Dutchman Aerolite 282DBHS Purchase Questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2015, 03:25 AM   #1

Texas
Dutchman Aerolite 282DBHS Purchase Questions

We sat down and decided to buy this camper today. Love the king bed, floor plan and that we can get bikes and a kayak in. I got concerned about the one AC unit for 28 feet and requested they plug in and let me see how it cools. We are in Houston, TX and it's really hot. AC did a good job everywhere, but the master bedroom. We left without purchasing and the salesman suggested we ask here. He suggested a 110 add on air for $1200. DH had concerns about cutting into the roof and leakage and also not every camp site has an additional 110 plug by the 30 amp. Does the master stay warmish? I want to be on the cold side to sleep.

I am also wondering if it really pulls well with a half ton pick up? If we are going to upgrade our pick up afterwards, because it really does a better job, then I'd rather do that now and go with a 5th wheel.

We've had a 5th wheel before and currently have a diesel pusher motorhome. We need something that sleeps more than 3 people and a vehicle to drive while camping without towing a vehicle. I truly appreciate any advice and answers received! Thank you!

JillTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:24 AM   #2

Nevada
jillTx: You can always add another AC over the bed room, but thats if you find a good place to add it, I have a Toy Hauler that has 3 AC for 43 ft….but I use to have a Montana 32ft 5th wheel with only one AC towards the back….We visit Houston Texas every other year and during this time of the year, One AC has to work very hard to keep the RV cool….Its sounds like you know RV's, so I would look for the model you want, but with the AC's you want, Not add another AC, unless it already comes with the RV…They made so many models, I think you can find all the wants….

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #3

New York
If there is a roof vent in the bedroom, then adding an a/c unit should not be that hard.....but if I where buying a new unit and wanted to have another a/c added - I'd be all over my salesperson to have it "thrown in for free"......if he wants the sale, he'll figure something out!

Check out your weights to see if the 1/2 ton will do what you think it should do.....I'm not on the Weight Patrol....so I'm not the person to speak to about that!

Good Luck with your decision and HAPPY CAMPING!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #4

Texas
There is a roof vent in the master. Thank you. Was hoping someone that had one would speak to the coolness of the master. This camper is something I could take off in with my kids when hubs is working and we have a few days. Jumping back into a motorhome or toy hauler puts me out of my comfort zone.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
That trailer is pushing the limits for a lot of 1/2t trucks. IF yours is set up properly and you aren't hauling a whole lot of extra weight you may be able to pull it off.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:38 AM   #6

North Carolina
I just bought this same trailer here in NC about 3 weeks ago. The AC seems to cool fairly well, but yes, the master bedroom doesn't get a lot of circulation. We are going to add a small but quiet fan that will push the air around more and honestly I think that is all we will need.

I pull it with a 2012 F-150 with the 5.0 V8 and 3.31 gears... So I have a 7900# limit and it tows this trailer nicely.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #7

Texas
Thanks Dan. Are you loving it? The floor plan is very usable. My concern is our 100 degree plus days here in July and August parked in the sun. Did you get a 15 or 16? The one we are looking at is a 15. Thanks for all the replies. They are super helpful.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #8

Alberta
I love my 282dbhs i pull it with my 13 ram 1/2 ton with factory air suspension and it pulls it well! The a/c is fine here in Canada but I can see where this may be an issue in the southern USA but a simple fan as others have stated should help out.
White ram power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillTx View Post
Thanks Dan. Are you loving it? The floor plan is very usable. My concern is our 100 degree plus days here in July and August parked in the sun. Did you get a 15 or 16? The one we are looking at is a 15. Thanks for all the replies. They are super helpful.
We bought a 2015. We are mid 90's here in NC and I have the trailer along side the house currently and the AC is keeping things at 78 without working 24/7.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #10

Florida
We have the Kodiak 284 BHSL. We were in Virginia Beach last week and temps were in the upper 90's early in the week. The one AC unit was not keeping up. I rigged some shading for the bath and kitchen sky lights and that helped a lot; but, temp inside the trailer still got to 84-85.
G-Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #11

California
Get one with the second A/C in the bedroom. Only needs to be a 13,500 btu model.
When we bought our Teton 5th wheel we asked about one. They said with the weather package it has it would be fine with the one A/C. Yes it is but not once the temp starts getting up over 100 it wouldn't keep it cool. My daughter is living in it in Phoenix & we installed a window 10,000 btu unit which now keeps it very nice inside.

We have a bedroom A/C unit in our Voltage & we can hang meat it there. Even when the temp is 110+ outside.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #12

Florida
We have a 2014 282DBHS and the master does not get cool enough for us to sleep well. We have used a couple of fans to pull cold air from the living area back to the master and it is ok. This weekend I opened up the AC and greatly reduced the size of the vent feed for the bathroom (camp side) vent, which is now allowing a lot more air to reach the master vent. I plan to add a maxxAir fan in the master instead of a second AC. Good luck and yes we do love this amazing flexible floor plan!
Svari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #13

Arizona
We have a 2016 282DBHS and we absolutely love it. We live in the Phoenix area and use it to camp up in the mountains. I don't think the single 15kBTU AC we have would keep up in town and we really don't use it in the mountains. If I need AC while camping then I figure I shouldn't be out camping.
Regarding the tow vehicle, I got the trailer when I had a 2013 F150 with a towing capacity of 7700 lbs. The trailer, empty, is within the weight limits but I found that adding supplies to the trailer shot that weight right up. If you have water in it then you'll likely be above the limit. That said, the truck could still pull it. The only issue was when pulling up hill. We have some steep grades here in AZ and the truck was screaming at 5300 RPM to pull it up the hill at 40 mph. I was also somewhat concerned with the descent down the mountain. I have since upgraded to a F250 diesel and that is a dream to pull with.

2016 Dutchmen Aerolite 282DBHS
2015 Ford F250 Diesel SRW
jcs1377 is offline   Reply With Quote