Electrical Issue on 18ft Zoom - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Nova Scotia
Electrical Issue on 18ft Zoom

This is the 3rd year that I have had my 2008 Zoom. I am running duel series 24 12V batteries which are independent when camping as one runs trailer and other runs a 400W inverter as well as the dealer had installed missmatched batteries when I bought it.

Mid way through this last weekend a most unusual issue developed that has stummed anyone I have spoke to.

The trailer electrical system suddenly went dead when running on the deep cycle battery after running water pump for 5 min (outdoor shower to clean dog).
- Checked voltage and the 2 batteries showed 12.5V and 13.3V
- Cleaned the connectors and tried swapping plus running in series
- Checked the fuses
- Added solar panel (2.7A 40Watt) in series
None of this worked.

- Tried the solar panel stand alone - Worked fine (limited of course) using same wires as battery to trailer
- Tried running the solar panel with battery off charge controler and it balanced out flux from when clouds reduced sunlight.
- Hooked up vehicle via standard harnes... in both running and off - Full power restored using vehicle battery
(removed vehicle connection resulted in trailer dead again
- Trailer at home had full operation on shore 110 power
- Put the 13.3V back on the inverter and it performed normal with a night load from a sleep machine for 2 nights.

Have had my primary battery checked at a battery store and it checks out fine on both the load test and cranking amp test.

Any suggestion where to look now? The only thing i have not bypassed is the small isolator on the battery tray. Give the wire works with the panel as is, I have no reason to suspect this...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Shawn

scdorosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #2

Nova Scotia
I found the problem with my electrical system. There was a small connector point poorly installed in the battery tray that had rusted out and would allow a low voltage to go through (solar cell) but would not allow a higher voltage feed from a battery. I was told in the past this was an isolator but was corrected by the battery guy I was working with. Once I removed this rusted connector point, all is now fine. I will replace with one that is installed correctly and of better quality.
scdorosh is offline   Reply With Quote