6+ gallons of antifreeze... 242BHS - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2015, 01:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Matthews
Posts: 55
North Carolina
6+ gallons of antifreeze... 242BHS

Took 8 gallons.... 6 just to the point of where the pump would push a bit through the lines.

My old generic toy hauler only took like 2 gallons...

Had to go get more as I had four on hand. First time winterizing this one.
__________________

WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aubrey
Posts: 73
Texas
Just curious, was it level when you did this?
__________________

__________________
2013 Denali 330RLS, Fifth Airborne King Pin Box, Equa Flex, JT Strongarms
2011 Ford 250 6.7L dsl
Texmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:14 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pottsville
Posts: 1
Pennsylvania
Sounds like you filled the hot water tank instead of bypassing it.
Tacoma7829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:18 AM   #4
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,139
North Carolina
Holy Crap Marie!

Sounds like you either filled the water heater or the fresh water tank. If you did manage to get it into the water heater DON'T start it. Makes for a noxious mixture.

Did you remember to turn the bypass valves at the water heater?

BTW I live a bit east of you, don't bother with anti-freeze in the line, just in the p-traps.

I blow the lines using an air compressor set to around 25-30 psi. Then dump a bit of RV anti-freeze into the P-traps. Also pull the plug on the water heater.

Aaron
__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Matthews
Posts: 55
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmac View Post
Just curious, was it level when you did this?
Very level.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Matthews
Posts: 55
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma7829 View Post
Sounds like you filled the hot water tank instead of bypassing it.
Nope... I had already turned the bypass valves and drained the hot water tank. - To the point of second guessing myself, so I pulled the panel again and double checked the valves.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Matthews
Posts: 55
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Holy Crap Marie!

Sounds like you either filled the water heater or the fresh water tank. If you did manage to get it into the water heater DON'T start it. Makes for a noxious mixture.

Did you remember to turn the bypass valves at the water heater?

BTW I live a bit east of you, don't bother with anti-freeze in the line, just in the p-traps.

I blow the lines using an air compressor set to around 25-30 psi. Then dump a bit of RV anti-freeze into the P-traps. Also pull the plug on the water heater.

Aaron
Where are you at exactly?

I run the antifreeze through and then also blow them out at 25-50 PSI like you and then add more to the traps.

Last winter we had that long deep freeze so I wanted to make sure to get it done and have nothing to worry about.

I'm absolutely positive I have the bypass right... This isn't my first trailer.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,715
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
I'm absolutely positive I have the bypass right... This isn't my first trailer.
Then you would know that 8 gallons of antifreeze is 6 too much.
I just got a call from the guy who bought my old hybrid asking why it was taking over 3 gallons and still wasn't full, turns out the city water plug was leaking and he was pumping gallons of antifreeze on the ground.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,139
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
Where are you at exactly?

I run the antifreeze through and then also blow them out at 25-50 PSI like you and then add more to the traps.

Last winter we had that long deep freeze so I wanted to make sure to get it done and have nothing to worry about.

I'm absolutely positive I have the bypass right... This isn't my first trailer.
Just north of Fort Bragg. In between Lillington and Spring Lake.

I wonder if you have a bad by-pass valve? Did you pull the plug on the water heater? That is A LOT of liquid to go missing.

Aaron
__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Matthews
Posts: 55
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Just north of Fort Bragg. In between Lillington and Spring Lake.

I wonder if you have a bad by-pass valve? Did you pull the plug on the water heater? That is A LOT of liquid to go missing.

Aaron
Well, I'll pull the plug again today and see if the water is pink. That would explain it I suppose.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southgate
Posts: 64
Michigan
Did you put the antifreeze in the fresh water tank or did you use a suction hose on the water pump?
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Matthews
Posts: 55
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthehunter View Post
Did you put the antifreeze in the fresh water tank or did you use a suction hose on the water pump?
Fresh water tank. I don't believe I have a suction hose.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dalzell
Posts: 707
South Carolina
Now it sounds like the fresh water tank needs about six gallons just to reach the suction tube of the water pump. In other words, the tube isn't reaching down far enough. If opening the fresh water drain yields about six gallons of pink, then that would be the story. Next is what to do? Live with the fact that six gallons of water and weight are unusable, or work on the tank plumbing?
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Matthews
Posts: 55
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Now it sounds like the fresh water tank needs about six gallons just to reach the suction tube of the water pump. In other words, the tube isn't reaching down far enough. If opening the fresh water drain yields about six gallons of pink, then that would be the story. Next is what to do? Live with the fact that six gallons of water and weight are unusable, or work on the tank plumbing?
Brand new rig to me as of this past July. Old trailer was far easier to get to everything. This one is all foamed and sealed underneath. I'll have to dig around and see if I can get some ideas. It isn't a big deal... just a surprise.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southgate
Posts: 64
Michigan
You need to go to your dealer and get a kit that allows you to siphon in the antifreeze directly from the gallon jugs using the on board water pump. This will save you about 6 gallons of antifreeze. Using the fresh water tank is not good, besides it is wasting antifreeze.

Pump Converter Winterizer Kit - Camco 36543 - Winterizing - Camping World
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:28 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Encinitas
Posts: 14
California
Same thing here in my new 302 RESL. It took 8 gallons and YES the hot water was bypassed. Kind of irked me since I've never had that issue before.
kowboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 461
Montana
Does the unit have an expansion/accumulator tank? I don't think those hold anywhere near 6 gallons though.

The water heater just seems like the most obvious culprit, even though the OP says they are certain it is bypassed. They did mention that they would pull the plug to verify but did not update the thread on the outcome. I'm still guessing that's where all the antifreeze is until I read an update refuting that! Although the explanation of the amount of liquid required in the fresh water tank for the inlet to suck it make makes sense, too. Install a winterizing bypass on that sucker, they are cheap and easy.

My TT takes 1/2 gallon of antifreeze, pumped via the pump inlet winterizing bypass, to fill all of the plumbing lines.
__________________
2012 Aspen Trail 2710BH | 280 watts of solar on the roof | 2x6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500 & 300 watt PSW inverters | so far strictly boondocking
ewarnerusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #18
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,139
North Carolina
I have always used a suction kit to pull anti-freeze into my system. I DON'T want to have to try to clean it out of the fresh water tank. I have never had a trailer with an outside anti-freeze port, but I like the concept. I have always had a kit similar to the one that nickthehunter linked to. Even used the same thing on my popup.

Aaron
__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:17 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Matthews
Posts: 55
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
Does the unit have an expansion/accumulator tank? I don't think those hold anywhere near 6 gallons though.

The water heater just seems like the most obvious culprit, even though the OP says they are certain it is bypassed. They did mention that they would pull the plug to verify but did not update the thread on the outcome. I'm still guessing that's where all the antifreeze is until I read an update refuting that! Although the explanation of the amount of liquid required in the fresh water tank for the inlet to suck it make makes sense, too. Install a winterizing bypass on that sucker, they are cheap and easy.

My TT takes 1/2 gallon of antifreeze, pumped via the pump inlet winterizing bypass, to fill all of the plumbing lines.
Yeah. I pulled the HW tank plug again... Nothing came out except a small dribble of clear water. So it is as drained as it was the first time.

I'll get the kit for next year. No biggy.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Eldersburg
Posts: 293
Maryland
I just finished winterizing my 300BHSL this past weekend. After blowing out the lines, I used the fresh water tank and the pump to push the antifreeze through the lines. Started with 2 gallons of antifreeze, but pump was drawing mostly air and very little antifreeze. Added 3rd gallon but not much better. It wasn't till I had 5 gallons into the tank before it worked properly and the pump pushed the antifreeze through the lines.

I will definitely be installing one of those by-pass siphon adapters before next year. I will also have to see if the pick-up hose in the fresh water tank is set properly; something tells me that it is either too short or they pushed too much into the tank that it curled up and is not near the bottom.

Also thanks for reminding me to drain the fresh water tank now that I have the antifreeze in the lines. No need to leave it in there over the winter.
__________________

__________________
Matt

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×