Kodiak 242RESL with Mercedes GL450 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Kodiak 242RESL with Mercedes GL450

[attachment=0:1nw7n1rt]GL with K242.jpg[/attachment:1nw7n1rt]
Hitch is the Andersen 'No-Sway' weight distribution hitch.
Purchased new Aug.2012 at UnitedRV in Ft. Worth Texas.
Mods include duplicating the large lounge cushion to enable more sleeping capacity on the dinnette booth

Impressions so far.....Excellent!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GL with K242.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	94  

hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #2

Wyoming
Re: Kodiak 242RESL with Mercedes GL450

Very nice, quite similar to my Komfort Resort 240RK.
I have a rear kitchen. You'll get lots of comments on the colour. We love ours as well.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #3

California

Very nice set up!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #4

Very nice setup. How do you like the Anderson Hitch. My neighbour has one on his Race car trailer and says its really good.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #5

The Anderson works well and solved my major issue with finding the right travel trailer for us. Though the GL450 has a 7500 pound towing capacity and sufficent capacity for GVWR, the factory ORIS German hitch has a maximum hitch weight limit of 600 pounds. Most all the travel trailers we looked at, in the rear entertainment or rear living style had dry hitch weights that were too high. The Kodiak 242RESL and a comparable Rockwood/Surveyor/Flagstaff also had low hitch weights. However, I knew we needed a Weight Distribution Hitch and the weight of some portions of the WDH get added to the Tongue Weight. The Equal-i-zer brings about 120 pounds to the equation. With the Anderson, the Receiver, Ball and Tension plate only weigh 29 pounds. The standard Mercedes hitch/ball weighs 12 pounds, meaning I only needed to accomodate 17 pounds within my 600 pound limit. The other Anderson parts of their WDH are the Chains, Nuts and Compressors that collectively weigh only 7 pounds. These items also have to be accomodated in the 600 pound max. So for me, the Anderson only took 24 pounds off the 600, leaving 576 free for the Trailer. The Kodiak 242RESL has a dry hitch of 452. The gap between 452 and 576 is sufficient to allow for my 'Stuff' in the bear cave storage. Since getting the new trailer and hitch, I have done multiple weighs at a local CAT scale both on the way out and way back from camping. I am on the money and the most I weighed as Tongue Weight has been exactly 600 pounds. Of course, with WD engaged, the scales see less on the Tongue (usuall I see 480) that's why I usually do my first weighing with WD engaged and then a second pass with it disengaged. As for Sway control, I haven't hit any bad days so, so far it's been great.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote