End of the first season, getting a Hybrid 286e ready for winter - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 12:22 AM   #1

Washington
Question End of the first season, getting a Hybrid 286e ready for winter

Hi everyone, we had a great season of camping in our new (purchased in Feb 2019) 2018 Dutchman Kodiak Hybrid 286e. With school starting it is time to think about getting the trailer ready for winter.

Aside from draining all of the tanks what are some recommendations from the forum for getting the trailer ready for storage? We are considering a cover. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cover for this unit?

We will leave it parked in our driveway and I'll periodically connect it to the house power to keep the battery in shape.

Thanks!

Mountain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:29 AM   #2

Wyoming
Being full-time, there are others on here who can better advise you on winterizing.

However, for your battery... might I recommend getting a Battery Tender that will keep yours charged all winter long. They're family inexpensive, and a lot easier than messing around with having to connect shore power to the whole rig every few weeks.

You can find them at most any auto parts store... or, if you want a specific model, order online.

www.batterytender.com

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

Florida
Make sure you blow all the lines out with a compressor, make sure the hot water heater is completely drained. If you don't want to blow the lines out, you can (and should) pour antifreeze in the sinks and shower, enough to fill the traps with anti freeze so they don't become victims.. If you use antifreeze, make sure you bypass the hot water heater so you don't fill it with antifreeze.... We can give you more direction when you decide which way you want to go. Welcome to the forum, congrats on the new camper and GLAD to hear you had some fun!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #4

Texas
Don't know if your trailer water system is set up for winterizing. Mine has a block valve from the fresh water tank to pump suction and another valve to an open ended line to suck up antifreeze from a jug. Easy to fill up the water lines with antifreeze.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
Hi everyone, we had a great season of camping in our new (purchased in Feb 2019) 2018 Dutchman Kodiak Hybrid 286e. With school starting it is time to think about getting the trailer ready for winter.

Aside from draining all of the tanks what are some recommendations from the forum for getting the trailer ready for storage? We are considering a cover. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cover for this unit?

We will leave it parked in our driveway and I'll periodically connect it to the house power to keep the battery in shape.

Thanks!

Congrats on a Great Camping season. Still time for weekend trips.

As to a cover. I wish we could cover ours with a carport or something. If you have a lot of trees nearby it really makes a difference. We live in the boondocks and I have to wash the roof every six months at least. Ughh.

I was told by a dealer that covers are problematic. They can rub the finish from the wind moving it around. Also hard to put on and off. But that is just heresay on my part.

Good Luck.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:43 AM   #6

Washington
Thanks for the advice!

Great suggestions everyone so far.

I will use the battery tender that I've had lying around and had totally forgotten about.

The water pump is in an enclosed panel and somewhat hard to get to. I've blown out all the lines using an adapter and my air compressor. I've left the low point drains open for a few days and will leave them open a bit longer just in case.

Interesting advice from your dealer @AmryVeteran. I can see where a cover is hard to get on and off, but most of them can cinch down I wouldn't expect them to rub the finish off. Anyone have similar experience or advice? We would only use the cover in winter. Living in the Pacific Northwest, an extra layer of water protection is a good thing.

Cheers!
Mountain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
Interesting advice from your dealer @AmryVeteran. I can see where a cover is hard to get on and off, but most of them can cinch down I wouldn't expect them to rub the finish off. Anyone have similar experience or advice? We would only use the cover in winter. Living in the Pacific Northwest, an extra layer of water protection is a good thing.

Cheers!

He said he would be very happy to sell me a cover nevertheless

He was the Manager of the entire dealership. Service and sales. When we first went into the place, I remarked to my wife how clean and organized everything was. Including the Service Department.

After looking at units the salesman introduced us to the Manager. Found out he was a retired Sergeant Major E-9 in the ARMY. Hence the very tight ship We reminisced a bit and he may have been sharing something he did not usually do with the public. Great Gentleman, nevertheless.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Have Fun!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #8

Minnesota
I’ve also heard that covers can trap moisture inside and create a mold issue but don’t have a lot of experience as this will be the first winter winterizing our camper
PyroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #9

Wisconsin
The most important thing to do, you have done. Protect the plumbing from freezing. All good advice above. Be sure to run the pump dry. Blowing out the lines leaves the syphon tube, check valves, and pumping chamber wet. Pump cost about $200. How do I know?

Of course you pored RV antifreeze into the sink traps and a little into the toilet to keep the flush valve wet. Hopefully you pored enough to wet the bottom of the waste tanks. It matters more in hot dry regions. Crusty build up in the waste tanks can cause trouble later.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #10

Tennessee
Before I bought a carport I covered my camper every winter without issue. Not sure how a proper RV cover would rub the finish off. I had an ADCO cover with a Tyvec roof and ventilated sides, which kept the wind from being a problem. I used a chopped up pool noodle to cover any sharp corners and never had one problem. It is a pain to use one, but if I didn't have a roof over mine, I would cover it every winter.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #11

Oregon
Although I have a space next to our driveway to park ours, I store ours off site at the local fairground where it is under cover all winter. I do need to pull it out come July but likely would anyway. The $500 a year storage fee is worth it IMO to keep it out of the inclement weather.
I too originally looked into covers ( to protect against the summer sun and heat) but opted not to get one due to the hassles of putting it on and taking it off every time we wanted to go somewhere. Now I just make sure it gets a good coating of protectant ( I use 303) every spring to help it out. Also make sure to give a good wash whenever we come back from camping at the coast.
As for winterizing, I have my dealer do it. Cost is $100, and dewinterizing is NC, and if anything becomes damaged by freezing, they are liable for the repairs.

Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote