Kodiak Bumper Grill - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2016, 04:48 AM   #1

Alberta
Kodiak Bumper Grill

We just picked up our new Kodiak 240bhs and am wondering if we got the correct grill. The unit came with the swing out bumper attachment & shelf and a coleman grill that is not LP.

I have searched the internet but cannot find a picture of what grill comes in the ultimate package from Dutchman. Before I call my dealer I would like to get an idea if what I got is correct or did they switch the grill on me for some reason? It seems odd to me I would get a grill that does not connect to the LP quick connection on the trailer . Appreciate any help from owners.

We love our new trailer although the PDI missed a broken furnace, an incorrectly wired dvd, a water leak at the hot water tank and the dealer is unsure how to deal with damage to the countertop. Pretty disappointing stuff from the dealer

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Britserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

Illinois
Congratulations on the purchase! Now you can see why that PDI is so important. I'm sure the dealer would have found a solution to the counter top if he didn't have your check. As far as the grill, they change accessories all the time, so it's hard to figure out what comes with what package. You may try reaching out to another dealer or contacting Dutchmen for a brochure. Good luck.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britserker View Post
We just picked up our new Kodiak 240bhs and am wondering if we got the correct grill. The unit came with the swing out bumper attachment & shelf and a coleman grill that is not LP.

I have searched the internet but cannot find a picture of what grill comes in the ultimate package from Dutchman. Before I call my dealer I would like to get an idea if what I got is correct or did they switch the grill on me for some reason? It seems odd to me I would get a grill that does not connect to the LP quick connection on the trailer . Appreciate any help from owners.

We love our new trailer although the PDI missed a broken furnace, an incorrectly wired dvd, a water leak at the hot water tank and the dealer is unsure how to deal with damage to the countertop. Pretty disappointing stuff from the dealer

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Welcome to the forum, neighbour.

It does seem strange that you didn't get an LP BBQ, when you have a quick connect. However the manufacturers very often change things up without notice.

I doubt that the camper saw a tech doing a PDI, before delivery. I hope that you got the damaged countertop documented. I don't know why it would be a problem, he can replace it.

Unfortunately once you take delivery of your camper, the dealer has no incentive to expidite any repairs. You'll be getting the never ending list of excuses now, "we have to get approval from Dutchmen", "parts will take six weeks", etc, etc, etc. Dealers prioritize their shop work, 1- new unit sales, 2- paying customers, 3- their VIPs and finally 4- warranty work.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 AM   #4

Colorado
Grill

Hi, we have a 2015 Kodiak 240BHSL and it came with a swing out LP grill which goes in the quick connector. I will say though this grill is pretty much junk. I have to literally almost double the cook times in good conditions and in any sort of wind it's a nightmare to keep lit. I actually drape a towel over it in the wind to keep the heat in and the flame lit. Maybe they got a lot of complaints and changed it out?
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
Hi, we have a 2015 Kodiak 240BHSL and it came with a swing out LP grill which goes in the quick connector. I will say though this grill is pretty much junk. I have to literally almost double the cook times in good conditions and in any sort of wind it's a nightmare to keep lit. I actually drape a towel over it in the wind to keep the heat in and the flame lit. Maybe they got a lot of complaints and changed it out?
Sounds like your LP line may not have enough flow to produce the cooking temperature you need. Another problem could be the air shutter on the BBQ needs to be adjusted.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
Check and see what the BTU output of the grill is, a lot of inexpensive grills just don't have the necessary thermal put through to cook. FWIW My Weber Q has 12,000 BTU's of burner power, my big Genesis has 38,000. I have seen no name small grills with burners rated from 3,000-5,000. They struggle to cook a hot dog.

And as pointed out it could be a flame adjustment issue, possibly an LP flow issue. It should burn with a clear blue flame.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #7

North Carolina
Solved?

Did you ever get this solved? I have a similar situation. I just bought a 2016 291resl and there was a grill in a box under the bed. There was no bracket on the back, but I read online that the bracket is in the box. I opened the box to find a Coleman that does not look like it can plug into the quick connect on the camper, and it does not look like there is a bracket in the box either. I have searched all over the internet to see if I can find a picture of someone's grill, but no luck. I don't know if I have the correct grill without the bracket, or if everything is just messed up. On the positive side it looks like a decent little grill with a side burner!
captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #8

Tennessee
My bumper mount grill

This is the grill that came with our 2013 221RBSL. It does connect to the LP port at the back corner. The carry bag it came in is pretty much crap, but the grill itself seems to do a decent job. We're on our fourth season. There have been a couple of times that it was breezy enough that I found it necessary to create a windbreak to keep the flame from blowing out, but usually it isn't a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper Mount Grill.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	3422  

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
This is the grill that came with our 2013 221RBSL. It does connect to the LP port at the back corner. The carry bag it came in is pretty much crap, but the grill itself seems to do a decent job. We're on our fourth season. There have been a couple of times that it was breezy enough that I found it necessary to create a windbreak to keep the flame from blowing out, but usually it isn't a problem.
Thanks for the picture! This is what my grill looks like. I don't even know how it would attach to the back of the camper!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000020929_Alt1.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	3424  
Old 07-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
Thanks for the picture! This is what my grill looks like. I don't even know how it would attach to the back of the camper!
I suppose you could build a shelf for it...

I have an older version of that stove and it is still chugging along. We are going to get a Weber Q one of these days to add to the collection. Currently own 4 other Weber grills, one LP and 3 charcoal.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
There is a swing-out arm that is attached to the rear bumper tube. Then there is a frame which engages to a rail on that mount. Finally, the grill simply rests in the frame. Next visit to the camper, I'll try to provide more definitive pictures of the components for all (unfortunately, the picture I posted was about the chicken rather than the grill ).

Old 07-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
(unfortunately, the picture I posted was about the chicken rather than the grill ).
Which of course, raises the age old question, which came first, the chicken or the grill?

Sorry had to ask....... LOL
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

Tennessee
Grill shelf

Quote:
Something like this might work for you if your grill isn't too big for it. Note that the table and swing arm are purchased separately.

Fleming Sales - Bumper Arm Grill Table - 63432 - Explosive Powersports

Old 07-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #14

North Carolina
Does anyone know where to get a lp hose to go from the quick connect on the back of the TT to the grill. The grill has a little arm that screws into the side and then you screw in a green tank.