Curious about shower shells - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Texas
Curious about shower shells

As most know, I have a new 213RBSL Aerolite. I've been Full Timing in it for about 45 days or so. It simply feels like home now. Very pleased.

That's been plenty of time for me to poke and prod and look in and under most everything I can get access to with no more than a screwdriver and such. But the one thing that I can't figure out is the obvious void behind the shower shell.

I have confidence the install was done well enough that it is water tight and sealed properly. But I just don't understand why the long wall (of the 3) isn't installed directly against the exterior wall of the TT.

For better understanding of what I am saying, here is the floorplan:

The 2 short stall-walls are solidly mounted and screwed to their structural walls. (The rear exterior wall of the TT, and the bathroom wall with the refrigerator on the opposite side) But the wall with the blue arrow feels like it has an air gap of an inch or 2 between it and the TT's exterior wall. There ARE a few screws with the plastic caps covering the stainless screw-heads, but I don't think they are actually fastened to any structure of any significance. MAYBE a very thin sheet of Luan, at most. Even stranger, the screw length is the same length as the screws in the other 2 walls and seem appropriate length for getting nice and deep into a stud.

I visited the dealership yesterday and walked into another 213RBSL to verify whether they are all like this. And yep, same thing.

Sure would make more sense if the shower was just set back that extra inch or 2 and but-up-against a structural wall. It would result in a much stiffer feel when leaning against it and would also take out the natural flimsiness of that loooong shower shell. Can't help but wonder if the drain in the floor is the determining factor of where the tub is placed?

Ironic that my favorite feature of this TT is the only thing that I have a nitpick with. I absolutely love the overall shower experience. Comes very close to a standard S&B shower.

I'm seriously considering drilling a hole big enough for one of those 3mm(?) spy cameras I have and seeing just exactly what or why that shell is held away from the structural wall. (Thanks for the Amazon link to whoever it was here that posted it. Cool little camera)

Cheers
Bruce

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Illinois
Shower

Just a thought, but I think the shower stalls are generic and used across all types of models and brands, so a "custom" fit isn't going to happen. If you want to see something interesting, go under your shower floor. It isn't resting on a solid piece of wood or metal (at least in the Voltage, it isn't). Resting on metal joists with a piece of wood or furring strip as a spacer. Very flimsy set-up.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #3

Texas
Thanks for the info.
Yea, I doubt the shower shell and pan were made for this TT. However, I haven't seen another mainstream\popular TT with this shower. Certainly not common in size. It's very close to standard S&B dimensions. Just a bit less depth, but standard width.

You have me inspired though. I just might take the thing apart and address any\all RV shortcomings that I find. It already is one of the strongpoints to living in this tiny-house. Or maybe I'm just getting old and now consider my bathroom time more important than previously?
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote