Fiberglass "delamination" on my 2013 Kodiak 283BHSL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #1

Arkansas
Fiberglass "delamination" on my 2013 Kodiak 283BHSL

Just discovered a delamination bubble on our 2013 Kodiak 283BHSL! It's almost the entire front of the camper. Anyone else having this issue??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG954933 (1).jpg
Views:	758
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	5915  

jasonarusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #2

Alabama
Can you get a picture of the transition molding across the top of the front skin that attaches to the roof?

Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #3

Arkansas
Sure can. I took it to a dealer and they verified the seals had no leaks.
jasonarusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:58 PM   #4

Ontario
I had more of a delamination ripple. My fault, I failed to notice a water leak and that was the cause. Couldn't find a do-it-yourself fix so it stands as a constant reminder to me....be more mindful of potential leaks. Luckily it seemed to stay on the outside layer. If yours is not a leak it pretty much sounds like a manufacturing defect.
drchaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:39 AM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonarusso View Post
Just discovered a delamination bubble on our 2013 Kodiak 283BHSL! It's almost the entire front of the camper. Anyone else having this issue??
We had the same problem on our 2013 242 rsel. It bugged me for 2 years before I found the leak on the front cap. It was just a very small spot, less than a 1/4 inch but it was just enough. I ended up replacing the entire front piece. It really was't that hard and it took me 2 days with some great friends help. Total cost was just under $500 including the decal and a couple pizzas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	5922   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	5923   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	5924   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	5925   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	5926  

Rkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:11 AM   #6
syd

Virginia
Quote:
So you had a bubble and no leak? I have a hard bubble about two feet from the ground on my front cap 2016 reels, what could it be.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:13 AM   #7
syd

Virginia
Quote:
So you had a bubble and no leak? I have a hard bubble about two feet from the ground on my front cap 2016 resl what could it be?
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkster View Post
We had the same problem on our 2013 242 rsel. It bugged me for 2 years before I found the leak on the front cap. It was just a very small spot, less than a 1/4 inch but it was just enough. I ended up replacing the entire front piece. It really was't that hard and it took me 2 days with some great friends help. Total cost was just under $500 including the decal and a couple pizzas.
Nice, good to know. Could you share where you obtained the decal? Thanks
drchaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #9

Arizona
Nice job! I have the same delam on my Freedom Spirit and there is no leak. Where did you get the new material? I am considering the same replacement.

RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #10

Illinois
Rkster, warms my heart to see guys like you do such great repair jobs. Gives hope to us guys with two left hands. Great job.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:53 PM   #11

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkster View Post
Great job. Where did you get the fiberglass cap? What adhesive? My 2013 221RBSL has the same problem. I plan on DIY also as soon as it gets warmer. Thanks for sharing the pics.
dougb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #12

Florida
I’m seeing the same on my 2013 294RKSS. No leaks. I’d like to replace it but I’m worried about causing a leaking problem by doing that.
Gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:00 PM   #13

Arizona
delamination

My 2015 200 QB has the front cap with "wrinkles in the glass. These wrinkles are hard as concrete. I have no clue why they are there.
Then the rear outside , which is flat, is separating from the plywood.
The glass is coming off as if it were never "glued" on. I am tempted to totally remove the back end sheeting and peel off the glass then re-glue the whole thing back together.
Hope I made sense with my post.

Any thoughts ?
steve weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #14

Nova Scotia
Best answer is that Dutchmen makes absolute SH*T. I have a 2012 242resl and it's been nothing but trouble from the start. The A/C started it all,, it was never properly fastened at the factory, but since my slide ripped my flooring the day I took it home it had to sit unnoticed at another dealer to be fixed for the remainder of it's 1 year warranty.
I have a post on here somewhere.. took a hiatus.
The door side sprung a leak where the awning connects and it delammed under the window and around the micro vent, top to bottom. Can't be fixed but has been stable. My front went 3 years ago ,, sucked in same as the photos here. Can't get anything fixed or replaced in Canada. Took 2 years to find a guy who works at a dealers to do it for cash. Cost a bundle. Couldn't even find a supplier to ship me filon sheeting. He seamed aluminum cargo panels for a utility trailer on the front. Came out really nice as it matches the black diamond plate on the bottom.
Now I've noticed that the back panel is separating on both bottom corners!!
WTF???? I thought this laminate was the way to go back then. It was supposed to be vacuum laminated so this wouldn't happen.
What a FARCE Dutchmen is. Their answer to me was that I should say that the damage started from a plumbing leak and put it through insurance. Just after my warranty was up... hard to convince insurance that there is plumbing in the ceiling. lol
NEVER EVER will I buy another sh#tbox from Dutchmen.
I even paid for their extended warranty which turned out to only cover the appliances they said,,, after the fact.
Buyer Beware........ they're all the same,, but Dutchmen has proved that they don't care about quality or customers.

caper_6 is offline   Reply With Quote