Ideas for keeping cargo in the storage locker in place while trekking? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #1

Arizona
Ideas for keeping cargo in the storage locker in place while trekking?

Hey, you old hands, please offer some suggestions about keeping cargo in place in the various storage spaces in my 2017 Aerolite 24' trailer as I begin my journey into trailer camping, and my many journeys over potentially bumpy roads, through curves, and for the many starts and stops involved.

We've been tossing in all the myriad items you all have very kindly put into lists of "gotta have" essentials, and not a few of the "nice to have" comfort and convenience items... But none of the storage spaces are full (yet), and none of them have any tie-down points or places to attach bungee cords, straps, rope, or anything, really. This stuff (tubs of smaller stuff plus chairs, grills, tables, etc is going to slide around a lot.

I did lay in 6-8 of those small "expanding bars with rubber tips" for the fridge and cupboards, and they will also work in our pantry areas. They're cheap on Amazon, and they appear to be useful and functional for fridge items and shelves, but only for lightweight goods, foods and utensils, etc. But they are way too small to reach wall to wall in the larger spaces, and not nearly strong enough (in the spring or tightening department) to work for the larger, heavier items.

My first thought was that this is rather silly... they could easily have included some hooks, hoops, or tie-down points like all pickup beds have these days... or like all toy haulers have by definition. Not necessarily in the cupboards and pantry areas, but in the large storage space across the front under the big bed which most of us have... surely that big, wide, open space could have been so outfitted. But, alas, no. Even when you buy the "luxury" model, you get the absolute minimum of acceptability, over and over. This is one such example.

But then I realized that there are lots of ways to secure gear, from larger moveable friction-secured pipes (like shower curtain rods, but for cargo), to just packing everything tight - too tight to move, to <unspecified other ways>. And I thought, at least a dozen other people have had this issue (OK, four thousand dozen... sheesh), so maybe a few of you will reply with ideas I haven't considered.

My default would be to stop at Lowes, Ace, or Home Depot to grab some screw-on tie-down hoops and just go mad with the bungee cords. And it's still an option, but surely not the only one. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Frye? Fr...

Quote... "Give me ambivalence or give me something else."
BRawlingsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #2

Tennessee
I use 4 of these totes from Lowe's in the pass thru storage under the bed. My folding canopy is along the front wall and roadtrip grill along one side. Clean, organized and there is very little movement.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Centrex-Pla...ap-Lid/3551290

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk