-0) internet.

http://www.winegard.com/help/images/e/e8/2452399.pdf

It also indicates how to reset to default and start all over again with an internal SSID, a guest network, and an internal DHCP range (which is on the 10.11.12.0 network). the IP of the router is 10.11.12.1 (default).

you can also get some ideas for your gray water issue here:

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/elim...er-burning-man

or purchase one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39000-P...36667837&psc=1
Old 06-23-2019, 02:30 AM   #145

Utah
Window over bed

I am looking to get a 2020 cun 175bh. In looking at the 2019 and 2018 models they have a window drivers side over the bed. The 2020 model this was left out. There are some 2019 amd 2018s available and my husband thinks he would like that window. But we are wondering if there have been any problems with them that lead to Dutchman removing them.
Rparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #146

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparker View Post
I am looking to get a 2020 cun 175bh. In looking at the 2019 and 2018 models they have a window drivers side over the bed. The 2020 model this was left out. There are some 2019 amd 2018s available and my husband thinks he would like that window. But we are wondering if there have been any problems with them that lead to Dutchman removing them.
probably cost too much to put in so OFF WITH IT!

Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-23-2019, 11:41 PM   #147

British Columbia
2020 175bh

Hello everyone!

Just picked up our new 2020 175BH last week. Spent the weekend doing a shakeout camp. Everything seems to work great, so far! Compared to our old Prolite Profil, it is huge and enhances our camping in so many ways. We had simply outgrown our previous unit. I know it won't be perfect, and that's been obvious here. But that's part of the fun of having a rolling home and seeing how you guys interact and share tips and knowledge, happy to join the Dutchmen and Cub club.

Cheers!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190621_203816.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	5540   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_215651.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	5541  
coastal_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #148

Washington
Roof Vent covers

Hi all
Has anyone installed roof vent covers and if so which ones - Maxxair?
are they easy to install. looking to keep the rain out on and vent open!
also can you leave the vent open with a cover on it and roll down the road?
Thanks
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #149

Colorado
TK...I went with the MaxAir and it was easy enough...not 5 mins like in some of the videos, but that could have been user error!

Yes you can roll with vents open...haven’t had any water come through.
barrieb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:05 AM   #150

Colorado
No power to microwave

I just realized I’m not getting any power to the microwave. We don’t use it much so I’m not sure when the problem occurred. No lights, clock, nothing.

Plugged into shore, all other appliances work. Breaker is fine.

Any advice? Is the plug located directly behind the MW? Maybe it rattled out on some bumpy roads.

Kodiak Cub 275bh 2018

—posted this in general as well but thought maybe this is specific to the Cub.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #151

Wisconsin
There is a 115 volt socket in the space behind the Microwave. I saw mine when the microwave in my Cub broke out of its mounting. It was not supported underneath and was hanging from the front bezel. The bezel broke.

I shimmed the bottom so the rubber feet on the microwave are supporting it and screwed the bezel back in place. I would have had to buy a complete microwave installation kit to get a new bezel.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #152

Colorado
Thanks Persistent...I'll pull it out and check back there. Hopefully it just came unplugged. Mine seems to be loose on the front mounting/bracket as well. I'll need to look at it more this weekend.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #153

Washington
Battery Charging

Hey friends - does anyone know what type of charging system is in the Cub?
When i am plugged in at home am i at risk of overcharging my batteries? Or when they are fully charged do they then go to a trickle charge? of course there is nothing in any manual i received. friends trailer switches to a maintenance charge when he is plugged in at home? don't want to do too much damage to the batteries.
Thank you for your help!
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #154

Wisconsin
Wfco

My 2018 Kodiak Cub has a WFCO 30 amp converter/charger. It has a three stage microprocessor controlled charge profile.
Bulk stage initiates when battery voltage is low. Charging voltage rises to 14.4 volts. This stage is limited to 4 hours max.

The next stage is 13.6 volts and runs more or less permanently. This is a little high for some AGM and GEL cell batteries. They tolerate it fine for a while, but may eventually vent a little.

When output current is very low and the microprocessor detects no changes for a long time, it switches to long term maintenance of 13.2 volts. This voltage is good for ever.

If you turn on a light or anything else, the WFCO will switch back to 13.6 volts.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/

https://wfcoelectronics.com/theory-of-operation/
Old 07-17-2019, 02:32 AM   #155

Colorado
You were correct...thanks for the advice. That mounting was supposed to have 4 screws and it was only supported by two. I plugged it back in and re-fit the mounting. Seems to be doing well.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 AM   #156

Colorado
Electric Tongue Jack Recommendations

I'm looking to replace my manual tongue jack on my Cub with an electric, mainly for hooking up my Weight Distribution (WD) hitch. I've been looking and there is quite a price range and maximum weight range on these. I've been looking at the Husky Brute, mainly because it advertises ball bearing screw as opposed to friction screw. I will be lifting the trailer tongue along with the back of my Toyota Tundra to connect my WD hitch, so I'm thinking maybe going to the 4,500# model. Anyway any input would be useful before I commit.
Kodiak Cub 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #157

Wisconsin
You could take your fully loaded rig to a commercial scale and get the rear axle of your tow vehicle weighed. That would tell you the maximum the jack would need to lift.

What kind of weight distribution hitch do you have? I have an Anderson. I used to jack the back of my tow vehicle off the ground to set it properly. Now I use the 1 1/4 inch adjustment nuts to do half of the work.

I jack up the tongue about 35 turns. Then I use a socket wrench to tighten the two adjustment nuts to about 6 turns from the end.

Also, if you are using the Anderson on a Kodiak Cub, there is a modification you need to do to the "A" frame brackets to keep from crushing the "A" frame box channel.

Let me know if you need the details.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:14 AM   #158

Colorado
Paul, Thanks for your feedback. I did look at the Anderson hitch based on your feedback, and it looks interesting, but I already invested in a Husky Centerline WD hitch and can't justify the change, at least for now. I'm going to go ahead and look to upgrade the tongue jack to an electric to hopefully make it easier to get the Husky bars lifted into place. Once it is all hooked up, this hitch does a great job of controlling the trailer and tow vehicle. Thanks again
Kodiak Cub 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #159

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob foley View Post
i bought a 40 watt solar panel, comes with everything you need at canadian tire, 40 watts is a bit small but im hoping it will prevent a discharge of my battery during the day
I see this old post has not been answered. Sorry about that.

40 watts is about 3 amps for 6 hours a day. That is 18 amp hours per day. It will not do much to charge a 60 amp hour battery. It could take three or four days while not drawing any power for appliances.

It may be good to keep an already charged battery during storage. Check voltages to be sure.
Holding at 13.3 volts is excellent.
Holding at 12.7 volts is the minimum needed.
Holding at 13.6 is high for AGM but good for flooded cell batteries.
Higher than 13.6 is too high for storage.

To be sure of what it will do, test it. Measure voltages. A digital voltmeter costs $10 - $15 at a hardware store.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:27 AM   #160

Colorado
Hot water bypass

I know we talked about this a bit earlier but...

Do any of you have a 2 valve scheme on your hot water tank? I keep seeing images/videos that have either one or three.

I’m dewinterizing and having. A complete brain fart on which way the valves go