Furnace fan running unexpectedly - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2016, 04:19 AM   #1

Arizona
Furnace fan running unexpectedly

We have a 2016 Dutchman Aerolite 282DBHS and love it so far. We have had it out almost a half dozen times since we purchased it in August. Yesterday I picked it up from the storage facility to get it ready for our next trip and the batteries were absolutely dead. In my infinite wisdom I forgot to open the battery disconnect the last time I dropped it off. Any way, when I got it home and plugged it in the furnace fan started running. The thermostat is off and the fan should not be running. Is this a result of the batteries being low so the whole system is out of whack? Today I took the trailer out to our spot and as I was setting up I noticed the furnace fan was running again. I double checked the thermostat and again, everything was off. I cycled the t-stat through to get to the off position and the fan finally stopped running. This is a new occurrence for us. I ask again, is this a result of the batteries being dead and working to come back up? I had charged them over night so I assumed they would be good when leaving today but the fan still ran so now I am at a loss. Any commentary would be greatly appreciated.

J4

2016 Dutchmen Aerolite 282DBHS
2015 Ford F250 Diesel SRW
jcs1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #2

California
You are referring to a "thermostat" Does it also turn the unit "off". For long term storage you definitely want to disconnect the batteries but while in use, if there is not propane available and the "thermostat" is set to the lowest possible position, i.e. 60ish....It will try and heat up to 60 degrees until it drains the batteries. Find the "OFF" switch!

Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:37 AM   #3

Arizona
Thanks Rob C.
The thermostat was off. It's an electronic t-stat that has controls for fan (on/off/auto), AC, and heat. After that it simply goes to on/off. I was off when all of this occurred. The t-stat can turn everything off when in the off setting.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #4

Washington
I would carefully read the manual as ours has a minimum set point that can be programed, I set ours to 35 degrees. So when the thermostat is on, it will run whatever temp you have set. However when the thermostat is set to off, it wont do anything until it gets down to 35 degrees then it will active to keep the trailer from freezing. Not saying this is what you have going on, just throwing it out there.
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #5

Missouri
With power on the unit. Cycle you T-stat fan setting from ON, Auto. Just make sure its in the auto position. I bet this fixes you problem

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #6

Arizona
I was just thinking about this. Furnaces usually have an overheat sensor inside that will run the fan until the furnace cools down enough for the sensor to shut off. Maybe you have a bad overtemp sensor in the furnace.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:18 AM   #7

California
Occupant 5143 has an interesting hypothesis! To take this one step further and this kind of thing is so common on these units depending on if they were assembled during the week or on a Monday (hangover) morning! Make sure all of the wires are connected to the HVAC unit! The switch he is talking about is likely triggered by an "open" circuit. If the wires are disconnected, the circuit can never close!!!
FYI, the central vacuum unit in my rig never had the hose connected to the floor sweep panel! **** happens on Monday morning and Friday afternoon!!
Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #8

Arizona
Oops, I have to rethink the overtemp switch theory. I was thinking about the time delay relay which is what keeps the fan running for a couple of minutes after the thermostat has switched off the signal to the furnace. Could be stuck in the on position.
Here's a document that describes exactly how the furnace responds to the thermostat. Makes for interesting reading.
http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf
Old 03-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

Arizona
Thanks all. I will dig into it deeper today and will let you know if anything works. I cycled the t-stat like EricNSTL recommended when I dropped it off on Monday. I'll see if it's still operating correctly when I get back to it this afternoon.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #10

British Columbia
Double check that you have the fan switch set to Off or Auto? If the T-stat fan switch is set to the On position, the fan will run continuously even if the stat is not calling for heat.

Committ the Lock-out reset proceedure to memory, you will need, your furnace will go into Lock-out at the most inopportune times.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Mine did this on our first trip out. No matter what I tried the electric hot water heater wouldn't work, but the propane ran fine. Had all sorts of little bugs with the AC. We would turn the heater on, the AC blower motor would come on. Everything off and it would cycle power to the heater blower motor intermittently, ended up pulling the fuse while I wasn't there so it didn't burn something up. We never had this problem at home. Take it to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it. Since then I have finished wiring my 50amp plug at home and had it at a different campground and have never had the issue again. The dealer said it was probably a problem with a bad neutral at the camp site we were at. Most likely they are correct since its never happened again at a different spot. And a circuit analyzer is the next item on the list.
Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
Mine did this on our first trip out. No matter what I tried the electric hot water heater wouldn't work, but the propane ran fine. Had all sorts of little bugs with the AC. We would turn the heater on, the AC blower motor would come on. Everything off and it would cycle power to the heater blower motor intermittently, ended up pulling the fuse while I wasn't there so it didn't burn something up. We never had this problem at home. Take it to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it. Since then I have finished wiring my 50amp plug at home and had it at a different campground and have never had the issue again. The dealer said it was probably a problem with a bad neutral at the camp site we were at. Most likely they are correct since its never happened again at a different spot. And a circuit analyzer is the next item on the list.
Got to love those dealers, he just blew smoke up your butt. His explanation is not possible. The furnace runs off 12V only. The pedestal is 120V. The neutral at the pedestal has nothing to do with your furnace.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:23 AM   #13

New York
i have a 2016 282dbhs and have had similar experiences with the heating/cooling system. Sometimes when it is set to lo or hi, it shuts off intermittently as if its on auto. If i cycle through the thermostat options again, it stays on steady. Recently i cant tell the difference between hi and low A/C and i think i used to be able t, they both sound and feel the same, so i think hi or low isnt working. i also had the a/c and heat come on at the same time once. I wonder if there's a different thermostat i could buy and try.

brywatz is offline   Reply With Quote