Bumper mount grill question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Colorado
Bumper mount grill question

Greetings from a new member!
We have a Kodiak trailer that came with a swing arm bumper grill mount, but no grill. Swing arm looks like this:

There is no horizontal surface on which to set a grill, so I assume some grills must mount to this bracket. Any thoughts on how to hang a grill from this? Dealer was no help. Thanks in advance!

don quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #2

Ontario
If you have the bracket you should have the grill. I think they come in the same box.

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
If you have the bracket you should have the grill. I think they come in the same box.
Unfortunately no. The bracket was installed on the bumper when we bought it. The unit was previously owned (it was a return to the dealer). So we bought it as-is with no grill. Dealer told us they came with an outdoor stove standard instead of a grill.
don quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #4

Utah
Yes , they mount on the top edge of the flat plate. Its unfortunate that your unit did not come with a bbq.... however as luck would have it mine did and I prefer to use my Webber Q 2000. I would be willing to let go of the one that came with our Kodiak for a great deal. I used it twice.
bcs slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

Colorado
We use our grill every trip. Missing in that picture is the bracket to set the grill inside as well as the grill itself. Also of course you'll need the propane hose. I'd take bcs slc offer and save yourself some headache!
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #6

Oklahoma
I have a question...it seems a little odd to me to cook so close to the coach. Do you get grease or smoke stains on the coach?
Plapper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #7

California
Hey I have this same mount on my Coleman CTS19qb. I bought the trailer new from a dealer. I have the full mount on the back bumper with the metal grate that goes onto it, but now grill. What grill should go with this??
emsboy_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #8

Oklahoma
I tried to use the one that came with my Kodiak 291 RESL but it would not get hot enough to cook so I have never tried it again
sprintcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsboy_03 View Post
Hey I have this same mount on my Coleman CTS19qb. I bought the trailer new from a dealer. I have the full mount on the back bumper with the metal grate that goes onto it, but now grill. What grill should go with this??
If I was looking for a grill to go on the mount, I would measure the size of mount and head to my nearest big box. You will probbly find a better grill for half the money that a dealer wants.

Personnaly the grill mount is not something that we would use, we have had our small camping grill for quite awhile and have always set it and our camp stove up away from the rig. Like to be able to adjust the placement in relation to the wind and keep the smoke away from the trailer.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #10

Tennessee
Missing Parts

Don,
Our Kodiak has the same swing-out frame with our factory supplied grill.

This is the rail that needs to attach to the swing-out portion (measure twice, drill once when positioning it):
RVQ 902 - 14-6350 Grill Mounting Extrusion - Price: $8.19 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

Then this frame will slide right on to the rail.
- GRILL-5 RVQ Grill Bracket - Price: $25.00 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

Our frame differs a little to accommodate the particular grill we have, but this design looks sufficiently generic to accept whatever grill you find. The frame will also support your grill on a picnic table or such if you're cooking stuff with a high flame potential , though you will likely need a longer gas line.

Been happy with our setup so far.
Good luck!

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:53 AM   #11

Arizona
Camco 500 grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don quixote View Post
We have a Kodiak trailer that came with a swing arm bumper grill mount, but no grill. Swing arm looks like this:

There is no horizontal surface on which to set a grill, so I assume some grills must mount to this bracket. Any thoughts on how to hang a grill from this? Dealer was no help. Thanks in advance!
Take a look at this grill. I have one and it is awesome, it also comes with the mounting bracket that holds the grill. I even bought the 10 ft hose and with shipping paid less that 180.00.
Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill
azpacfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by don quixote View Post

I know this post is old but I came here with the same questions
Luckily, I stumbled on the answer accidentally while looking at old sales videos for my 2014 Kodiak, in the video you could see the original boxed grill that was shipped with the trailer. They're still available on Amazon, it's a Flame-King YSNHT500

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-Mo...IZCNOXKhttp://

I've seen them with slightly different model numbers but they all appear identical and attach to the mount that shipped with Kodiak trailers.

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle w/ factory towing package
JTMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #13

South Carolina
We just traded in our Kodiak that came with the Grill/mount combination. The only good thing I can say about it is it is convenient to hook up the propane from your on board tanks. Connector under trailer in back next to mount.

The mount was never stable enough for me. I am a rough with a spatula.........haha

The grill was never level. Had to do adjust by bending.
ughh.

We got a small coleman to use on the picnic tables that are at every campsite.

GoodLuck either way.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:07 AM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
We just traded in our Kodiak that came with the Grill/mount combination. The only good thing I can say about it is it is convenient to hook up the propane from your on board tanks. Connector under trailer in back next to mount.

The mount was never stable enough for me. I am a rough with a spatula.........haha

The grill was never level. Had to do adjust by bending.
ughh.

We got a small coleman to use on the picnic tables that are at every campsite.

GoodLuck either way.

I made a bracket for a 36" LED TV that I had in my hanger.. set it up so my granddaughter could watch "Frozen" before you knew it, we'd acquired a half-dozen kids from other campsites... Grandma was in heaven

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle w/ factory towing package
JTMD is offline   Reply With Quote