floor feels SOFT near kitchen island - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Texas
floor feels SOFT near kitchen island

Hi all - we have a 2017 - 29RESL and it came back from the dealer about a month ago - having a new grey tank installed because it was leaking - we never were away of any water leaking to the inside - we have not used the RV during this time as it's just too hot in Texas for camping

However we are packing now to go on a LONG trip to the Grand Canyon - 900+ miles each way from central Texas and the floor feels SOFT between the dinette table and the kitchen island

it almost feels like wet plywood under there or maybe some kind of support beam is missing - it almost "gives" when you walk across it and this is the most used section of flooring in the whole RV

Should we continue on our trip? Would it be safe? What could this possibly be? We have made a LOT of reservations along the way but I don't want to get that far from home and have something go terribly bad - Thoughts?

TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMarci View Post
Hi all - we have a 2017 - 29RESL and it came back from the dealer about a month ago - having a new grey tank installed because it was leaking - we never were away of any water leaking to the inside - we have not used the RV during this time as it's just too hot in Texas for camping

However we are packing now to go on a LONG trip to the Grand Canyon - 900+ miles each way from central Texas and the floor feels SOFT between the dinette table and the kitchen island

it almost feels like wet plywood under there or maybe some kind of support beam is missing - it almost "gives" when you walk across it and this is the most used section of flooring in the whole RV

Should we continue on our trip? Would it be safe? What could this possibly be? We have made a LOT of reservations along the way but I don't want to get that far from home and have something go terribly bad - Thoughts?
If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Who knows, maybe the dealer cut a support rail out of the floor to replace the tank or perhaps the leaking tank actually affected the flooring material.
It can only get worse and since it's in the traffic area you may experience complete break through.
Is it possible to remove the floor covering to actually see what is happening there? It would be better to know now than to find out during the trip that the floor is shot.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #3

Rather than ruin your trip if you are leaving soon, I personally would go on my trip then when I returned I would then send it to the shop for inspection or repairs. It might be some bracing missing or even water damage which will probably just sag a little until you return. Enjoy yourself and don't worry about the minor things that can be repaired later. You are probably going to be without a camper for a few weeks once it hits the shop.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #4

Texas
Thanks Tanman - yes, we are supposed to leave tomorrow - I think Hubby is going to cut a piece of plywood - approx 2.5 feet.by 5 feet and put there to spread around the impact of us walking there.

Are there ""LEMON laws"" for rev's?? This rig is just 6 months old and has already been in the shop 4 times - SHEESH!!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:28 AM   #5

no lemon laws I have ever heard of. It's a shame too. It seems these RV;s are built very poorly with inferior equipment. Even the higher end ones are not to par. We all have the same stories to tell just different parts of the camper. Enjoy your trip and this fall when you figure you are done for the year take it to the shop with a list of everything under warranty to be fixed. Enjoy your trip..
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #6

Texas
is this likely the same problem or a new one?

does anyone know if the grey tank overflowing could affect the integrity of the floors? isn't the tank much lower than the flooring? that tank problem we had was back in April - and the tank was replaced in early June and only now are we noticing soft spots - almost squishy - spots in the flooring.......we were committed to this trip so hubby put down 3/4 inch plywood over the spots so that we don't make them worse or punch through them but they seem to be getting worse - once we are back home, the rv goes back to the dealer for the 4th time in 6 months of its life

yes - I talked to the attorney and there IS an Rv lemon law in Texas and it appears we would meet the criteria for consideration but I'm just wondering if the tank overflow could have caused this problem (months later) or would it be something else? don't know how the floors could have gotten so wet

thanks anyone - TexasMarci
Old 09-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #7

Nevada
As you are moving the Trailer, if there is a leak on the top of the tank, water will move around and touch the bottom of the floor....making it wet, but this had to going on since new....OR there is a leak from somewhere else, I hate Dealers, but I would like to have looked at the floor before the tank was placed back in, IF the tank is under that part of the floor??

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote