Help. Slide out failure - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Florida
Help. Slide out failure

Hello All, we have a 28RLSS slide out failure will on the road home to Florida. Lazydays- Seffner, Fl replaced the slide mechanism in June of this year. (under warranty) we are staying in Bueno Vista, Va campground with no facilities.
Questions
Where is the electric slide mechanism on this model of Dutchman???
Can the mechanism be manually override???
How difficult is it for a non-mechanically inclined individual to do this fix???

Any suggestion and/or comments welcomed.

Thanks Norm & Mary stuck in Virgina

Norm-n-Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

Florida
this is probably the one (and only) time where your owner's manual will come in handy. it will tell you how to manually get your slide in. There will always be a manual handle or adapter that will get your slide in. It looks like your slide will need to be manually done from underneath with the hand crank. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Manual operation of the slide room
The room may be manually retracted or extended using a 5/8” wrench or socket. Locate the hexagonal shaft adjacent to the
slide motor which is located inside the RV at base of slide room. Using a 5/8” wrench turn the shaft clockwise to extend theroom and counterclockwise to retract the room.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #3

Florida
Manual Override
These systems include the ability to manually retract the room in the event of a mechanical failure. Please refer to
the manufacturer instructions supplied with the unit for detailed instruction on this feature. See video at
www.keystonerv.com for more information.
Hydraulically Operated Systems
System Operation
The HydraGear™ Slide-Out System uses a 12 Volt DC hydraulic pump which powers the double-acting hydraulic
cylinder to move the room(s). Electricity for the pump assembly is supplied by the RV battery. Normal operation is
performed by pressing the wall mounted slide-out switch to extend or retract the room.
Please refer to the manufacturer instructions supplied with the unit for care & operation of the system in your unit.
The pump is installed with Citgo AW-32 hydraulic oil and should not be changed without completely flushing the
system. In cold weather environments and additive can be used to reduce popping and “stiction” (see vendor
LIP
Sheet – 0295
on
www.lci1.com
for details). For the best performance, using the see-through reservoir, maintain the
fluid level within ½” of the top with the room(s) retracted (closed).
The system is designed so that the slide-room with the least resistance will extend/retract.
The Hydraulic pump is wired to an auto reset breaker that is typically within 18” of the RV battery. If overloaded,
this breaker will interrupt the operation of the slide-room temporarily which can be perceived as intermittent
operation. Causes for this to occur:
Low Battery
Loose or corroded battery terminal or ground wire
Slide-Room binding (unit not level, sticks/leaves or other wedged between the room and the wall)
Slide-Room/system out of adjustment
Something blocking extending/retracting the slide-room
Old 10-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks Franktafl, we are also from the Tampa area, our 16’ slide out consist of a double couch/sleeper and dinette you shape sitting. I have my owners manual but it doesn’t tell me where the electric slide motor is located.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Norm
Old 10-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm-n-Mary View Post
Thanks Franktafl, we are also from the Tampa area, our 16’ slide out consist of a double couch/sleeper and dinette you shape sitting. I have my owners manual but it doesn’t tell me where the electric slide motor is located.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Norm

the problem is that it uses two slide mechanisms. need to know which one you are using. Do you have cables or is the mechanism underneath?
Old 10-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

Florida
IF you have cables, the motor is inside the RV. You will need to take off the center portion of the trim inside the rv to see the motor mechanism. If you have the motor under the coach, the slide can be accessed from underneath the coach.. They should have given you a special wrench with a long handle that may fold up (probably about three to four feet long). it may be underneath the bed.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #7

California
does anyone know where manual override is for slides on 2011 Voltage 3900?
AllianceMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllianceMMA View Post
does anyone know where manual override is for slides on 2011 Voltage 3900?

Which type of slide is it?
Old 10-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Which type of slide is it?
Think it's the shwintec gear driven
AllianceMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #10

Florida
Hello. It’s a 16’ scwintek slide. Tech repair came out to campground. He replaced motor #2 and main control board (brain). He was there three hours and bill was $750. ���� Thankful it was covered by warranty but dang that seems expensive!!! Did we get snickered?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Hello. It’s a 16’ scwintek slide. Tech repair came out to campground. He replaced motor #2 and main control board (brain). He was there three hours and bill was $750. ���� Thankful it was covered by warranty but dang that seems expensive!!! Did we get snickered?
not if it was covered by warranty. Deductible is the same? Did he contact the warranty company before he fixed it? Did you have to pay then get reimbursed by the warranty company?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #12

Florida
Yes tech was very thorough and got it all approved by warranty. $100 deductible. Had to pay tech and get reimbursed by warranty. Thanks for assistance
Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Yes tech was very thorough and got it all approved by warranty. $100 deductible. Had to pay tech and get reimbursed by warranty. Thanks for assistance
SOunds like you're golden!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #14

Illinois
Last week when I went into the dealer, labor rate was posted at $149 per hour (that would include the $13 an hour trainee/tech who strips out screws and can't wire nut two wires together.
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #15

Oklahoma
Warranty

Quote:
You are good... My one and only warranty claim at the originating dealer ended up costing me for parts, the dealer used their own brand of parts when the warranty stated to use camperland parts... dealer soaked me for over 250 in excess charges on top of the 100 deductible... I am never going back to Bob Hurley in TULSA, OK again... for anything - cars, trucks, or RV's
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:32 AM   #16

California
Voltage 3200 slide out malfunction

Does anyone know where the manual override is for the living room and bedroom slides. We have experienced a severe popping noise when being opened. The popping noise was NOT present when slides were brought in. Rig was level. Checked and added hydrolic fluid, but that did not fix the problem. Thanks much.
RJTINSLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:02 AM   #17

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTINSLT View Post
Does anyone know where the manual override is for the living room and bedroom slides. We have experienced a severe popping noise when being opened. The popping noise was NOT present when slides were brought in. Rig was level. Checked and added hydrolic fluid, but that did not fix the problem. Thanks much.
Help us help you: what year is your rig, and what type of slideout system do you have? Without knowing what type system, we can’t tell you where the Override switch is.

That said, on my 2013 Voltage 3200, it’s a Schwintek system… and here’s a link for the procedure on it:

I had those same popping sounds on mine a few years ago… and if it’s the same thing, you’re not going to like what I have to tell you.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:22 AM   #18

California
Ours is a 2015 with a cable system slide-out
RJTINSLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 03:52 PM   #19

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTINSLT View Post
Ours is a 2015 with a cable system slide-out
Ok, someone else will have to jump in to help out, because I know very little about them. Good luck!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:18 PM   #20

Florida
A cable system will have a motor at the top of your slide, inside. Take the molding off to get to it. Your slide mechanism will have a drill bit on a spring to attach to a drill to get the slide in and out.