King Size bed - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

Michigan
King Size bed

Anyone with an Aerolite or any King size bed for that matter that has installed Bed Lift kits? I ordered BLK HVY due to it being a King size bed, but because the platform that is able to be lifted is rounded can not find a way to mount the shocks. Any suggestions? I have contacted the manufacturer, but it seems like they are a recent graduate, as I explained exactly what I have in terms of a bed and what I ordered and their first question back is what did you order? Frustrating, and just would like a simple solution. I keep having interference issues where the top shock mounts, as it hits the front part of the platform.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefboggum View Post
Anyone with an Aerolite or any King size bed for that matter that has installed Bed Lift kits? I ordered BLK HVY due to it being a King size bed, but because the platform that is able to be lifted is rounded can not find a way to mount the shocks. Any suggestions? I have contacted the manufacturer, but it seems like they are a recent graduate, as I explained exactly what I have in terms of a bed and what I ordered and their first question back is what did you order? Frustrating, and just would like a simple solution. I keep having interference issues where the top shock mounts, as it hits the front part of the platform.
Got a picture of where you are trying to mount the shocks? I am not familiar with your particular unit. I have installed shocks on several queen sized beds with rounded corners. Not quite sure what the problem is.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #3

Michigan
I will try to get some pictures for you, as I am sure that might also help out the manufacturer. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Michigan
Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Michigan
Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
What is the dimension from the front edge of the compartment to the back area where the hinge is? I think you may need the short strut set.

Here is a link to the thread where I installed them on my Coleman 16FBS. I started out with the heavier struts for a regular Queen bed, then took them back for the smaller ones because of the compartment size.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #7

British Columbia
Looks like you replaced the MDF platform, with plywood. If that's the case that into account the differance in weight. When we went to the long queen, I replaced the MDF and used the original struts.

The result would have been hilarious, if it would have happened to somebody else.

I pushed the platform down, flopped the matteress on the platform, release pressure holding down platform.

Head of mattress flies in to air, hear metal hitting glass, plywood lands on top of bare feet. I learned some real interesting new words. After my eyes stopped watering, I could see hinges, and screws on the floor, in the mirror track.

I made the mistake of using the 'RV' hardware. The original struts were way too much for the plywood and the hinges looked like squashed tin cans.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Looks like you replaced the MDF platform, with plywood. If that's the case that into account the differance in weight. When we went to the long queen, I replaced the MDF and used the original struts.

The result would have been hilarious, if it would have happened to somebody else.

I pushed the platform down, flopped the matteress on the platform, release pressure holding down platform.

Head of mattress flies in to air, hear metal hitting glass, plywood lands on top of bare feet. I learned some real interesting new words. After my eyes stopped watering, I could see hinges, and screws on the floor, in the mirror track.

I made the mistake of using the 'RV' hardware. The original struts were way too much for the plywood and the hinges looked like squashed tin cans.
Ok, I didn't mean to laugh, but then I read further... Sorry but that was funny! Only because similar things have happened to all of us
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:52 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Ok, I didn't mean to laugh, but then I read further... Sorry but that was funny! Only because similar things have happened to all of us
Oh, yes you did, you meant everyone of them belly laughs!

If you can't laugh at yourself, you got no sense of humor. Of course, it's always really funny when it happens to someone else.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #10

Maryland
If you put a new support bracket along the back edge of the storage compartment (from you picture attached at 05:03pm) you will be able to mount the lift kit about 12" in from the edges.

Or if you put the support bracket lower on the back edge of the storage, you should be able to have the upper portion of the list kit attached to the top portion of the bed back from the curved portion of the bed.

Sorry but my pictures may be crude, but I hope you understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift2.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	3300   Click image for larger version

Name:	lift1.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	3301  

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #11

Michigan
The manufacturer contacted me today and is going to send me a set of shocks that he thinks might work. The main issue is the curved platform, and lack of any supporting wooden structure to mount it. The plywood that you see pictured was an add in that I added thinking this would be the only way to get them installed. The gentleman also said that with me using the shorter shocks, it would not have enough throw, and would only allow the platform to be opened a few inches. When I measured it, my measurement was 14" from the pedestal to the front curve.

Thank you to everyone that replied back with ideas and suggestions, I am going to keep digging into this if the idea the manufacturer has does not work, he's supposed to be drawing something up with dimensions, etc.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
The manufacturer contacted me today and is going to send me a set of shocks that he thinks might work. The main issue is the curved platform, and lack of any supporting wooden structure to mount it. The plywood that you see pictured was an add in that I added thinking this would be the only way to get them installed. The gentleman also said that with me using the shorter shocks, it would not have enough throw, and would only allow the platform to be opened a few inches. When I measured it, my measurement was 14" from the pedestal to the front curve.

Thank you to everyone that replied back with ideas and suggestions, I am going to keep digging into this if the idea the manufacturer has does not work, he's supposed to be drawing something up with dimensions, etc.
Let us know how it turns out, that's what my bed looks like, i'm getting tired of balancing that plywood on my head when I need to get stuff out of there.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #13

Michigan
I was hoping that you already did this, knowing that you also had an Aerolite, as all of the King beds are similar. I'll let you know how it turns out, as it is difficult to retrieve items from the storage and attempt to balance the platform elevated at the same time. Just wish Dutchmen would have used a little more lumber in this area, as there really is not a lot of opportunities to reinforce anything that is already pre-existing!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
I was hoping that you already did this, knowing that you also had an Aerolite, as all of the King beds are similar. I'll let you know how it turns out, as it is difficult to retrieve items from the storage and attempt to balance the platform elevated at the same time. Just wish Dutchmen would have used a little more lumber in this area, as there really is not a lot of opportunities to reinforce anything that is already pre-existing!
Haha, if I wasn't so lazy I would have made access panels. I'm still wanting to do those under the dinette seats.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:18 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Sometimes you just have to looked beyond what Dutchmen did and make a work around.

Would a metal mounting point be something that could be worked into the existing frame work. Say a square tube with flanges welded to it, then screwed to the floor and the deck framing.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #16

Michigan
I'm sure something could be created, but that unfortunately is beyond my level of expertise. I'm still hoping that what they send me as a suggestion will work for me. I need it as the "KISS System" Keep it simple stupid!
Old 06-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #17

California
Does anybody know what is under the forward portion of the bed? My wife is short, and the height of the bed after putting a 4 inch topper on it to make it semi-comfortable has rendered it a pain in the butt for her to get into. I am considering an alteration to make the bed about 6-8" shorter.
WFD404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #18

Nevada
404, Most have storage, but which RV do you have, There should be someone on here, that has the same unit.....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #19

California
Oops...2017 Aerolite 282DBHS
WFD404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #20

Texas
Not that this helps in any way, but I am picking up my new Aerolite 213 on Thursday and it has the same exact curved storage\mattress support.

I think the FIRST thing I am doing is removing that whole thing. I just can't get it out of my head how many awesome things I could do with recovering that precious floor space for something other than the BIGGEST bed I ever saw in a small RV.

But if I change my mind, I will look forward to your solution. Good luck.

snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote