Adding 2nd AC unit - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Adding 2nd AC unit

I have a 2016 Aerolite 298RESL, it came wired with 50 amp and a single AC unit. There are 2 blank slots for additional breakers. I called the dealer who supposedly called Dutchman and told me the roof was not braced for a 2nd unit. I also emailed Dutchman who got back with me a couple days later and said the roof was braced for an additional AC unit, as well as being pre-wired for one.

When I removed the trim cover for the front skylight all I can see is wood framing, no wires readily apparent. Does anyone have experience with adding a second AC unit to this model? If its pre-wired I don't mind adding an additional unit myself, if it isn't wired already I'm not sure I trust our local dealer to do the job.

Thanks!

Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:31 AM   #2

Oregon
I had a non Dutchman trailer that was 50amp and prewired for a second AC. It came with a breaker that said second AC and when I removed the vent trim there was a electrical box there with wire for the AC.

Make sure you can see the blocking around the vent (check all your vents as the second AC could be living space or bedroom)
Check to see if you have a breaker marked for a second AC if not see if you have romex coiled up behind the breaker box. If not I would say your not prewired for a second AC.
If you can get wire from the vent down to the breaker box it's not that hard to add a breaker or wire to the new AC.
If you decide to add the second AC go with a Non Ducted unit to make your installation way easier (unless you find second AC ducting in the ceiling as well).

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #3

Oklahoma
I'm not super happy with the level of customer service at the dealership where I purchased the camper so I called a different dealership about adding a second unit. They said around $1000 if it was pre-wired. I'm suspecting it will be more than that since a Dometic unit with the register/control panel is around $700 shipped.

I did take the panel cover off, there are slots for 3 more breakers and extra wires pulled into the space (which look suspiciously small gauge for AC), but Keystone confirmed the roof is braced and pre-wired for up to. 13.5 unit. Should know something in a couple weeks.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
I'm not super happy with the level of customer service at the dealership where I purchased the camper so I called a different dealership about adding a second unit. They said around $1000 if it was pre-wired. I'm suspecting it will be more than that since a Dometic unit with the register/control panel is around $700 shipped.

I did take the panel cover off, there are slots for 3 more breakers and extra wires pulled into the space (which look suspiciously small gauge for AC), but Keystone confirmed the roof is braced and pre-wired for up to. 13.5 unit. Should know something in a couple weeks.

Not so sure I would take Keystone's word for anything! Most of the AC's work on less than 20 amps so ...they may have pulled the WHITE 15 amp house wire to that location (14 gauge). The 20 amp (12 gauge) is yellow (the sheath).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Turns out Keystone is blowing smoke, there are no wires running to the front to power a second AC unit. The dealer said its not a big deal to run new wires since there are still multiple slots left for additional breakers. It did add about $800 to the cost of the install. Pricey for sure, but the single ducted unit makes the camper unusable when the temps get close to triple digits.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 PM   #6

Florida
$800 sounds steep to run wire. I think I would put a power cord on the new a/c so it could be plugged into the power pedestal like many folks who only have 30 amp power do for second a/c.
Save $800.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 PM   #7

Florida
The specs on your unit say it's prewired for a second AC.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-...98resl-tr32786

Usually a 50 amp service indicates that it will take a second AC. if it is only wired (capable) for one, it would be 30 amp.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote