Buying a New Unit - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #1

Ontario
Buying a New Unit

Hi all,

New to the forums and was hunting for information about the Kodiak 299BHSL Express unit. It seems that people who have been buying new units are running into some manufacturer defects and such.

We decided on a 299BHSL nice unit set up for the 2 kids and us. We plan on either this fall at the RV show or in February.

I am now getting very concerned that these Kodiak units may have a ton of issues.

So when buying a new unit and the dealer does the walk through, what should I really be looking for? Do these dealer provide a stress test on these unit before we get them, or do they just cross their fingers that all goes well when we get there?

I am now worried about this, hopefully it's just cold feet.

Thanks All

E.Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #2

Missouri
Welcome, just try to look at and operate all this systems.
One thing I want to remind you is that these forums are "generally" for people looking for info on a problem they are having with their trailer. There are many happy owners of all type of trailers that may never go to a forum like this, so you rarely hear the stories of how people love there trailers... With that being said, don't worry too much about your future purchase, there will be some issues, but most likely nothing to major. As far as I am concerned, there is not any RV sold that is perfect. The most important thing I can say is find the model and style that meets you needs, which it sounds like you have... In my experience, my dealer has taken care of all of my issues during my warrantee period.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome!

I would say to do your homework and go over any unit you think you want to buy with a fine tooth comb. QC in the RV industry seems to be hit or miss. We just bought a Coleman 16' and other than an issue with the sidewall A/C mount all has been well. There are a few minor fit and finish issues, but I have seen that in million dollar motor homes.

There is a whole thread around here somewhere on what to check for and the suggestion that you spend the night at the dealership prior to signing on the dotted line to make sure everything is fully functional.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #4

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Fudd View Post
I noticed your screen name... You don't have to look like this while buying a RV.. But do your research on pricing before buying.. Check the pricing at the on-line wholesale sites, I was able to get mine to match. which was 38% off of the list price.
Attached Images

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:06 AM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Fudd View Post
Hi all,

New to the forums and was hunting for information about the Kodiak 299BHSL Express unit. It seems that people who have been buying new units are running into some manufacturer defects and such.

We decided on a 299BHSL nice unit set up for the 2 kids and us. We plan on either this fall at the RV show or in February.

I am now getting very concerned that these Kodiak units may have a ton of issues.

So when buying a new unit and the dealer does the walk through, what should I really be looking for? Do these dealer provide a stress test on these unit before we get them, or do they just cross their fingers that all goes well when we get there?

Thanks All
I would go to the Fall RV show that is held in Toronto, usually in early October. Check out the booth for Lovesick Lake RV up in Burleigh Falls, just north of Peterborough. We brought our 2014 Kodiak 291 resl from them. Good service and prices and when you pick it up from the you get a free weekend of camping at their RV park to try everything all out.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:12 AM   #6

British Columbia
Welcome to the forums, from the left coast.

Personally, I will never buy another Thor Industries product.

What ever unit you buy, when you are doing your PDI be very critical. Pull, tug, twist, and turn everything you see, it's better to break it on the lot, than the first camping trip. Ensure you have a note pad and make note of any and all defects, and there will be defects.

Once you have gone through the PDI, do not sign the final papers, payment and accept delivery, until all the defects have been addressed. Don't fall for the "take it and enjoy it, we'll look after you", line.

The dealer will look after the defects immediately, to get a unit delivered, but they are not as quick to look after you once you take delivery. As you work your way through the forum you will find a common theme where folks take delivery, then have problems and the repairs take months to be completed.

Dutchmen is not all that quick to approve warranty repairs and owners have to fight to get things resolved, another common theme on the forum.

I should have listened to the salesman, when he told me that Dutchmen puts lots of glitz and glamor in there units, but are lacking big time in quality.

When you go to the RV show, go with a list of must haves and nice to haves, make a check list for each unit you look at and take pictures, lots of pictures. Keep in mind the units at the show will have been PDI'd to the max.

Good luck, I hope you get the camper of your dreams.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

Utah
We have had our 276bhsl Kodiak for a year and a half and love it. We have had minor issues like small bits of trim coming loose, and I've gone through and touched up the calking inside and out but I do the same thing on my house. We have put something like 8-10k miles on it, in fact we just got back last night from a week through Utah, Idaho and Montana. We experienced high winds, heavy rain, and even a brief snow flurry and our trailer was solid while towing and while taking refugee. I would definitely recommend to a friend.
bcs slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #8

Ontario
Thanks everyone for the advice.
We have planned on going the rv show here in Toronto in October hoping to swing a deal.
We have looked at alot of floor plans and feel this is the best one for are family now and into the future.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #9

California
Double check the kids sleeping area. They might fit now but how about in five years? Don't ask how I know.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #10

Alberta
Hi Elmer. I have just traded in a 2012 model from another manufacturer on a 2014 Kodiak and i can assure you everybody here is correct, but i dont believe all manufacturers are the same.
The levels of quality out there varies on a large scale.
I did not purchase my last unit planning on keeping it for only 2 years but after all the issues we had it HAD to go. What really counts is the dealer. If it wasnt for the dealer we would have gone broke. He fought the warranty guys for us and got all the issues covered.
We could tell on the first 4 day shake out run that the Kodiak was built to a MUCH higher standard of fit, finish and quality components.
Pick what you like from a well known and reputable dealer and that i think makes all the difference. Another poster nailed it...Nobody ever built a perfect unit.You will have little glitches, thats normal.

Best regards

Russ
1958 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #11

Ontario
Thanks everyone for all the help. I feel much better about the path we are taking. I really hope to get a deal here in October at the Toronto rv show on a 2014 (hoping to get clearance stuff).

I have also talked to a few US dealers and they do a alot of deals with Canadians. The prices they have even after currency conversion and duty is still cheaper than some of the Canadian prices i have been quoted.

Thanks again all.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #12

Colorado
Good luck with your purchase, as I've said on here before we LOVE our 240BHSL. We have a 9 year old and a 3 month old and the bunk beds are great! We probably would have liked to go a bit larger but this was the largest we could tow with our Land Rover.
Like most others have experienced we had a few minor issues pop up within the first couple of trips but they were all resolved under warranty and since then we've towed all over Colorado, Utah, California and Idaho.
One of the best investments we've ever made for travel!
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #13

Alberta
Elmer: Be vewy vewy careful before you buy in the US.
My dealer here in Alberta has a BIG sign at service that states if you bought your unit in the US, the warranty is no good.
1958 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #14

Ontario
Thanks for the heads up n the warranty issue, I didn't even think about that.