2018 213rbsl roof question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #1

North Carolina
2018 213rbsl roof question

Hi. We purchased an Aerolite on May 3rd this year. Due to many things happening this year, we have not been able to take it out for a trip yet. We were blessed with our first grandchild, and spent a lot of time in NY away from home in mountains of NC. We were going to do a shakedown Trip with some friends the end of this month, but our 7 year old English Springer Spaniel became lame and has torn the cruciate ligaments in both of her hind knees requiring two separate surgeries over the next months. We need to put our unused trailer away for the winter. We do not have a covered shelter for it yet, we will next year. My husband needs to clean and check seams on roof, but we don’t know if this trailer has a TPO roof or a rubber roof. The manual states both types, but I can’t figure out which this trailer was manufactured using. We need to know what product to clean and if, necessary seal seams with. Also, what products do you recommend for cleaning and waxing the exterior fiberglass? Thank you in advance. We look forward to traveling in our trailer next spring and summer and seeing this beautiful country with our dog, Bailey. ~ Kate & Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	298B5A40-83EC-4A2A-A216-1501FE46B179.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	5024  

my3kidz60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

Tennessee

My 2014 213 is TPO, it really doesn't matter because Dicor 501-502(horizontal surfaces only) works on both TPO and EPDM and is the gold standard for roof caulking.

I clean my roof with a mix of simple green and Dawn dish soap. I have used commercial auto wax on my camper (Meguires) with good results. There's a ton of options out there.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kidz60 View Post
Hi. We purchased an Aerolite on May 3rd this year. Due to many things happening this year, we have not been able to take it out for a trip yet. We were blessed with our first grandchild, and spent a lot of time in NY away from home in mountains of NC. We were going to do a shakedown Trip with some friends the end of this month, but our 7 year old English Springer Spaniel became lame and has torn the cruciate ligaments in both of her hind knees requiring two separate surgeries over the next months. We need to put our unused trailer away for the winter. We do not have a covered shelter for it yet, we will next year. My husband needs to clean and check seams on roof, but we don’t know if this trailer has a TPO roof or a rubber roof. The manual states both types, but I can’t figure out which this trailer was manufactured using. We need to know what product to clean and if, necessary seal seams with. Also, what products do you recommend for cleaning and waxing the exterior fiberglass? Thank you in advance. We look forward to traveling in our trailer next spring and summer and seeing this beautiful country with our dog, Bailey. ~ Kate & Tom
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Look here for the answer to your roof type...

Where in NC do you camp? Looks like you start out in Murphy and are close to the Cherokee National Forest. I have spent many a vacation in Murphy, highlands and Cashier!

Like WW450 mentioned, DICOR is the gold standard for sealing roofs. You can get it on line (which is better and cheaper) or get it at the local CW!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #4

North Carolina
Thank you!!!
Old 09-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

North Carolina
We are in the Tarheel North section of Murphy. Love these mountains. We moved from Long Island NY in 2004 to New Port Richey, FL. Bought Murphy in 2011, made it permanent in 2017. Still have two of our kids in FL - Trinity and Odessa, both teachers in Pasco County. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #6

Florida
Wow, small world. We board my wife’s horse in Odessa and we are just a few minutes from trinity and npr.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:

Being a bit of a newbie also. I can only tell you this. The "lite" trailers are not to be walked on. So be careful.

Here is what I got from Dutchman Customer Service.

"Most care and maintenance of the roof can be done by using a ladder along side of unit to check seals, clean membrane, etc…
Many folks take their units in a couple times a year to have their dealerships check for the seals around the roof vents, AC’s, etc..

I have talked with folks that do this themselves. Most will be sure they either walk gingerly on the roof truss and some will use a plywood half-sheet as additional support.
Most care and maintenance of the roof can be done by using a ladder along side of unit to check seals, clean membrane, etc…"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #8

South Carolina
Forgot to add this from Customer Service. Ours is an UltraLite.

"Certain units are built with 3/8” decking that does allow for walking on the roof for maintenance, cleaning, etc…They are not designed to have a roof party but they can support a person for the afore mentioned reasons.
Your unit has a laminated roof, and is not designed for walking."
Old 09-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #9

North Carolina
Army Veteran - thank you for your reply and thank you very much for your service ����
Old 09-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Army Veteran - thank you for your reply and thank you very much for your service ����

You are welcome and thank you so much. I appreciate it and accept that on behalf of the Men and Woman who now serve and have served.

Have fun.

Bill
Old 09-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #11

Alabama
It is definitely TPO. Dutchmen has used TPO since the late 90's.
Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revere411 View Post
It is definitely TPO. Dutchmen has used TPO since the late 90's.

Thanks for the info!