Choice of RV Antifreeze - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2019, 01:48 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Corvallis
Posts: 87
Oregon
Choice of RV Antifreeze

Going to winterize my Kodiak Ultra myself this year and wondering if there is really any difference in the various RV brands out there. The Walmart one town over has the Absolute Zero brand for $3.60 /gal which seems to be a good price (compared to online brands for sale). Anyone used this brand with the desired results? Are there other brands which some of you feel are better or is RV antifreeze pretty much all the same?

Thanks,
Dan
__________________

Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Beaver Dam
Posts: 377
Wisconsin
Some of the cheaper brands have alcohol in them. I had a bad experience with one a couple of years ago. It took a lot of extra flushing to get the bad taste out of my water supply. I recommend you skip any with alcohol in them. Otherwise any -50* F RV anti-freeze is good for the lower US states.
__________________

__________________
Paul Bristol
Dutchman Kodiak Cub KD176RD 2018
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Capron
Posts: 306
Illinois
I would just find the least expensive and get 4 gallons to start with. You never know how much the system takes until you do it, and better to have more than not enough. You can always use what is left over next year.



Then come spring time when they want to get rid of the overstock, buy a few for next season. I didn't have to buy any this year, had enough from last year when I bought then for $1.50 a gallon. Bought a case of them, and used 2 gallons for my laser cooling system too.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Corvallis
Posts: 87
Oregon
Went with the Absolute Zero - met all the criteria. Used four gallons my first time doing the dewinterizing myself. Probably take four to do it next year.

Thanks for the replies.
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dalzell
Posts: 707
South Carolina
Four gallons seems like a lot! If the water heater is bypassed, and you feed the pump directly, with the fresh tank cut off, then all you have to do is run through the pipes until each faucet runs pink. Let some pink flow into the drain, for the trap. That only takes me about one gallon, maybe 1.5
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 225
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I would just find the least expensive and get 4 gallons to start with. You never know how much the system takes until you do it, and better to have more than not enough. You can always use what is left over next year.



Then come spring time when they want to get rid of the overstock, buy a few for next season. I didn't have to buy any this year, had enough from last year when I bought then for $1.50 a gallon. Bought a case of them, and used 2 gallons for my laser cooling system too.
Laser cooling, eh? Yeah, that's what caught my eye! My laser is inside ... so I've no need to antifreeze the chiller, but it's worth passing on the idea to others. Better than standard antifreeze because of the lack of alcohol?
__________________
2017 CTS16FB
2019 Nissan NV
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Capron
Posts: 306
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Laser cooling, eh? Yeah, that's what caught my eye! My laser is inside ... so I've no need to antifreeze the chiller, but it's worth passing on the idea to others. Better than standard antifreeze because of the lack of alcohol?

More for the antimicrobial properties than for temperature. I use a CW5200 so it is pretty much a sealed system. It holds roughly 3 gallons, so have a 50/50 mix with distilled water and the pink color helps to show the flow is working and the tube is full. It keeps the tube at 16*C.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Beaver Dam
Posts: 377
Wisconsin
Wet tank bottoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Four gallons seems like a lot! If the water heater is bypassed, and you feed the pump directly, with the fresh tank cut off, then all you have to do is run through the pipes until each faucet runs pink. Let some pink flow into the drain, for the trap. That only takes me about one gallon, maybe 1.5
There is a plausible argument to keep the bottom of the black water tank wet to prevent solids build up. Gray tanks may benefit as well.

I have not seen solid evidence on this yet.

I buy it by the case, as I winter camp and repeat winterize. I am considering going to blow out to simplify rewetting and flushing the system in cold weather.
__________________
Paul Bristol
Dutchman Kodiak Cub KD176RD 2018
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Corvallis
Posts: 87
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Four gallons seems like a lot! If the water heater is bypassed, and you feed the pump directly, with the fresh tank cut off, then all you have to do is run through the pipes until each faucet runs pink. Let some pink flow into the drain, for the trap. That only takes me about one gallon, maybe 1.5
I made sure it was running well out of all the faucets. Also dumped a decent amount down the traps and toilet. Also, the black water tank flush port got some pumped into it.
My last sentence in my post above should have read, “It will likely take around three gallons (or less) next year.”
__________________

Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×