2nd A/C - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Arizona
2nd A/C

Just returned from a short trip in the AZ sunshine and found that our a/c really struggled to keep our 291 RESL comfortable. I have a LG portable a/c in storage that is not being used and I am considering removing the side window in the dinette slide for venting the a/c in hopes of cooling the trailer better. In this scenario I could simply replace the window when not needing the extra cooling boost. This would also require a separate electric cord to the campgrounds 110 outlet that I have seen on most hookup poles. Has anyone tried this before and if so how were your results? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

TIA

Doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #2

Oklahoma
We are living in our 298 right now as the house is under a major remodel. The temps here are getting close to 100, heat index of 110ish. I bought an LG 12K BTU unit to help cool the camper, between it and the factory roof AC it barely keeps the temp in the mid-low 70's in the living room, the bedroom barely gets below 80. My windows are rounded in the corners so rather than mess with the exhaust mounting hardware that came with it, so I ended up just cutting a piece of plexiglass that I had laying around the house. The downside is you can't run anything else off the wall outlets or it trips a breaker.

I called and emailed Keystone about adding a second Dometic rooftop AC unit, since its already wired for 50 amp. The person I called on the phone said the camper is not wired for a second AC unit, nor is the roof braced. However the person I emailed from Keystone assured me that it was braced and wired, set up for a 13.5 unit. I can get the AC unit and control panel for around $700 from Amazon so if its pre-wired I'll probably end up installing a second AC unit that way so I can use the camper year round if I like and not have to mess around with securing a mobile unit and rigging up a window vent.

Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
I can get the AC unit and control panel for around $700 from Amazon so if its pre-wired I'll probably end up installing a second AC unit that way so I can use the camper year round if I like and not have to mess around with securing a mobile unit and rigging up a window vent.
I would just go with the 15k unit, I replaced mine with this one for $595. The guy who sells them is very knowledgeable and gave me great install tips over the phone.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Yes, I had that one in my Amazon cart while waiting for Keystone to reply to my email. She was specific on the 13.5 unit, I'm guessing due to either wiring or roof weight though I can't imagine there being much difference between 13.5 and 15 regarding weight or amperage. Mine just has a roof vent now so I will need the controller too, https://www.amazon.com/DOMETIC-33148...0EZ4CHWA2T1YN0 . I haven't really gotten too much into the roof to see what wiring is actually there, then I'll have to track down some breakers too.
Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:30 AM   #5

New York
I ordered my 282dbhs with a 15K BTU main A/C unit and a second unit on the roof in the bedroom and the only option was 13.5k BTU in there. There's probably a reason i guess.
brywatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

Indiana
Thinking of using a Cub

I just ordered a 9200 btu coleman cub to install in the bedroom. My 13.5k Dometic didnt last a year and I installed a 15k. The cooling is still pathetic in the bedroom so I'm hoping the 2nd unit will take care of it. I went with the coleman because the dealer said he only reinstalls dometics if they are warrantied. Has anyone installed a 2nd unit themselves?
kenhansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #7

Florida
We purchased a new 2017 Aerolite 294RKSS several months ago. Since we live in southern Florida, we opted for the larger Domeric 15k AC unit for the main unit. It took a long time to cool the trailer down after it was sitting in the sun and closed up. Temps were over 103 degrees inside. The bedroom was the last space to cool down since it had only one AC duct in the ceiling. Luckily, the bedroom was wired and had a roof opening for an optional AC unit. I am not handy so had the dealer install AC and they chose the Dometic Brisk II 13.4k AC. I believe this is the same unit mentioned above. It took the dealer about 2 hours to install. We made a trip to Crystal River FL after the install and my wife reduced the temp in the bedroom to 66 degrees the first night. The control for the bedroom unit is on the face of the AC unit itself and is not connected to the thermostat. This is a great arrangement for us since we travel with a tropical parrot. We can zone the coach and keep it warm where the parrot sleeps and close the bedroom door and keep the bedroom cool for our comfort. Not saying this is a good arrangement for everybody, but it meets our needs very well.
bullitt4199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #8

Florida
I priced out a 2nd unit at CW but did not make the leap. The main AC is VERY LOUD so I want one for the bedroom that will be quieter and cool the bedroom down on our hot florida days.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #9

Oregon
If you have a 50 amp service and are wired for a second AC that is the best way to go. But if not you have little choice. I
If you plan on keeping your portable AC I would consider adding a vent similar to a dryer vent where you decide to place the AC. The duct from the portable AC would attach to it . It would not be much different in operation than the power exhaust vent for your stove top. You could also add a power cord housing compartment for pulling the power cable through to the campground pedestal...

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote