Kodiak Cub Owners? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #21

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasys View Post
I was expecting the interior 110 outlets to work when I plugged into the shore line. Not getting any power. Am I missing something?
My 110 outlets work when plugged in to my house power. The ceiling AC works too. I use the included 30amp cord, a 30amp to 15amp dogbone, and then an extension cord. You should see a small blue light on the cover to the trailer's power plug-in port when it is getting power.

Corum999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:38 AM   #22

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP127 View Post
Who actually travels with a full fresh water tank in their Kodiak? I've been leery to do it myself.
Anyone???

JWP127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:06 AM   #23

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasys View Post
I was expecting the interior 110 outlets to work when I plugged into the shore line. Not getting any power. Am I missing something?

Check and see if a gfi is tripped somewhere in your trailer. Probably in the bathroom but could be anywhere.

Sorry I don’t have your trailer but this has happened in all 3 of the trailers I have owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2018, 04:12 AM   #24

Texas
Quote:
Who actually travels with a full fresh water tank in their Kodiak? I've been leery to do it myself.
No one?????
JWP127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #25

Massachusetts
Quote:
I travel with partial tank …. how embarrassing for something like a tow vehicle engine overheat and....you have no water to refill radiator to get you to the next stop ?? or water to flush if needed ??
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #26

Massachusetts
Quote:
a full tank is a lot of weight in our Kodiak Cub 175BH. Those 52 gallons would be 430 lbs. of the 1300 available carrying capacity I have. I have been traveling with just a bit of water and checking ahead for a clean water source close to our destination.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #27

Colorado
That was it. Thank you!
Oasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #28

Colorado
I haul my camper with a full load of water. It travels well.
Oasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #29

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Check and see if a gfi is tripped somewhere in your trailer. Probably in the bathroom but could be anywhere.

Sorry I don’t have your trailer but this has happened in all 3 of the trailers I have owned.
that was a great suggestion, I have been bit by that in my house. Took me a few days to figure out that a previous owner put a GFI plug behind the fridge!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #30

Ohio
Running AC

Any Cub owners heard to only run the AC while on 30 amp electric service? My dealership said don’t go down to 15amp house extension cord and try to run the AC as it will burn it up. Thoughts?
KCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #31

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corum999 View Post
This is how the dealer accessed our bypass as well, via the driver side pass through. It took them a bit to figure it out. I think I will add a small door to that panel this summer.
I made a small hinged access panel. Works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAA74A51-7062-4B62-B1CB-4BEF947D17E1.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	4769   Click image for larger version

Name:	30000C05-D7DB-404A-82E8-6D12222356A1.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	4770  
Old 06-14-2018, 03:02 AM   #32

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCOC View Post
Any Cub owners heard to only run the AC while on 30 amp electric service? My dealership said don’t go down to 15amp house extension cord and try to run the AC as it will burn it up. Thoughts?
I am able to run my AC plugged into my house, using this approach:
  1. I am using a dedicated 20amp circuit we ran to a regular 15amp style outlet in my garage
  2. I am using a short 12 gauge extension cord mated to my 30amp RV cord via a dogbone.
  3. I let the battery charge for a while first before I start the AC, so its not trying to charge while cooling. That converter can draw a lot of power.
  4. I don't run anything else other than lights or the radio when the AC is running. I have heard that the fridge should be fine but haven't tested that for any duration yet.

I have been keeping an eye on the plug temps to see if anything is heating up and no issues so far.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #33

Ohio
Quote:
I am able to run my AC plugged into my house, using this approach:
  1. I am using a dedicated 20amp circuit we ran to a regular 15amp style outlet in my garage
  2. I am using a short 12 gauge extension cord mated to my 30amp RV cord via a dogbone.
  3. I let the battery charge for a while first before I start the AC, so its not trying to charge while cooling. That converter can draw a lot of power.
  4. I don't run anything else other than lights or the radio when the AC is running. I have heard that the fridge should be fine but haven't tested that for any duration yet.

I have been keeping an eye on the plug temps to see if anything is heating up and no issues so far.
Thank you, Corum999! Do you have any concerns with that setup damaging the AC over time?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #34

Ohio
Managing humidity

Hi all! We took our Cub out a few weeks back and it was very hot/humid for the 3 days we were camping. We ran our AC one of the days/nights. We woke up to a very humid camper (TT). Water on the inside of windows, damp pillow/sheets, etc. and it didn’t feel all that cold inside.

