KODIAK 221RBSL - Tongue Weight - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

Alberta
KODIAK 221RBSL - Tongue Weight

Hello

I would like to know what everyone else with a 221RBSL is seeing for tongue weight, and what they are using for WD Hitch.

I know that the spec sheet and real life don't match.

I purchased a Blue Ox Sway Pro 750# but am starting to think I did not choose the correct size for it.

I know that the load of the trailer will effect the TW but I'd love to hear what you trailer weight and TW are.

The spec for the trailer has:

TW of 550 lbs
Unloaded of 4575 lbs
Cargo of 1425 lbs

I have not taken delivery but my unit has

TW of ???
Unloaded of 4740 lbs
Cargo of 1260

Does anyone else with a 221RBSL care to share weights on their units.

Cheers

MrCdnVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

Tennessee
Tongue Weight

I think you'll be fine. I got the Pro Series 10,000# GTW, 750#TW. Last year, we pulled it about 8,000 miles and I was quite satisfied. The dealer installed and adjusted it for me and showed me how to hook and unhook. Thanks to the power tongue jack, it's a piece of cake. I confess I have not actually weighed the tongue, but it sets level when hooked up and seems neither too stiff nor too soft under way.
Safe travels!

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #3

Alberta
So now that I have gotten the trailer loaded and set up all I can say is the 550# TW they use is out to lunch.

First off 550# TW is at best 10% of the trailer loaded to 5500#, and every where I have read suggests 10%-15%. (Trailer GVW is 6000#, dry I was 4774# which of course did not include propane tanks and batteries.)

Second I have tried every thing under the sun and many hours re-arranging gear to balance the trailer (with and without fresh water) and the best tongue weight I can get is 780# with the trailer at 5500# (inc HWT 6 gal full but no other H2O).

This is with a single 12v and 2 20# propane tanks. As purchased with 2 6v batteries and 2 30# propane tanks I was at 870#.

Water in the fresh tank makes almost to difference to the TW, and only effects the overall trailer weight. Grey and black did seem to have effect but since you never leave home with them full, and in my case I dump before I leave the camp ground it is not practical to use any grey or black weight to try and reduce TW.
MrCdnVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #4

Tennessee
Not quite sure whether you ended up satisfied or not, but thanks for your diligence. It would appear my tongue weight is probably a bit higher than I would have guessed (based on handling). The good news is, if I do have to run a ways without dumping, I probably still won't be tail-heavy . Seriously, we pull at around 60mph most of the time (occasionally 65) and have been satisfied with the handling. Your 750# rating may be on the light side (you would know better than I), but I have to say our 1,000# WDH seems to do well. Keep us posted.

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCdnVegas View Post
So now that I have gotten the trailer loaded and set up all I can say is the 550# TW they use is out to lunch.

First off 550# TW is at best 10% of the trailer loaded to 5500#, and every where I have read suggests 10%-15%. (Trailer GVW is 6000#, dry I was 4774# which of course did not include propane tanks and batteries.)

Second I have tried every thing under the sun and many hours re-arranging gear to balance the trailer (with and without fresh water) and the best tongue weight I can get is 780# with the trailer at 5500# (inc HWT 6 gal full but no other H2O).

This is with a single 12v and 2 20# propane tanks. As purchased with 2 6v batteries and 2 30# propane tanks I was at 870#.

Water in the fresh tank makes almost to difference to the TW, and only effects the overall trailer weight. Grey and black did seem to have effect but since you never leave home with them full, and in my case I dump before I leave the camp ground it is not practical to use any grey or black weight to try and reduce TW.
Have you run your rig over the scales to see how well your TV is balanced? Scale your TV loaded as you would for a trip, passengers, dogs, etc. check how the weight is distributed front to rear. Now hook up the camper loaded for a trip and scale it and adjust for that same weight distribution ratio. IF you can't achieve that same ratio, then you may need the heavier spring bar.

The most important thing is to maintain a good balance in the distribution of the weight front to rear on the TV.

To heavy a spring bar or a spring bar that is cinched up tight will make your ride feel every expansion crack or bump through the seat of your pants.

What you want to achieve is a reponsive steering that doesn't give you any wander and confident feel to the braking.

I tow a 10500# trailer with a Hensley and 750# spring bars, i stopped in at Hensleys office last year because I thought I should have the 1000# spring bars. One of the guys came out to have a look at my rig and showed the the correct adjustment of my spring bars. I tried his set up and found that I had a better ride with steering that responded the way it should. What I did learn was I screwed up the measurement when I went from the Airstream to the Dutchmen and I needed a different draw bar to level out the trailer. Hensley just exchanged my draw bar at no charge and we had a great ride since.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Hello

I would like to know what everyone else with a 221RBSL is seeing for tongue weight, and what they are using for WD Hitch.

I purchased a Blue Ox Sway Pro 750# but am starting to think I did not choose the correct size for it.

I know that the load of the trailer will effect the TW but I'd love to hear what you trailer weight and TW are.

TW of 550 lbs
Unloaded of 4575 lbs
Cargo of 1425 lbs

TW of ???
Unloaded of 4740 lbs
Cargo of 1260

Cheers
We purchased our TT 2 weeks ago and the empty weight is about the same at 4650#, so after a little research I ordered this Pro Series WD hitch, ( Pro Series Weight Distribution System w/ Friction Sway Control - Round - 10,000 lbs GTW, 750 lbs TW Pro Series Weight Distribution PS49902 ), with a TW 550# - 750#, and it handles great. We already used it two times towing it over 300 miles the last trip across the state and the ride is really good and the trailer sets good hooked up. I haven't even hooked up the anti sway control yet and I'm not sure I will. I haven't really traveled on the interstate that much so I'll wait to make that decision. I ran about 55mph on the two lane roads last week-end. I haven't weighed the trailer yet either but plan to before the next outing.

Bob & Hanna
2014 Aspen Trail 2060RBS/2010 F-150 5.4L
Port Saint Lucie, FL
BobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

Florida
TT weights

Quote:
Hello

TW of 550 lbs
Unloaded of 4575 lbs
Cargo of 1425 lbs

TW of ???
Unloaded of 4740 lbs
Cargo of 1260

Cheers

Hey there!
this is probably too late or after the fact, but I went to the scales and weighed my TT (2060RBS Aspen Trail), and came up with this:

Truck only: =5380#
Truck with trailer on w/d hitch =6380 #
TT only, loaded (no water): =5500#
TT with w/d hitch to truck =4500#
Weight transferred to truck =1000#
Tong weight(1/2 of weight trnsfr):= 500 #
Combined weight: F-150 & TT =10880#

The trailer tows great and the w/d hitch mentioned earlier works great as well.
Hope this helps.

Bob

Bob & Hanna
2014 Aspen Trail 2060RBS/2010 F-150 5.4L
Port Saint Lucie, FL
BobR is offline   Reply With Quote