Bikes - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Colorado
Bikes

We have a Kodiak 240BHSL that we tow with a Ford Expedition.

We need a way to transport 4 bikes, but ideally don't want to put them on top of the Expedition or in the Kodiak.

Does anyone know if there's a way to put a bike rack on the back of the Kodiak?

thanks!

Cbb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:49 AM   #2

Florida
From what I understand, the square bumper is not heavy enough to support the bracket ans the bikes.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoaks View Post
From what I understand, the square bumper is not heavy enough to support the bracket ans the bikes.

I hope that is not correct, no offense. Because our 243BHSL spare tire and BBQ mount are on the bumper. I will take a peek at ours tomorrow with my good eye and guesstimate the tensile strengthen haha.

I did see a mount that somehow goes on the trailer hitch area. It seemed to put the bikes up very high as I recall. Will advise if I can find it. But, I am sure some one will have an answer.

Good LUck
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #4

Washington
If it is a welded square it should work for a bumper mount for a hitch bike rack.
I have one I got for $70 and use a Thule bike rack that holds 4 bikes- works great just can’t see if a bike falls off!
I’ve seen racks that mount in the front of a trailer by the propane - not sure how well those work
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #5

Colorado
I wonder if you could attach something like this to the back of your camper behind the bike rack. You could keep an eye on it while you're driving.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rear-View...AaApqDEALw_wcB
Cbb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #6

Wyoming
Alternate idea... unless it’s not an option, why not mount a front-facing hitch on your truck, put a bike rack up there?

Google “front hitch bike rack” for photos
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #7

Florida
My vote for that suv would be front mount. Good luck.
Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:35 AM   #8

Saskatchewan
Bike carrier

I had a welding shop build a hitch with a 2 inch receiver on the back of the trailer for my 4 bike hitch mount carrier.
Hitch is a cross member between the two frame members, a reinforcement on the bottom of the square tube bumper and a 2 inch receiver tube welded to the new cross member and the bumper. Total weight of the hitch pieces is about 30 pounds. Cost about $400 Canadian.
JimBob1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #9

Tennessee
If you're at all handy they make a bumper brace for RV's that should hold 4 bikes fine(I would relocate the spare tire). I removed my spare tire off of my tube bumper, bolted on a hitch receiver and have been hauling 2 bikes back there for the past 4 years with just the stock bumper. I regularly check the welds and it's held up fine.
I had a front hitch on my first tow vehicle and hated it, nothing worse than staring through bike handlebars on a trip.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

Idaho
I had a front receiver on my F350. It was the only option. I would go that way only if there are no other options. Visibility isn't great, especially at night. The bikes get covered in bugs and tend to rust.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #11

Florida
Square bumper

I tore the 4" square bumper right off a 2012 RLS262. I guarantee it will NOT hold up over time and rough highways. I was only carrying 2 aluminum framed bikes. Had to have a fabricator create a secondary frame in front of the bumper. I use a 3500 lb Curt frame mount hitch on the 2014 330RLS we have now. It carries two 40 lb kayaks on a basket. Two bikes are on a F250 front hitch.

The other option is to replace the thin wall 4" bumper with a heavy wall piece. They are the same exterior dimensions. Then use a Curt bolt on RV bumper hitch.
GGreGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreGG View Post
I tore the 4" square bumper right off a 2012 RLS262. I guarantee it will NOT hold up over time and rough highways. I was only carrying 2 aluminum framed bikes. Had to have a fabricator create a secondary frame in front of the bumper. I use a 3500 lb Curt frame mount hitch on the 2014 330RLS we have now. It carries two 40 lb kayaks on a basket. Two bikes are on a F250 front hitch.

The other option is to replace the thin wall 4" bumper with a heavy wall piece. They are the same exterior dimensions. Then use a Curt bolt on RV bumper hitch.
This is an assumption that all square bumpers are the same, they are not. My first camper had a square bumper that was thin and not attached to the frame, I wouldn't have put anything heavier than my septic hose in or on it . My current camper has a beefier square tube bumper welded directly to the frame.

Some due diligence is required to determine if other structural support is needed for the weight being applied to the bumper.

Tags
bike, bike rack