Anyone else experience high humidity when running the AC? What did you do to resolve it? I am now running a small dehumidifier while plugged into shore power when we aren’t using the camper but it’s still fairly humid in the camper. I don’t want a mold problem so trying to get on top of this ASAP.

Thanks all!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #35

Massachusetts
Quote:
Thank you, Corum999! Do you have any concerns with that setup damaging the AC over time?
I have an update on running the AC while plugged in at home. We ran the AC almost continuous for 4 days recently on a visit with family outside of Chicago while plugged into an outlet on their front porch. The temps were in the 90's and high humidity. I used the cub's 30 amp main cord, connected to a 30' 30 amp extension cord, plugged into my Surge Guard 34930 and then a 30 amp to 15 amp dogbone. No connections got hot, AC ran without a hitch, and the most draw I saw the Surge Guard measure was ~12 amps. This is what I am seeing at my house as well.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #36

Massachusetts
Quote:
Hi all! We took our Cub out a few weeks back and it was very hot/humid for the 3 days we were camping. We ran our AC one of the days/nights. We woke up to a very humid camper (TT). Water on the inside of windows, damp pillow/sheets, etc. and it didn’t feel all that cold inside.

Anyone else experience high humidity when running the AC? What did you do to resolve it? I am now running a small dehumidifier while plugged into shore power when we aren’t using the camper but it’s still fairly humid in the camper. I don’t want a mold problem so trying to get on top of this ASAP.

Thanks all!
Yikes, that doesn't match what we see when running the AC. We didn't see any problem with inside humidity running it 24/7 during the hot & humid days around the 4th of July. We usually ran with the fan on low and temp close to coldest. This would trigger the compressor to come on frequently enough to cool and dry the trailer nicely.

The only thing we noticed was that there is a bit of water coming into the unit during some heavy rains when the AC is running. It drips just a bit. I am not seeing this happen during rain if the AC isn't running.

Its not too bad so if I can't diagnose it myself I'll have the dealer take a look on my next visit.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:28 AM   #37

Ohio
Quote:
Yikes, that doesn't match what we see when running the AC. We didn't see any problem with inside humidity running it 24/7 during the hot & humid days around the 4th of July. We usually ran with the fan on low and temp close to coldest. This would trigger the compressor to come on frequently enough to cool and dry the trailer nicely.

The only thing we noticed was that there is a bit of water coming into the unit during some heavy rains when the AC is running. It drips just a bit. I am not seeing this happen during rain if the AC isn't running.

Its not too bad so if I can't diagnose it myself I'll have the dealer take a look on my next visit.
Good to hear that it should work! I wonder if ours might have a clogged AC drain so the moisture stayed in the camper. I’ll need to pay closer attention next time.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:35 AM   #38

Ohio
Quote:
I have an update on running the AC while plugged in at home. We ran the AC almost continuous for 4 days recently on a visit with family outside of Chicago while plugged into an outlet on their front porch. The temps were in the 90's and high humidity. I used the cub's 30 amp main cord, connected to a 30' 30 amp extension cord, plugged into my Surge Guard 34930 and then a 30 amp to 15 amp dogbone. No connections got hot, AC ran without a hitch, and the most draw I saw the Surge Guard measure was ~12 amps. This is what I am seeing at my house as well.
Well that sounds like success. I’ve asked my dealership twice about running AC on 15amps and they say don’t do it as it will burn up the AC, but your set up sounds like it’s not causing any damage. Thank you for the update.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #39
Site Team

North Carolina
As long as you have the smaller 13.5k btu AC unit, turn off all other high draw items, AND use proper gauge cords you should be okay on a 15 amp circuit. Done it for years when that was all I had available. If you try to run the entire trailer off of a 15 amp branch, then you will have problems and possibly risk burning something up.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #40

Washington
Black tank flush

Hey cub owners - have had a 2018 175BH for about 5 months now - flushed everything out the past 2 trips and after each time it still shows the tank is 3/4 fill - previous trips and Flushes have shown “E” after.
Ideas?
By the way - this is really a great trailer!
Thank you
Tom

TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote