Coleman buying advice - getting a good deal - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #11

Tennessee
Can we hug it out? Sorry, i'm all warm and fuzzy from that awesome eclipse. 100%, it was dark and awesome here.

I will say, my camper had a faulty air conditioner and refrigerator that were both replaced immediately under warranty. Not Dutchman's fault at all, akin to blaming Ford for your Firestone tire blowing out and rolling your Explore into a ditch.

I also complained more than I should have when I first bought my camper, I was never called out for it. That's on us to be better.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #12

Texas
I'm envious. I might be camping in paradise, but I never even noticed the eclipse. non-event.

Oh, and if I catch you whining, I'm gonna call you out.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:16 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
It was cloudy were I was when the eclipse came through, just got a bit darker is all.

Rv's are a rolling crap shoot. The best you can do is do your due diligence prior to purchase, give the dealer a correction list and verify it is completed prior to signing on the dotted line. Also choose a dealer you are comfortable with and think you can trust. If the issues are severe or the list excessive, walk away and look for a different unit.

RV's are not houses, imagine what would happen to your house if it were subjected to a hurricane and earthquake every time you used it!

RV's are built up from a pile of components obtained from outside suppliers. If memory serves me there are only two choices in brands of A/C, fridges, stoves and maybe 3 or 4 for converters, ditto axles. They are chasing profits so in most cases the lowest priced item is what get used. The assemblers are paid by how many pieces they put in a day. More pieces=more pay. Make production and go home early.

In my family we have everything from $10k base model TT to $500K motor homes. They all have issues, how the manufacturer addresses those issues makes the difference. I have seen two TT's come off the same assembly line 2 days apart. One was a complete POS and I would not have taken it if you gave it to me, the other was well put together and minimal items that needed correcting. FWIW these were both sitting on the lot at a CW.

CW is another story. Their service seems to be hit or miss depending on location and customer.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:52 AM   #14

To answer part of the question about pricing. Yes, they are very negotiable. If they are asking 17000 I'm sure you can negotiate a couple of G's off the price. Make them throw in a couple chairs or other amenities. Stick to your price and offer a much lower price.. you can always go up with the offer but seldom down.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #15

Florida
I personally would look at other manufacturers (not saying they would be any better) but today's RV's are mass produced and done by ASSEMBLERS and NOT builders. What I would do is before accepting delivery, go over it with a fine tooth comb and make certain everything works correctly. If you have NO experience with RV's, ask a friend who owns one to go with you to test and inspect the systems (make sure you run the air and the furnace, they can be quite loud-also, a second AC is a good thing also if available-for the bedroom). You will NOT be able to find everything and some of the products in the "assembly" will fail because they do. Also, an extended warranty is a good idea (in my experience a GREAT idea) but sometimes can be expensive. Just remember, they usually don't put the highest quality materials in these things (like the tires). Also, if available, a self leveling system will be a godsend! And finally, they will negotiate the hell out of these things so make sure you play that card and also get all the accessories you want upfront.

Good luck and be knowledgeable!

PS: I'm considering a second AC (because mine has the connections already available) since being out in the sun, the main AC struggles to keep the entire RV cool. CW sells it for a grand but the same AC is available for $400.00 online but usually will require a full 50 amp hookup. As with Mr. Brown, PM me should you want to start a conversation.

PPS: The furniture is the worst that comes from the factory, negotiate that out, buy something else. Upgrade the bedroom mattress!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote