Kodiak 255BHSL - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
We are seriously considering that. Just trying to find the appropriate sofa or chairs.

Have fun!
La-Z-Boy is having a sale!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #12

Alabama
I thank you all for your superb input! That checklist will come in real handy, thanks for providing.

18 and Hart, I thank you both for your thoughtful responses. You have both confirmed my thoughts/feelings. We have a 10, 7, and 5 yo and we had them climb all over this RV with us inside and realized that the bunks would suffice for now, but would likely get a little tight in a few years. I also considered cutting out some of the paneling below the bottom bunk and add a small mattress for the youngest (I know I won't have the full length, but he still comfortably fits the existing flat space). Use this as a potential backup plan in the event the jack-knife sofa didn't work out.

Hart, you're U-Shaped dinette comment cracked me up because we discovered the same thing! The 5 and 7 yo fit the back side, but none of the rest of us ... not even close! Was good they leave that as convertible as it was simply too tight.

We are looking at a new 2018 model and I plan to have an electric hitch, slide topper, and backup camera installed. My only immediate concern from reviewing it is rusted hardware and piping on the outside (I know it is iron and will corrode if not properly treated, but still). Some of the wood paneling was coming off as someone mentioned in another thread, but nothing major. The bed is simply ineffective. But overall, seemed to fit our needs (for a few years anyways).

Thanks again for your input, it has been insightful. I suppose it's time to pull the trigger!

Aumegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
La-Z-Boy is having a sale!

Yaba Daba DOOOOO!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #14

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumegrad View Post
I thank you all for your superb input! That checklist will come in real handy, thanks for providing.

18 and Hart, I thank you both for your thoughtful responses. You have both confirmed my thoughts/feelings. We have a 10, 7, and 5 yo and we had them climb all over this RV with us inside and realized that the bunks would suffice for now, but would likely get a little tight in a few years. I also considered cutting out some of the paneling below the bottom bunk and add a small mattress for the youngest (I know I won't have the full length, but he still comfortably fits the existing flat space). Use this as a potential backup plan in the event the jack-knife sofa didn't work out.

Hart, you're U-Shaped dinette comment cracked me up because we discovered the same thing! The 5 and 7 yo fit the back side, but none of the rest of us ... not even close! Was good they leave that as convertible as it was simply too tight.

We are looking at a new 2018 model and I plan to have an electric hitch, slide topper, and backup camera installed. My only immediate concern from reviewing it is rusted hardware and piping on the outside (I know it is iron and will corrode if not properly treated, but still). Some of the wood paneling was coming off as someone mentioned in another thread, but nothing major. The bed is simply ineffective. But overall, seemed to fit our needs (for a few years anyways).

Thanks again for your input, it has been insightful. I suppose it's time to pull the trigger!
All factory RV beds are "ineffective". You could easily switch it out or add a mattress topper that would improve things. Unless you're living in it fulltime, a topper is good enough for us.

I know I didn't send you a list of things we LIKED. But the walk-around bed is one of them. So many TTs of this length do not allow you to walk around the foot of the bed. Just little things like that make it nice. I tried to find a better ladder, but never could. I DO agree and wish that the storage area under the bunks had a panel to the main part of the coach. We did not install a power hitch but I never have even desired one. Not a big deal for me.

I love that all the hookups are in one place. I love the large pass-through storage that is not encumbered by a water tank or something. I switched out all of the 751 keys ($10 each).

Again, we've enjoyed ours. We were mostly at hookups last year and are hitting the dry camping/boondocking thing harder this season. Wish us luck!
Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #15

Alabama
I again appreciate the info. I locked in my 255BHSL and will pick it up next Friday. We are excited to begin this new journey and anxious to see where it takes us!

And thanks again for the checklists MJ, they will be used!

Also, good luck on your boondocking!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:50 AM   #16

Texas
We have a 2018 285BHSL. Not the exact trailer, but close. The couch is NOT comfortable. We bought 2 small collapsible ottomans to put our feet up on; it helps. I sit sideways in the booth dinette, with my feet up and my back up against the wall. My butt falls asleep pretty quick. I wish the bed had struts when you try to get under it. I keep toothpicks and wood glue handy, because screws keep backing out. Make sure you check the lap sealant and silicone sealant during PDI, and a few months later.
JWP127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
I again appreciate the info. I locked in my 255BHSL and will pick it up next Friday. We are excited to begin this new journey and anxious to see where it takes us!

And thanks again for the checklists MJ, they will be used!

Also, good luck on your boondocking!

Any updates? Pictures? Feed back??

Hope all is well.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #18

Alabama
Well, I picked it up 3/20 with my F150 and had no issues bringing it home. However, after taking it by the scales, considering various things, and coming across a great deal on an F250 (getting more for my f150 than I paid), I decided to upgrade. That said, we are actually setting out on our first trip tomorrow for the weekend. Wish me luck! I will provide some feedback once complete.

I will try to post a link if I Can figure out how
Old 07-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #19

South Carolina
Quote:
Well, I picked it up 3/20 with my F150 and had no issues bringing it home. However, after taking it by the scales, considering various things, and coming across a great deal on an F250 (getting more for my f150 than I paid), I decided to upgrade. That said, we are actually setting out on our first trip tomorrow for the weekend. Wish me luck! I will provide some feedback once complete.

I will try to post a link if I Can figure out how
Outstanding!

Have fun on your first trip!

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
255bhsl kodiak