2017 Kodiak 286bhsl Grey tank size issue - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2016, 02:44 AM   #1

Alabama
2017 Kodiak 286bhsl Grey tank size issue

Just bought a Kodiak 286bhsl last week. This is our first ever camper. Last weekend we didn't have sewer hook ups and noticed the Grey tank filled up quickly. I thought us being new to this that we just wasn't conserving water.

I see in the specs that the Grey tank size is supposed to be 78 gallons. I did call customer service to with a question due to fact that I have 2 Grey tank valves and what goes to which valve. She stated that the 78 gallons in specs was split in two. That the kitchen sink had a 39 gallon tank and the tub and bathroom sink had a 39 gallon tank.

I have been using the camper the past several days and continue to see how quickly the tub Grey tank fills up even with the best conservation of shower water. I decided today to do a bucket test. I made sure it was completely drained. Then I started filling and pouring 5 gallon buckets of water into the tub until tank was full.

The tank only held 4.5 bucket full (around 22 gallons) until water started standing in tub floor. A big difference between the 78gallons advertised and the 39 gallons stated by customer service. I called the salesman I purchased the camper from and he stated he would check on some things and give me a call tomorrow.

Has anyone else experienced this? A major issue for us if we can't go a weekend without full hook ups.

cglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums!

At the bottom of every brochure and on the website they have this little disclaimer..."Specifications subject to change without notice"

I agree that there is a pretty large difference between 22 and 39.

One trick you can use is to get a twist on valve that fits over the end of your dump line, then leave the gray tank valves open, this will allow the tanks to equalize. When you go to dump, you close the gray valves first, then open the outside valve, to dump the water in the pipe, then proceed as normal.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Welcome to the forums!

At the bottom of every brochure and on the website they have this little disclaimer..."Specifications subject to change without notice"

I agree that there is a pretty large difference between 22 and 39.

One trick you can use is to get a twist on valve that fits over the end of your dump line, then leave the gray tank valves open, this will allow the tanks to equalize. When you go to dump, you close the gray valves first, then open the outside valve, to dump the water in the pipe, then proceed as normal.

Aaron
My sales data sheet that indicates the price and specs does not have the "subject to change notice". In my book there has to be a set of specs as to what a person is buying. That is like buying a truck with a V8 spec to later find out its a V6.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglover View Post
My sales data sheet that indicates the price and specs does not have the "subject to change notice". In my book there has to be a set of specs as to what a person is buying. That is like buying a truck with a V8 spec to later find out its a V6.
RV industry ain't the auto industry...

Aaron
Old 10-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #5

Alabama
False advertising is false advertising though
Old 10-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #6

Alabama
Just called customer service again and they confirmed it is supposed to have two 39 gallon tanks they didn't say anything about that being a flexible "subject to change" spec.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Just called customer service again and they confirmed it is supposed to have two 39 gallon tanks they didn't say anything about that being a flexible "subject to change" spec.
You can continue down the path you are on..

However Dutchman Customer Service is an oxymoron. The RV industry is not held to ANY real standards. I would measure the tank to see what the outside dimensions indicate the volume should be. There are a variety of reasons why it may not hold the amount that they claim. There may be trash in it causing partial blockage, it may be partially crushed from the installation process or it may be the wrong sized tank. Buying an RV is an exercise in Caveat Emptor.

Aaron
Old 10-21-2016, 10:26 PM   #8

Alabama
Right now the dealer is saying they are going to make it right. I am carrying it back to them on Monday for them to look into what is going on. I'm staying positive that they will fix whatever the issue may be.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Right now the dealer is saying they are going to make it right. I am carrying it back to them on Monday for them to look into what is going on. I'm staying positive that they will fix whatever the issue may be.

Good luck. Their RV,s are better then their
So called customer service.......the lady that answers your phone call couldn't care less
She shouldn't be the first one you speak with when calling for help or guidance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
You can continue down the path you are on..

However Dutchman Customer Service is an oxymoron. The RV industry is not held to ANY real standards. I would measure the tank to see what the outside dimensions indicate the volume should be. There are a variety of reasons why it may not hold the amount that they claim. There may be trash in it causing partial blockage, it may be partially crushed from the installation process or it may be the wrong sized tank. Buying an RV is an exercise in Caveat Emptor.

Aaron

I wouldn't say oxymoron, just morons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #11

Alabama
Just to update anyone looking at this in the future. The dealer submitted a warranty claim on this issue and removed the wrong tank and replaced it with the correct tank. All is good now.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Excellent! Glad they fixed it. As you can see, the membership here is sour on dealers and manufacturers, but great on helping fellow campers. Believe me, your experience is one to be cherished with your dealer!!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #13

Alberta
Quote:
Just to update anyone looking at this in the future. The dealer submitted a warranty claim on this issue and removed the wrong tank and replaced it with the correct tank. All is good now.

That's great to hear. Could be a manufacturing error or I've seen manufactures substitute parts when the correct part is out of stock. I'll bet that putting in a smaller tank, that only a few people would have noticed enough to complain.

vincent.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank size