300BHSL Living Room Slide-Out Issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Oregon
300BHSL Living Room Slide-Out Issues

Hi All,

I'm a new owner of a 2013 Kodiak 300BHSL since Feb. 2013. I've only taken it out twice. But have been working on it during storage.

My main living room slide has been having issues going in or out. When I first got it, it didn't seem to be having any problems. Now regardless if I'm on batter or hooked up to shore power, the slide has a difficult time going in and out. It would go a little then get stuck. Sometimes it would also go out uneven (crooked). I would have to stop, reverse direction, then try again. Sometimes up to 4-5 times before it will retract or extend fully. A few times I actually had people help push or pull it out.

I've spoken to dealer and they took a look and they said they could not find any issues with it but have adjusted something. But it still happening.

Just wondering if anyone with a 300BHSL has had slide issues too?
Thanks in advance.

sithc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #2

Pennsylvania
I have a 255BHSL and have had no problems at all. it groans a little (sometimes), but I'm hoping that is normal.

zzpw3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #3

Washington
Are you perfectly level side to side when you are activating your slide? These big super slides do NOT like to go up or downhill at all.....if you are level, I'd insist that the dealer take another look at it.
When you were at the dealer, did you activate the slide with the service writer with you? He would be hard pressed to tell you everything is OK, if it acts as you describe with both of you watching it.....

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

Oregon
Denali2012, yes I'm pretty level all the time. I'll probably take it into the dealer again when I get the chance. I think they acknowledge the issue last time but only said they tighten up something (not sure what) and thats about it. I know, it can't be normal.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

California
Hi Sithc,
We also have a 2013 300BHSL and our main living room slide has been fine. However, our small kitchen slide recently broke when the driveshaft sheered. This happend because the switch stuck in the "in" position. Long story short, this has been a major nightmare - the only way to access the broken slide motor was for the dealer to remove the kitchen island. I will do a complete thread, with pictures, when I get our trailer back from the dealer. But pay extra attention when you bring your kitchen slide in or out, and make sure the switch disengages when the slide reaches its in or out limit.
CampSanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Oregon
Hi CampSanDiego,

Thanks for the heads up. I don't recall, but I think the motor stops (disengages) when the slides extend or retract to their max position, even when you have the button pressed. But do please let me know how things go if for some reason my fails in the future. Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #7

Texas
I have a 2013 300BHSL and have not run into this issue...... We have having A/C issues though, our Advent AC150 will not keep the RV cool. It will typically climb to 84-86 degrees around 5pm. The unit just does not blow enough air. Are you happy with your AC unit?

2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL
2012 F350 4x4 Diesel
JLindner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLindner View Post
I have a 2013 300BHSL and have not run into this issue...... We have having A/C issues though, our Advent AC150 will not keep the RV cool. It will typically climb to 84-86 degrees around 5pm. The unit just does not blow enough air. Are you happy with your AC unit?
No - ours does not keep the unit cool enough in the summer. I'm not sure if ours has the same AC150 - I'll have to check.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampSanDiego View Post
Hi Sithc,
We also have a 2013 300BHSL and our main living room slide has been fine. However, our small kitchen slide recently broke when the driveshaft sheered. This happend because the switch stuck in the "in" position. Long story short, this has been a major nightmare - the only way to access the broken slide motor was for the dealer to remove the kitchen island. I will do a complete thread, with pictures, when I get our trailer back from the dealer. But pay extra attention when you bring your kitchen slide in or out, and make sure the switch disengages when the slide reaches its in or out limit.
Correction - I got it back from the dealer today. They did not have to remove the kitchen island to access the kitchen slide motor (stuck in the "in" position), but did need to dissassemble the kitchen cabnet section just above the floor line. Again, I will write a complete post on this as soon as I have some time.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #10

Oregon
AC Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLindner View Post
I thought it was just me. My first hot day in the trailer outing was only in the 80's and it fine. I was actually enjoying it. Then on a trip to California, it was easily in the 100's and I definately thought my AC was broken. It could barely keep in in the low 80's. I thought it had froze up due to constantly running. So I actually had to shut it down in for a couple of hours thinking that was the issue.

Now that I think of it, I guess you are right, it doesn't seem to blow enough air. I remember checking the vents. It was cold air, but the air was weak as if the air ducts were blocked or something. Very weak pressure. So you think its the AC unit issue not being able to blow much?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #11

Texas
Sithc
You should have the Advent AC150 15k btu unit. The specs show that it puts out 580scfm of air but I don't see how. The air is cold (will get down to 50) but there is not volume of air. Our old 13.5Kbtu blew out a lot more volume of air. There has go to be issue with it. Been back to the RV store three times already. See spec sheet below.

http://www.advent-air.com/downloads/...ers_manual.pdf

Jeff

2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL
2012 F350 4x4 Diesel
JLindner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #12

Texas
My living room slide is stuck and is currently fully extended. The left side seems to work fine for 4-5 inches, but the right side closest to the bedroom seems to snag or simply stop getting power to the motor. What is the easiest way for me to retract this bad boy so I can get it to my dealer? I've heard you can disengage the motor and manually push the slide in, but where is the control board for this motor and how do I access it?

Thanks in advance!!!!
ttramonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #13

Oregon
Hi ttramonte,

Sorry to hear. My slide too had issues on my last trip during Thanksgiving weekend. At the end of the trip, my main slide was getting stuck coming in. I tried forever in and out....it was always one side or the other getting stuck. I finally gave out and went about my business of cleaning up and dumping my sewer. For some reason, after I dumped my sewer I got back and tried retracting the slide and it came in. My only explanation is to be sure you are leveled. I guess the waste tanks were all full and tilting my trailer. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Other times it has happen, I just keep working at it with the help of someone pushing the slide in as I push the button. It will be inches at a time. You'll have to push the button in and out. The button/motor has a disconnect when it gets stuck or something. Just push the button the opposite direction then depress, then press the opposite movement (whatever you are trying to do... i.e. - get the slide in). I kept doing it over an over hundreds of time inching in and out.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #14

Arkansas
Assuming you have a Schwintek slide be sure to check out these trouble shooting tips.

slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote